Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat having problems standing up

edwina
June 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
i had a female cat have kittens near my house, well i of course fed them. Well this one kitten, which is close to a year old now, has had problems with his stability for some time, and its getting much worse. He has gone from being able to walk most of the time, to not being able to walk at all. He can barely sit up, mostly lays around and pulls himself around with his paws. I have to hold him up to eat. It acts like an equilibrium problem. I dont have the money to take him to the vet for them to do alot of tests on him. If some one has an idea then maybe i can help him or the vet bill would be smaller. He has not so bad days where he can sit up, and really bad days, where he just flops around like a fish out of water. There isnt anything wrong with his feet and legs, but he is getting weaker now since he isnt eating properly. :sad:

14+kitties
June 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
The cat needs to go to a vet. There is nothing we can do to help here. A vet needs to run tests to determine what is going on. Hopefully you can come up with some money somewhere to help the poor thing out. :sad:

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Actually, most likely this little one needs to be euthanized. Sounds like the kitten survived panleuk but had neurological damage. If you aren't able to afford a vet, which is understandable for many folks, I would suggest you take this one in to the local SPCA, explain that you help feed local strays and that this one has been rapidly declining. They won't charge you for bringing in a stray and it will be the kindest choice to pts this cat. He/she is a target for several different animals to kill.

I will be crossing through hamilton on sunday if you need a hand.

Love4himies
June 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
This cat really needs to see a vet, not doing anything will surely lead to a horrid death, either by predator or starvation or due to the illness.

Even euthanasia would be more humane than no treatment. :sad:

sugarcatmom
June 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with the above, if you can't take this kitten in to care for it and get it medical help, it should probably be euthanized. If this is cerebellar hypoplasia (a condition affecting the brain that can result from viral infections in utero), there is no way the kitten can survive outside. Some effected cats can make great indoor companions but they need proper supervision and dedicated care. Here is more info:
http://www.starlightrescue.com/whiteBoyz/CH.htm

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hopefully this poster will be back as I'm not sure she's very comfortable here. I'm leaving crack of dawn for toronto so if I you do come back, please respond and I will try to help you and this cat. I will be staying in Niagara overnight on Sunday so am in the area. I don't judge so don't worry about that end of things.

edwina
June 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I will be taking him to the vet, maybe he can give me some antibiotics for infection, in case its an ear infection, if that dont work, then i will have to find money to put him to sleep. :sad:

"Sounds like the kitten survived panleuk but had neurological damage"
He didnt have any of the symtoms of the panleuk virus, he just cant stand. He doesnt vomet and he has an appetite, i just have to feed him because he has no control over his equalibrium. So its either nuerological or an ear infection. I am hoping that the vet will be willing to give me antibiotics to try instead of doing alot of tests that i cant afford. If he isnt i will have to have him put to sleep because i dont want him to suffer, and this is no life for him.

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
If a kitten has panleuk in utero (sp) then you won't see symptoms but will see neurological issues at a later date. Equilibrium can also be affected by a severe ear mite infestation which can also have neurological effects. If you need some help, I don't know if you can get Pm's yet but I will try and pm you my cell # as I will be in your area.

sugarcatmom
June 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
You say the cat is a year old, was he always wobbly or was he normal as a kitten? He may not have actually had panleuk himself, it could have been the mother that had the virus while the kitten was a fetus. This is enough to cause brain damage in some of her offspring. Here is a video of a cat that has cerebellar hypoplasia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQG6V1MOVY

There are other possible causes to his condition, such as toxins/poison, physical injury, malnutrition. When you look at his eyes, do they wiggle back and forth or are they normal? Vestibular syndrome (http://www.cathealth.com/vestibular.htm) affects a cat's balance and is often accompanied by nystagmus. These are all just guesses, only a vet can determine what's really going on and what might be causing it. My fingers are crossed that you can find an easy solution. :fingerscr Let us know how it goes.

edwina
June 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
The video's of those cats with cerebellar hypoplasia looks just like him, especially the little red kitten video. He was fine when he was younger, this has only been going on for the past month (the falling down). He wasnt bad at first, he would just fall, but now he cant do more than sit up. The cat that had him shows up from time to time and looks fine, plus the other kittens she had run around like normal, so i dont know how he ended up with it and they didnt. Thanks for your help. :cat:

Love4himies
June 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I am so glad you are taking him to the vet. I hope the vet has enough heart to try to save this guy with minimal cost.

Good luck and keep us posted.

chico2
June 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Edwina,the same here,good luck to both you and the cat:pray:and please let us know what happens:grouphug:

lUvMyLaB<3
June 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I will be praying for this baby!! If you cannot afford what the vet needs to do, please think about taking him to a shelter. If you can catch the other kittens it might be a good idea that they go to a rescue for a chance at a home, and to make sure nothing happens to them. If this one baby has just been showing signs for a month there could be a chance that these other cats come across the same thing.. Poor babies, and thank you for taking him to a vet, I hope something is done to help the little guy!

edwina
June 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Well i have an update on my stray kitty. It doesnt seem to be a inner ear infection , nor is it distemper leftovers. We seem to think he fell and got neurological effects from it (its affecting his legs and his balance) . He is eating, and i got some Hills prescription diet a/d from the vet for him, to see if he comes out of it. I am having to feed him and wash him by hand right now, but he does have an appetite. But my problem is that if he dont come out of it, i either have to feed him for the rest of his life by hand , or put him to sleep. I am not sure i can take care of a invulant cat, but also that isnt a real life. My struggle is that i feel like a killer if i have him put to sleep because of what he has isnt actually killing him. I will have to make the decision soon. :cry:

edwina
June 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
He was put to sleep yesterday. :cry:

14+kitties
June 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I am so so sorry. :candle::rip: little one. You can run free now at the Rainbow Bridge. :candle: :angel:

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
hard choices eh? but thats our privelege and duty :candle:

sugarcatmom
June 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
My condolences on the passing of this poor little soul. I'm glad that you were able to help him and give him a kind death, even though that must have been very hard for you. :grouphug: