Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Insurance

Mark & Capone
June 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I am hoping this is the best place to ask, if not I can move my question. We have two BIG doggies. An English Mastiff and a Lab. I am thinking about getting Pet Insurance, as anything that they might need will be costly.

So do you have pet insurance? What do you think about getting it? And if so, what company do you have? Pros, cons? any info. or experience would be great.

thanks

Missty

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the board. Your boys are handsome.

There are a few decent sites for pet insurance. I had it for a while, but when I just had two cats. I've got 5 now and it can get pricey, but I did manage to find a company that seemed to be pretty good. Just waiting to get back on my feet before I enroll the gang.

The only bad thing about pet insurance is, you have to pay up front first, then wait to be reimbursed.

There are several companies to choose from. Just do a search for "Pet Insurance". You'll get the most popular. VPI, which I've heard is good, PetCare, also another decent one. Pets Best is another.

The ASPCA also offers insurance. You just need to compare the plans and prices to see which suits you best in terms of coverage and premium.

sugarcatmom
June 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Here's a good site with reviews of various pet insurance plans:
http://www.petinsurancereview.com/

Sujaki
June 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I think your best bet, instead of getting insurance, is to save up money for your pets.

I've heard of lots of people not being pleased with most insurance providers; if you bring a dog to the vet for a little sniffle, they'll mark the dog as high risk for lung/breathing problems or whatever, and will take that off the policy or something, claiming the animal is 'high risk'.

If you'd spend 100 dollars a month or so on insurance that you may never had to use or will screw with you, start saving instead. That way, you're pretty much set, cause you know where the money is going and you can do what you have to with it- for example, if you end up in a bad situation financially, the saved money can help you pay for food and general care... Insurance wouldn't give you that.

SnowDancer
June 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Face it, it is a crap shoot. Check out the various plans and then check out the most common health problems suffered by your dogs' breeds and see if they are covered by the plans you look at. (Unfortunatley it isn't always the afflictions common to the breed that get you though - unless you have a Dachshund, then count on the back problem). Then see what the insurance will cost you a month - and then if too high and you want to start a savings plan, do so - and pray that your pet doesn't have a major event in the first couple of years. My former Dachshunds' surgeries each cost $6,000 and they weren't covered - and they were young dogs. There are many plans available now - used to be mainly deluxe types of plans - before increase in competition for the pet insurance dollar. We had a plan in the 1980s that cost $80 a month and paid basically zip. I would avoid the plans that cover annual visits as they are very costly. Of course you are in U.S. so different than Canada. But if you do take it out, get it while your dogs are young and before anything happens - say ACL - you don't want your dog to suffer a torn ACL in one leg, because there is an 85% chance it will then hit the other leg and neither will be covered. But if coverage is in place before first leg blows then both will be paid for - same with Patellar Luxation. Hasn't happened to my guy yet, but he has very long legs and is kind of klutzy.