Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Little Rant!

Winston
June 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
So I call today to make an appointment for Winston to have his heartworm test and annual vaccines. I make the appointment and the girl says to me when you come in make sure you bring in a stool sample?? I was silent for a moment and asked her why I need a stool sample for a heartworm test?? She replies you dont!..So I asked politely why I needed it when I just asked for a heartworm test??? she said again you dont?? so now I am mad and asked her then why she asked for that? and she said because thats what they reccomend??? I didnt want to ask why she was recommending it because I think I would have blown a head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D so I just said no that it wouldnt be necessary since he isnt having a stool problem?? or reason to check it??

Always out for the money! Dont get me wrong I like the vet himself but man! I think I should ask him about it!

End of rant!

Frenchy
June 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
wtf does a stool sample has to do with heartworm meds ??? omg it's always $$$ with them ! :wall:

can you imagine , the poor pet owners that don't get the infos themselves ... how much do they spend at their vets for this and for that , just because their vets make them believe , it's for the welfare of their pets :wall:

hazelrunpack
June 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Our vets like to see a stool sample as part of the annual exam. The heartworm test is usually done then, too. So they might just have the same protocol there. It's not a bad idea to have a stool sample checked at least once a year. :shrug: They can tell a lot from a little ****... :p

Sylvie
June 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Winston, when you make an appointment for the annual shots, he also gets a physical exam and they like a stool sample at that time, it has nothing to do with the heart worm test.

From what I saw of him today, he will pass his physical with flying colours.:laughing:

SnowDancer
June 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Winston, when my guy gets his annual shots, plus his heartworm, the stool sample is required - as part of his physical (getting his shots). Toronto vet.

Golden Girls
June 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
IMO If you wanted to have a stool test done you would be bringing one in. If your having no problems why the need to check? I think it's so rude especially seeing your not a newbie with a little puppy.

Once when the receptionist told me "ok will do the annual blood work at the same time" I'm like oh so your paying then :)

Love4himies
June 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Most people are not as educated in pet health as you are, Winston, so maybe the vet likes to check it just in case his client doesn't know what to look for.

Winston
June 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the rant! gotta say though I am a tad disappointed in this vet. He is the same one that my mom spent 550.00 at his office for tests and stuff on Brady her cat to be treated for a UIR? then when it was time to recheck the urine it was going to be another 149.00 ???

I havent seen him since that event but I may nicely mention it to him just for the sake of seniors like my mom! I dont think his office was being fair and my mom couldnt treat Brady at that time due to finances so we had to hope for the best. He appears fine now but ??

As for me I just figured if I wanted to check the stool I would ask for it??? especially since it doesnt relate to heartworm?

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
How annoying. Reminds me of when I had that issue with Czari which wound up being what the others had, something I'd told the vet (not my regular one).

I think vets should listen a little more to owners when it comes to their pets. We are with them more, and you would have known if a stool sample would have been needed, because you would likely have noticed something.

When I take any of mine in, they will sometimes do one of those little samples. Where they put this little thing in their butt and then test it what they get, but that's part of the exam. AND most important, if you tell them they aren't having any stool issues, they won't do it. But like I said, it's part of the exam, so it's not like they charge you more or less.

Etown_Chick
June 6th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I bring a stool sample when I get my dog's annual done for worms. Not heartworms, but hookworms and the like. He goes all over the place so worms are a risk for him. That's the point of the stool sample.
Surprised your vet's assistant didn't know that...very surprised.

Longblades
June 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Some Vets include the stool exam as part of the overall bill anyway so you might be missing out if you don't take one in. Unless they reduce the bill. I agree, the gal on the phone should either have known why it was requested or gotten a Vet to talk to you.

Frenchy
June 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM
IMO If you wanted to have a stool test done you would be bringing one in. If your having no problems why the need to check?

Ditto GG !

I would think an annual blood test should be more important than a stool test ! And to ask for a stool sample , when the owner already has to pay for the heartworm test and then the meds , is a bit much to ask IMO. Like I said , it's all about the $$$.

TacoGrl
June 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I don't get it...if the stool looks fine, why would you have to bring it in? :shrug:

A also agree that vets charge too much for things...I mean if you spend say $1000 between treament, tests and a visit, they still charge for a follow-up visit to make sure things are ok after the meds and all they do is look at eyes, check temp and feel for lumps :rolleyes: I should think the follow-up should be included and they sure get all pissy when I say that...I usually also say they seem fine, the swelling has gone down etc., so I see no need to spend any more money at this time...that usually gets a snotty response...you can tell they are hurting for $$$...oh well, we all are.

As was previously stated, we live with our pets-we know when something is out of sorts or when everything is fine.

I try to do the best for my furbabies and would appreciate a vet who didn't abuse that...they will get their money...I bring my cats in regularly and if they keep pushing me and/or laying guilt trips on me, guess what, someone else will get my money. :frustrated:

grrrrrrr...touchy subject for me :frustrated: