Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another new kitten question or two or three

coppperbelle
June 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Luna was meowing this evening and going into corners in the kitchen and dining room. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and tried feeding her thinking she may be hungry. I was wrong, she had to poop. She didn't use her litter box which is down in the basement but chose a corner in my dining room. It's hard to believe a little thing like her can smell so bad.:eek: Her poop is still mushy. :yuck:
What can I give her to firm her up a bit? Is it normal that she didn't use her litter box? Is it possible that she didn't remember where it was?

sugarcatmom
June 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
What is Luna eating? Is it the same food that she was fed at the pet store?

I suspect the pooping in the dining room was because she was feeling icky. Whenever my cat has diarrhea or constipation, he goes somewhere other than the litter box, usually a place he feels "safe" or hidden, like under the bed or behind the couch. I really think Luna would benefit from some probiotics (not yogurt, but capsules from a health food store). Slippery elm bark would also help firm things up, but the probiotics should be useful for rebalancing her intestinal bacteria.

Forgot to mention, it might be a good idea to put another box upstairs somewhere if you can. Sometimes with young kittens (especially if they have GI issues), by the time they realize they gotta go, they don't have enough time to make it all the way downstairs. As she gets older, you can move the extra box to the basement.

coppperbelle
June 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Thanks so much for your help. How much slipper elm would I give her? My husband mentioned that maybe we should get a second litter box upstairs.

sugarcatmom
June 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
How much slipper elm would I give her?

Just a pinch mixed in with some wet food, from 2-4 times a day. Add a couple tsps of extra water along with it.

Love4himies
June 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
How old is this kitten? If the kitten continues I would put a kitten litter box where he/she is going to the bathroom. They are still babies so it takes time to get some of them completely litter box trained.