Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Azodyl

debjcav
June 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
my 12 year old husky was recently diagnosed with KD..he was given Azodyl
and a low protein kibble....no matter what i put the capsules is he will not swallow them...and he is not the type of dog that you can open his mouth and put the capsules in....what is the differnce if i open the capsules and sprinkle on the soft food i give him with his kibble...is it not all going to the same place...i just want less stress for him and get him to eat

Winston
June 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
sorry to hear about your husky! can you try to hide the pill in a hotdog or a piece of cheese? sometimes it does make a difference whether you break the pill up. maybe give the vet a call and see if you can do that?

they also have these things called pill pockets that they make for cats...not sure if there is one for dogs but you could ask the local pet store!

good luck and keep us posted how you make out! :thumbs up

debjcav
June 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
i have tried everything...peanut butter, cheese, ham, you name it...he seems to know so he eats or licks around until the pill pops out...hot dogs make him
throw up so thats out....i just figured this was better than anything...i will
check for the pill pockets but i think he will eat around the pill..he is a stubborn husky...i love him to death..

Frenchy
June 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
It usually works here with peanut butter ... I put the pill in a spoon full of PB , the dog usually takes it all in his mouth and but trying to swallow the PB , will swallow the pill too.

sugarcatmom
June 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Azodyl is indeed supposed to be given whole, according to their propaganda, er, I mean literature: http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/pdf/AzodylVetBro.pdf

Since Azodyl is basically just probiotics, what about getting some probiotic capsules from a health food store? Find a high potency brand with several different types of organisms and sprinkle that on your pups food. It would probably be quite a bit cheaper too.

kandy
June 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
They do make pill pockets for dogs - I use them to give Hazel her dasuquin and her pain meds when she needs them. Hazel will also feel around for the pill and seperate it from the treat if given the chance. What I do is put the pill(s) in one pill pocket, but I have another empty one in my hand. I give her the full one while keeping the empty one in plain sight. She swallows the first one quickly so that she can get the second one. Works everytime. :)