Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loki learned a new trick... and she's 8!

Babs
August 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM
So much for the theory, "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks"!

OMG LOL I wish I had a camera!

Now and then, I like to give Loki refresher courses on all her tricks. She LOVES learning new tricks, and is a very willing student.

So we worked on the following last night:

Speak
Bow (she bows her head slightly, more of a nod)
Sit
Lie down
Shake paws (left or right, depending which hand I extend)
Dance (she gets up and balances on her hind legs)

Ok, so the newest one I call "hugs and kisses".

I put the cookie in my mouth, and she stays there sitting until I say "hug", and make a motion with my arms. Then, she'll get up on her hind legs and "hug" me, with her head outstretched to my face, and she "kisses" me while taking the cookie out of my mouth.

The idea is to train her only to jump up when people say it's ok, on command.

(My husband won't put the cookie in his mouth, he just holds it up high LOL)

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2004, 12:53 PM
How adorable!! I would love to see a pic of Loki "dancing"!! :p

I don't really know how to teach tricks and the only ones my Chloe knows are "High Five" and "Gimme a kiss".

One trick I would love to teach her is "Get into the tub yourself so I don't have to break my back lifting you". :rolleyes:

Babs
August 12th, 2004, 05:36 PM
LOL I like the tub one.

Loki was easy... she loves to eat! Bit of a piggy really... anything that means "food", I've got her full attention hehe :)

foxynikky69
August 12th, 2004, 05:39 PM
awwww, I really need to learn how to teach my new 3 month old puppy some tricks, I think shes ready and egar to start learning, shes pretty good at sit though :P

Babs
August 12th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Puppies are the best time to start :) They love to learn! They love the attention! So eager to please their new pack!

chico2
August 12th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I actually put a treat between my teeth and my Chico(cat)will take it,great way to get a kiss :D

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Ahh so very sweet !