Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dachshund.....

belly
August 12th, 2004, 01:51 AM
We have had a problem with our dachshund zac peeing in our home. He is already 6 and we need help. He is the best dog someone can have besides this problem.Any Advice.

Babs
August 12th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Does it pee when it gets excited or nervous? Or is it just being stubborn with housebreaking?

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2004, 12:30 PM
We need more information.

How long has he been doing this? Is he neutered? Is he actually lifting his leg and marking?

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Dachshunds are notoriously difficult when it comes to housebreaking.
6months or 6 years?? How long have you had the dog and are these accidents when 'nobody' is home to let him out or just 'any time'?

belly
August 12th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Zac is 6 years old. The problem has been going on and off since we got him when he was about 6 months. He was originally my sisters, but she is not a dog person and confused him about his peeing habit. Zac is about 75 percent trained, and he is neutered. Our carpets were recently changed and he will not go on the new carpets, which I believe has to do with instinct and sent. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to change the rest, and we don't know what to do. He can be quite nervous especially when we leave the house. We let hm outside before we leave and when we get home, but we mostly don't have a problem when we leave the house (we will not leave him for long). He does lift his leg. Zac is constently going outside doing his business, but no matter how much we let him out he still seems to do it. We lift his water up at night aswell. We are also a little concerned about how often and how much is peeing. Any answers!

dudeicez
August 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM
I have 4 months old miniature dashshund ....
maybe you guys who have older dashshunds can give me advices about this breed behaviour..
ross (my dog's name) is such a lovely dog, very very good personality....
he is still on his spotty trainning now... doing pretty well but accidents happen with a puppy..
I am curious about something though.. my puppy has a very very very low self esteem... it seems like he is very very sensitive...
when he hears something loud like kids running and screaming or even thunder, his ears would go down and he would just lay as if somebody just yelled at him..

He sometimes get scared when I call him... is it because I give too much eye contact? he seems intimidated with my eye contanct

Or all of this is just because he is still a puppy and very small?
thank's

Luba
August 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Dachshunds are notoriously difficult to housetrain some of them continue to be difficult into their adult lives.

Sorry to break that to ya....but you may want to consult someone with knowledge on the breed specifically. Best of luck.