Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is it... (not looking for sympathy)

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Why is it the first thing people say when you are first diagnosed with an illness or syndrome that people ask you are you getting rid of your dogs????
Just to put people in the loop, I have recently been diagnosed with left temporal lobe epilepsy.
I have had many people approach me, either from the office, or my friends asking me if I am getting rid of them, they will be too hard on you, too stressful, too this..and that...

My response has not, nor will not change. I will never be giving them up, my daughter and these dogs have been my rock on this crazy journey, I need all of them to help me move on........
The dogs have been more protective since my last hospital visit, Roxy so much I have to watch her closely....
I love them all, they are my life...

Sylvie
June 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I hear you.
First, I know you don't want sympathy and I won't give you any as you have your daughter and Roxy by your side. :thumbs up Things can only improve. However, having said that I will say a prayer for you.

Now on to all the idiots :laughing: that do not know the true pleasure of owning a dog. My reply to them would have been would you get rid of your children?

We foster and sometimes we have 4 or more dogs at one time. One woman asked me why do you have so many dogs, my reply was why do you have so many children. I feel that I do not have to justify my actions to anyone as it does not affect them in any way.

Sorry, I took over your rant. :o

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Thank you for your kinds words. I have started training Harley to pull back a little on a walk with a touch of my hand on his rear, this allows me to use him for balance if needed. He has been doing a great job so far, actually looks like he is proud.
I really do think they will help me with stress I am not allowed to have ( LOL )

luckypenny
June 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Perhaps some of these people don't fully understand the nature of your diagnosis, nor would they understand how therapeutic (not to mention valued family members) pets can be? Have you had seizures Rottielover? Maybe some friends/family are simply worried. Ask "why" next time someone makes such statements to give you an opportunity to explain to them how important your dogs are to you.

:grouphug:

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have been having seizures for the past 7 years not knowing what they were. 4 years ago I blacked out at my office, no one saw the grand mal, I had no clue what happened where I was, hospital thought because I was anemic I passed out. Then after that always have major dizzy spells, wit nausea, starring blankly and such. May 22 I had 3 major seizures at work ( I was told) office saw 2 of them, paramedic witnessed one of them. That is why I was referred to a neuro ASAP. Confirmed yesterday via EEG.
Either way these dogs are going no where, I just have to work with Roxy, long story ask Frenchy, LOL
Harley is calmer on walks, and more attentive which is great. Sanity, I tell you they are my sanity.

cpietra16
June 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I agree with you, Luckypenny,dogs have always been used and trained to live with people who have epileptic seizures, both as therapeutic and helpers. Some dogs can even sense a seizure coming on and will warn you so that you can be prepared.

Sorry Rottielover that you are going thru all this, I know it must be hard on you...AND that is not sympathy...just caring

Love4himies
June 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I am so sorry, rottielover :grouphug:.

Some people just don't understand the closeness we have with our pets.
Would they get rid of their children if they were diagnosed with an illness????

luckypenny
June 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I think perhaps that people who care for you are wondering what would happen if you seizured while walking one or both the dogs. If they are very protective of you, it may be difficult to get help to you asap?

Has your neurologist suggested avenues of treatment yet? And how is Kayla holding up? This must be difficult for her too...please give her a jumbo hug from me.

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I was started on a med at the hospital, with those drugs I was off work because they made me horrible, I had an emg consult with the neuro, she was worried because such severe side effects for the lowest dose, she switched me ASAP, I am now doing ok on these, still seizing though. But have to work my way up with the dosage on these drugs.
Kayla is fine, she does not know the extent of it all being only 5, but I have spoken to her and a neighbor. If mommy falls, she is to run to her asap, and she will come, her husband will keep Kayla at there place.

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words, I really still think I am in shock, the no driving has hit me the most :( as you all know I love to drive. As for walking, I have my cell and my pouch every walk, ordered a medical alert band, and will be set.
I have to admit, I am kind of worried if I fall with the dogs, that roxy will not let anyone near. Harley will just stay next to me, she might do something stupid :(

luckypenny
June 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm sure you've already thought of it but, just in case the neighbors aren't home if needed, Kayla could learn to use 911 and practice luring the dogs into a room with some yummy treats (you could turn it into a fun game for them). Just to make it easier to get help to you without the dogs guarding against strangers (especially ones in uniform) if the situation ever arises.

luckypenny
June 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I have to admit, I am kind of worried if I fall with the dogs, that roxy will not let anyone near. Harley will just stay next to me, she might do something stupid :(

Can you get some friends or neighbors to take walks with you until the dosage of your medication is established? I know this might sound mean to some but maybe get her conditioned to wearing a basket muzzle while you're out with Roxy? Better safe than sorry :shrug:.

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Kalya can already put harley in his crate :), Roxy I honestly do not think she will go, even with yummy treats. The neighbors are retired and are home every night I am thank god.
She does know how to dial 91, but I honestly think she would be in too much shock to do so. This is why I said run to them.

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Unfortunetly no, I walk to early in AM, then lunch, then a couple other times. I so far walks have been the best for me, hoping it stays that way :)

Luvmypitgirls
June 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Rottielover, I just wanted to add that I thought the reply of "why do you have so many children" was a good one!
I too will say a prayer for you and your daughter and your dogs, not out of pity, just out of concern and care for a fellow Pets.ca member.

Mat&Murph
June 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I would like to add that it has been proven that dogs and cats can sence when their owner is going to have a sizeure. They will behave differently, ex. whining, extra cuddles, barking to name a few. Tell ppl that the next time they question your faith in your dogs!!!

Winston
June 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Rottielover I just wanted to tell you about a very good childhood friend I had growing up! she was someone I spent many days with! anyway she started to have grand mal seizures and I experinced a few of them with her. Some were worse than others! However she was prescribed medicine and it probably wasnt easy getting used to some of the restrictions and meds but she has turned out to be very well adjusted to the illness. She works, has a family a life etc etc etc....

I like LP's idea very much about trying to teach Kayla how to get them in another room because although you are the one having the horrible seizure there could be others who have not seen them and they are really unpleasant to witness if not scarey. (I was pretty scared the first time I witnessed one but once I understood more about it I was better with it!)

So Kayla can pretend to be the big girl in charge of the doggies if mommy falls etc..I honestly think she will feel important and that will make her feel better about the situation. Hope that makes sense!

Good Luck with the meds! I think the puppers sense things and Harley probably can if he has adjusted his walks for you!

Rottielover
June 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I believe out of the 2, Harley will. He noticed roxy's Cancer before I did, kept poking same area, driving her nuts when I first got her. Then realized a lump, biopsied it was a tumor. So I feel safe with him around

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
People just have no clue. If anything, you are probably safer because you have them. I've seen so many programs about pets helping owners when they have illnesses. Many become so in tune with their owner, they can actually predict when they will have seizures, for those that suffer from them.

Not to mention the comfort they bring you and the strength you get from them.