Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I know what my baby is finally!

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Okay we took my baby to a family in the church to see if they could tell us for sure what he was and they said a Brittany dog. And than we took him to the local shelter and they said the same. I am so exicited I wanted to know what he was but I was like even if he is a mut I do not care he is still my baby. Okay what I need is any information or help you can give me on the breed. What breeds are they a mix of? Any help would be greaty appreciated.

This is what I know about him....
1. He is SO FULL of energy
2. He is starting to point at things a little
3. Wonderful with children
4. Weighs 16.9 pounds (he was only 7.9 when we found him)
5. Very good natuerd
6. IS A BIG LAP BABY
7. Loves walks and outside playing (Have not went to the park since Parvo is very cont. to other dogs, I do not want any other babies getting sick)

Thank you for all the help! :D

Babs
August 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM
It sounds like you have a WONDERFUL dog!

It sounds like would like to know so you can get to know more about your dog, and that is the importance of breed. Do you suspect it is a cross breed, or purebred? Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

One thing you do need to consider is that unless your dog is tatooed or has registration papers, it is very difficult to accurately guess the type of dog you might have. Reports have proven that even with DNA testing it is very close to impossible to accurately guess a breed of dog.

So the best thing you can do is make an educated guess... like it sounds you have done. Don't get discouraged if some people say it's something other than Brittany... just look up as much info as you can find on every possibility :)

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM
No if I had to guess he is a mixed dog. He does look alot like Brittany dogs and he is starting to point a little. I would be fine no matter what he was he is just my baby. :D We have out digtal camera on layaway so as soon as it gets out I will get some maybe in the mean time I can go get some if the pictures of him on a cd and download them. I will see if that will work I will go after work tonight and try to get them done. Thank you for responding I have got on google and did a search and they sound like a wonderful breed. But no matter what I am happy, just sometime makes it nice so you can tell what you are working with a little more. :D

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 11:40 AM
More pictures please :D Brit's are beautiful dogs

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 01:06 PM
He is so pretty. I went home on my lunch break and Justin and I took him on his lunck walk (he gets three a day) and he found a girl friend. Outside of the fact this dog is a great dane and is 15 times as big as him and she was so not interested. He thinks she is playing hard to get LOL :eek: So they played and walked and than I am back at work. I will get pictures as soon as I can to let you all see.

LUBA: Thank you for all your help, I really think that if it was not for everyone here (you the most) and a wonderful vet that my baby would not be here with us! Thank you, oh by the way we changed his name from Marshmellow to Meat Loaf. (He was getting to many spots for a Marshmellow). So we have Cry Baby and Meat Loaf (the cat hates him so bad, he does not even like to look at him)! ;)

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Meatloaf HAHAHAHA! Thats so funny!

A girlfriend that's a great dane huh, sounds like those danes get around a lot.

Lovely that you thought to thank me, that is very sweet. The way I see it though, if we can't share kindness in our lives with others and help them with what we know or believe to know then what good are we as people?

I can just see your little Meaty running around while Meatloaf songs are playing in your home 'Paradise by the dashboard light'

Soooo funny :D

Nicknames: Meaty, Meatball, Meathead lol ;)

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Justin calls him Meat head, Meat or NO LOL!!!! He is a hand full :D It think we are going through his terrible two LOL but it is worth it all. We had to go invest in three baby gates but that is okay we are making it through. Is it bad that I do not cage him through the day or when we are sleeping?

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Is it bad that I do not cage him through the day or when we are sleeping?

Baby gating him in an area is much better then crating :D you're doing wonderfully!!

Brits are fantastic dogs but you'll come to know they need a LOT of exercise. Get some doggie frisbee's they LOVE them!!

Playmates to run and play with are ideal for this breed. If you have an off leash doggie park, that will be your peace of mind.

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I wish we did have the doggie park, I am afraid to even take him to the normal park because Parvo is cont. for so long after ward. So we go around the sub division. And we have a fenced in back yard we play with the water hose and tennis balls in there all the time. He is rotten we went to a flea market the other day when we took off for the week end (he went to) we got him a toy box that says Meat Loaf's toys stay out Mr. Cry!! :D I bought him all of these toys (alot of toys) and his favorite toys are my monkey slippers (that are his now) and one of my bras (that is his as well) he carries his bra everyhwere he wants to take it one walks. I will be like Meat Loaf i am going to get your bra and he will take off after it. We had company over yesterday and he brought it out and wanted everyone to play with it. Than him and his girlfriend play in his baby pool in my back yard alot. They love it. :D

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Oh my bad re parvo (stupid Luba)

Monkey slippers and a bra haahah! Thats really great toys you got there!

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Yeah but pretty soon he will be able to go out more around other dogs. But we are making the best of it right now. He is my MIRACLE BABY! :D

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Without you, he wouldn't be. You deserve big wet sloppy doggie kisses :D

Sadie and me think ur a great mama!

Princesss04
August 12th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Thank you! I could not have done it without all of your help. Thanks to you and your fur baby! :D Big kiss from me and Meat Loaf (watch out he likes girls ALOT) :D