Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do dogs eat kitty litter!!!!!!

finallyamommy
June 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hi there

I would like to know if someone could help me... One of my new pups always eats the crap out of the kitty litter.... If I don't get to it first she does.....

Is there a health reason for this......

Thanks for you time!!!!

CClover
June 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hi finallyamommy!
I don't know why they do this but this was my solution to this probleme.
A big RubberMade box with a hole on top made with a cutter (exacto)
If the dog is small you might don't even need the lid...

sugarcatmom
June 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Cat poop is TASTY!!! Actually I have no personal proof of this, but I have heard that because cats typically eat a higher protein food, dogs find their waste matter to be particularly scrumptious.

Gail P
June 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I've also heard that it's to do with the high protein in the cat food. But then again, why do dogs eat horse poop, sheep poop, rabbit poop, chicken poop, goose poop, deer poop...The herbivores certainly wouldn't have a high protein content in the poop and not likely even the omnivores would. I think we just have to face facts and admit it. Dogs like to eat poop. Period. I just wish they didn't want to give kisses right afterwards when they have poop breath. :yuck: Interesting thing I've noted, one kind of poop that my guys don't seem to want to eat is raccoon poop. That kind is just so much better to roll in and get all nice and stinky :yell: :rolleyes:

sugarcatmom
June 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Here's a pretty thorough discussion about canine coprophagia: http://www.responsibledog.net/corophagia.html

I found the part about the lack of digestive enzymes rather interesting.

One way to prevent dogs from litter box snacking (besides picking up the poop right away ;)) is to put a really big cardboard box over top of the litter with an opening facing a wall and only enough room for the cat to get in. Wouldn't work for small dogs, obviously. Plus, the cat would have to approve of this situation or it could decide to eliminate elsewhere.

Another method is to put the litter box higher up out of doggy reach, say on a workbench or table.

lUvMyLaB<3
June 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
My dogs also will love to chomp on cat poo, it is SO GROSS!! Especially since they want to kiss me later that same day.

My solution was to buy a cat litter box that has the lid, my cats actually like the privacy, and I find it cleaner, I then turn the opening about 6" maybe from the wall, the cats can go back there and get in no prob, but the dogs don't. It works great and still looks really tidy! Good luck, they will chomp any chance they get so you really have to make it so they cannot.

It is like cat food, my dogs will eat that too, so my cats eat on top of the dryer.....

Longblades
June 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
That kind is just so much better to roll in and get all nice and stinky Ha! Just wait till they learn to roll first, then eat whatever is left. :(

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Because they are Mom's little helpers. My Beagle, then my Dachshunds and then my American Eskimo all liked to help me out with this. It didn't help that our cats were big - 20 - 22 lbs. and the Dachshunds 10 lbs - so easy access to kitty litter - and our American Eskimo weighs 22 lbs. and so did the cat. Putting the litter high didn't help because our Dachshunds were brilliant and hey, how hard was it to move a chair or something over to help them swing themselves up - and then of course there was the very accommodating cat who would pitch litter down to them. A tasty treat I guess.

finallyamommy
June 9th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies....

That is GREAT. I'm not alone with my doggie snacking problem...

i wanted to make sure that there wasn't any health problems. As now that Jasmin got SICK so quick. I watch out for everything. Anything that is different. I freak out.

If we are out at the Dog park or just on our walk. As soon as I see one eating something. I just lose it... I don't want anything else to happen to my three babies....

My three are big guys. So it not hard for them to jump up.... I put the cat food on the Kitchen Hutch and Tubby still gets it....... But he won't eat his own food. I started giving him chicken and rice. To try to beef him up.... He eats only a little bit and then tries to cover it up with my disk cloth... As you know that mommy just loves that......:frustrated:

We he is 51 pounds as they went for there check up... so I want him to about 57 by the time he gets fixed in July.....

Thanks for all the responses. I will try to turn the litter boxes around.... As they are in little spaces so that might work.....

Oh and the rolling in poop.... Now that sounds like fun cleaning that mess up... My American Staffordshire Terriers Deanta rolled in fish guts... Now that was fun. I had to bath her in Tomato Juice and I could still smell if for weeks....

:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::y uck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

samsmom20
June 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Oh i know all about the rolling in poo.
Sam did it today..conviently right before i had to leave for work.
So off to the tub for a very quick bath....i swear you could smell him blocks away. might have been goose poo....whatever it was, it was green and stinky....ewie! :yuck::yuck::yuck:

dogcatharmony
June 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have to share a funny story with you.

My dog had a "tootsie roll" addiction. I asked my vet and he said the same thing that has already been mentioned. Cat poop is just tasty because of the protien they eat and how much is passed into their waste.

I finally got my dog to not enter the room that was the "cats" bedroom. She knew she was not allowed to go in unless invited.

One night as I was leaving for work I noticed that my dog (Zoe) had an upset belly. She would not go potty for me no matter how many times I took her out before work. So I was getting pretty late for work and just gave up knowing that I was going to come home to a nasty mess probably.

So on coming home first thing I smell walking into the door is poop. I searched high and low, couldn't find anythig. Meanwhile Zoe is hiding guilty under the table. So I go upstairs....and once again search high and low can't find a thing....but the smell is stronger.

So I finally check the cat room, and lone behold poor Zoe tried her best to poop in the litter box. She had horrible diarreha and got her behind as close to the box as possible. She knew that that was where "poop" was suppost to go and tried to use it.

The cats weren't too impressed mind you. But it is possible to teach No to stealing kitty "treats".

Love4himies
June 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Awwww, poor Zoe :grouphug:, but you have to admit it is pretty smart of her to do so.

Gail P
June 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Ha! Just wait till they learn to roll first, then eat whatever is left. :(
No, they haven't started that yet. Though the one that most likes to find the stinky stuff to roll in loves to share. By the time he's done wrestling with the other dogs I don't just have one dog to bathe, I might have 2,3,4...or more :rolleyes: