Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartworm testing and medication

Guinness' mom
June 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I have had a lot of mixed advice about Heartworm testing and medication...so I decided to go to the experts...and ask your advice. ! do you have your dog tested yearly? And how do you feel about the medication which one is preferred? I live 45 north of TO and go to a family cottage outside of Peterborough. Guinness is 2 now (LAB) and I have given him medication prior, just not all 6 months (ie.November)

Chaser
June 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
My vet tests every other year, so long as the dog was on heartworm prevention the year before.

We use Revolution. I have some mixed feelings about all the chemicals in prevention treatments, but also worry about the risk of heartworm. It's a tough choice to make :shrug:

BenMax
June 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
We have received 6 rescues positive for heartworm. Based on this - I have my dog tested and she is on Revolution.

Masha
June 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
We have our guy tested every year and he is on Sentinel June-November every year.

Guinness' mom
June 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks chase mom...then I am not the only one feeling this way:frustrated:
I love my big MASSIVE brown furry "son"...lol. But so many friends say it is harmful and that then infection rate does not warrant the possible side effects. And I have been very untrustful of vets since I had to put my Dylan down. I just cannot find someone I trust that just loves animals and is not just out for the cash. And it frustrates me how they are not governed in their fees:mad:
I am in the dental field and we atleast have a fee guide( now mind you they can charge above but most dentists do not.) I do not want you to think its all about $ cause it is not. Though it is harder lately, for I am sure most of us to budget our homes and expenses.

Guinness' mom
June 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
wow Benmax what area do you live in?...Is Heartworm on the rise again?...Through some research I have read the test can give a false positive so its so confusing

BenMax
June 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
wow Benmax what area do you live in?...Is Heartworm on the rise again?...Through some research I have read the test can give a false positive so its so confusing

Some where in town, and others on the outskirts. There are no borders as to where it is found. BTW - we got one beautiful golden that was heart worm positive AND Lyme disease.

ScottieDog
June 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Not an expert. I have my dogs tested yearly and give HeartGuard Plus monthly. I am in the Southern U.S. and we have mosquitoes pretty much year round. Heartworm is a real problem here.

Before bringing our new adult dog home, her previous owner made sure she was heartworm tested (and results negative), gave me documentation for my vet and also provided me with 3 months of her treatment.

My senior dog's geriatric blood panel includes a free heartworm test. When he was younger, my vet would do every other year since my dog didn't like blood draws, but this was only because the vet knew I gave the preventative monthly.

hazelrunpack
June 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
We have our dogs on it year-round, too--we use Heartgard Plus because it also offers some protection against some worms. As long as the dogs are on it 12 months of the year, we only test every other year. :shrug:

SnowDancer
June 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
We live in Toronto and test yearly. My Eskimo gets chewable Sentinel due to the joys of trying to apply the topical to his double-coated neck (chewables now recommended by manufacturers and vets since often full dose isn't absorbed by double-coated breeds due to lack of skill by Moms and Dads) - and we didn't want to shave a spot every month. We now give him Sentinel year round - this is second year - expensive yes - but with our so called warmer winters - when snow melts in Jan. and ground is exposed, worms etc. are eaten by many dogs - mine included - which ends up with trips to the vet. My husband thought that since our dog is on Sentinel year round that he wouldn't have to be tested yearly, but I knew he would be wrong - a few patients were not consistent with the day of the month that Heartworm was given - say 4 or 5 days off here and there - and during that period, the mosquitoes bit the dogs. My guy was tested during his annual physical, on his birthday - April Fool's Day.