Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

You know you love your dog when...

RuffNTumble
August 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
So I'm off today, on a legitimate day off. Having a cup of coffee while I read the posts here... oh yeah, major addict since December... (or three, Cactus Flower, I hear ya!), eating a little toast (FINALLY found reasonably priced Skippy crunchy peanut butter.. yum...) and my new dog (I know, I know Luba, PICTURES! My sister took some awesome ones, but I can't figure out how to post them.. help?) is in the other room, finally able to sit, sleep, snore or drool (she's a neo mastiff) without seeing me (a little anxious to be alone, her previous owner left her alone for 18 hours and a day and fed her about once every four days, thank GOD she was taken away from him) and I can hear her chewing. I bought her a "ring rope" for her to chew on, because mastiffs = chewers (and we did name her Chewy, but after Chewbacca) and she LOVES it.. but this morning, what does she love more? MY BRAND NEW, REMARKABLY EXPENSIVE NEW BALANCE RUNNING SHOES :eek:
So I come over to pet her, because I'm proud of how well she's adjusting. And I see her, with her HUGE mouth, all over my SHOE! I gasp, I take the shoe and then... I give it back to her. What can I do? It's ruined anyway, and she's not chewing on the couch, or the comforter... or the mattress.. no no, she's throwing my new shoe around, like the newly happy puppy she is. <sigh> I am SO owned by this dog. haven't had her a week. Yup, I'm whipped.

So in hindsight, her name does, in fact, pun fully intended, match her personality. Well, I'm off now, might as well give her the other one to chew on as well. I need more coffee.

Ruffy

sammiec
August 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
That's a very cute (and expensive) story! Thanks for sharing. I have been fortunate enough that Briggs has not taken a liking to any shoes. But she did however enjoy some dry wall, a weaved cotton throw rug, white out, the corner of my DVD cabinet and a littel chew of a blanket that I placed in her crate. Oh and she REALLY enjoys to eat Kleenex boxes - but she leaves the kleenex itself intact, the box is ALL over the carpet!!! Guess it comes with the territory! How can you not love it, it's all replacabel, but the love and loyalty - this can NEVER be replaced! :)

Cinnabear
August 12th, 2004, 10:40 AM
:D Gasp not your new shoes. Well it looks like a fun toy for her.

Congrats on your new dog and hopefully she won't chew another new pair of shoes.

Cactus Flower
August 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
LOL yep that is pretty whipped but I am in NO position to point fingers.

You realize of course that Chewy has just been told it's ok to chew on shoes, and you'll have to put the ones you don't want her chewing on well out of reach. When you have company, make sure they put theirs well out of reach also. As long as you remember to do this, I don't see anything wrong with it......I just worry about the day someone forgets to put their shoes up....or maybe one day you'll be with her at a friend's house.....

I had a beagle that loved to tear apart books. She would hold the book open with both paws and tear out a page at a time, until the book was empty. I used to get cheapies at yard sales and thrift stores specifically for her to de-page.

I'm glad you got a day off to rest and relax.
(How many cups did you have? :D )

mastifflover
August 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Glad to hear she is settling in. You sound like you have totally fallen in love with her. Great to hear she is eating well even if they are shoes.