Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help Me Make a Choice

EndOfFashion
June 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
I really need the understanding and support of the pets.ca crowd now more than ever.

Some of you know we've been looking for a buddy for Milo for a while now. For a while we were having no luck but now I'm finding myself torn between two dogs. I really need some help deciding whether I am doing the right thing.

Yesterday my BF and I drove to an SPCA in a nearby town. Because of major traffic we ended up getting there only 25 mins before they were to close. I was captured by one dog in particular, AJ. He was a medium, non-descript kind of dog - a hound mix, mostly black with tan points, with floppy ears and a wagging tail. He reminded me so much of the time I saw our Charlie at the THS. AJ looked so sad in his crate, until I crouched to speak to him and the tip of his tail started gently wagging and then he finally got up and moved closer to me. His description sounded great - good with dogs, cats, kids; would fit in with almost any family.

We didn't have time to act before they closed, so we had to leave. Because AJ wasn't exactly what we were looking for, I perused some more online today. I found a little Pug mix girl at a rescue 2 hours away, and sent an e-mail inquiring about her. The rescue got back to me pretty soon - with an application - and she sounds great as well.

The Pug mix is what we were looking for. She's the little girl I wanted (since we already have 2 boys), she's smallish, she's younger (more puppy energy for Milo) - her name even sounds cute with Milo's (yes I know how superficial that is, but I kind of believe in fate). And she has all the good qualities we were looking for. But I absolutely can't get AJ out of my head. His image makes me cry. I feel awful for leaving him behind. He's adorable but not special-looking, and he's black - and I know that statistically black dogs are less likely to find homes. He's probably bigger than what most condo dwellers are looking for, and he's sitting in a tiny crate while the Pug mix is being spoiled in her foster home. Am I doing the wrong thing? I don't want to adopt AJ just because I feel sorry for him - but I don't know if it's more than that. I am literally sobbing as I write this. I can't imagine leaving him behind. I'm so overwhelmed by all of the sweet souls needing homes.

The ridiculous thing is, there's no guarantee we would be approved for either one of them, so this could all be totally premature. For all I know, AJ might need a house, no apartments (he is a hound, after all - although he didn't bark once while we were there). On the other hand, the rescue seems to think we would be a good fit for the Pug mix. I've also always heard it's easier to manage two dogs of the opposite sex. There's also no guarantee that AJ will still be there on Sunday when I'm able to go back to the shelter.

I know nobody can tell me which dog to get. I just need to know I'm not a bad person for choosing one over the other. I can't stop thinking about AJ in his crate, with his big brown eyes - he honestly seemed to be quietly begging us to take him home.

Please please help. I'm so torn and I can't stop crying over AJ.

Shaykeija
June 1st, 2009, 11:47 PM
So when you picking up AJ? I think your heart has spoken....loudly:lovestruck:

Chaser
June 1st, 2009, 11:53 PM
I think we all go through this. Every time I go to the SPCA or browse their website I know I'm setting myself up for heartbreak. I always think that I can find the space and money for just one more....but the reality is you have to do what's right for your family - both human and fur. I have to stop myself and remember that Kailey isn't totally rehabilitated with other dogs yet, and Chase has picked up some of her bad habits. Plus, future hubby is still only working part-time. Sure, we could squeeze in one more, but it wouldn't necessarily be the best situation for that dog, or for our other two.

I can't help you make your decision, but I can remind you that true animal lovers struggle with these tough choices all the time. The fact is both the dogs need homes and if you adopt either one of them you are still rescuing a dog and that's a very good thing. :grouphug:

Winston
June 2nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Couldnt have said it any better than Chasesmom! :thumbs up

The fact is both the dogs need homes and if you adopt either one of them you are still rescuing a dog and that's a very good thing.

Thank you for choosing a rescue!!

coppperbelle
June 2nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
So when you picking up AJ? I think your heart has spoken....loudly:lovestruck:

My thoughts exactly. I think you have made a choice in your heart.
Good luck!:thumbs up

Melinda
June 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
find out first if anyone else is interested in AJ, call the pound to inquire, if there is then you can set your mind at east that he will not be put down. (I personally love large black dogs and will always adopt them first for the reason you spoke of, there are more of them in pounds) then call the rescue to see if anyone besides you has any interest in the pug girl. Maybe that will help you decide? What ever you do, I wish you luck, decisions are so hard to make.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Shaykeija, I read your post last night and I started bawling again, so I had to get off the computer and go to bed - otherwise I might never have fallen asleep. :cry:

Everyone else, thank you so much for your kind words and your support. I know deep down they both need homes, but it just feels like one is in a more dire situation than the other. Although this shelter is a no-kill facility, I feel terrible leaving a sweet dog like AJ in his tiny crate. He doesn't deserve that.

Melinda, I think I will call the shelter and the rescue. That was one of my concerns, that AJ could be gone before I can get back to the shelter anyways.

I'm also worried that I'm thinking of adopting AJ just because I feel sorry for him - I know that's not a good reason to adopt a dog. On the other hand, Macey (Pug mix) is everything we wanted, and I am very taken by her as well...

BenMax
June 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I think you should go with the dog that suits you and your family situation. Don't feel sorry for either dog. Be focused on what you want and follow your head AND heart combined.

On a personal note - I would rather see you take AJ only because he is in a shelter. BUT - if it is no-kill then don't worry. Why not be his guardian angel? Sponser him until adoption.

I do know just by reading that you want the pug mix. If that is the case then get that application together and send it.

mollywog
June 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
hi EofF- I know what you are going through. I make the mistake of browsing Petfinder, rescue sites, and HS sites all too often and usually end up falling in love with at least one sad face every time.
Are you able to bring Milo to meet each potential dog? Or could you arrange a "trial sleepover"? I was interested in adopting a dog from the local shelter here a month ago or so, just absolutely fell in love with her. I was almost 90% sure, so I was allowed to bring her home for a 2 hr playdate with Molly. Let's just say it didn't go over so well- they did NOT get along well and I returned her to the shelter relieved that I had not made a quick decision. She has since been adopted, and I know that the right dog will come along eventually.
Good luck- this is a big decision so really try to think it through from all angles. :grouphug:

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
BenMax - I feel like they would both suit us. :sad: The only thing about AJ is that he wasn't what we set out looking for (appearance/breed-wise) but from his description it sounds like his personality would be a good match. Should I stick to my original plan? As I wrote that last sentence I realize I'm letting my heart take over when it comes to AJ...

Mollywog - we did have Milo with us at the shelter. AJ seemed fine through the cage, was the only dog that didn't bark. We didn't have a chance to get him out to meet face-to-face because we got there so late, but of course if we go back I'll be bringing Milo along for a meet & greet. With Macey it's the same thing - they would arrange a time for her to meet Milo. So like I said, maybe this is all premature. Maybe one or both of them won't get along with Milo (he CAN be annoying :laughing:). I just need to figure out which one to try out first, I guess :confused: I don't want to get to a point where I've met both of them and then have to make a decision, because I feel like it will be even harder if everything goes well with both.

diandpat
June 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
EOF I can only say that sometimes you get the dog you want and sometimes you get the dog you need :shrug: I have not chosen either of my dogs...they both picked me :laughing: I had always wanted two goldens puppies boy/girl.

Ginger lived in the house we bought and we adopted her along with it despite she was already a seven year old golden. She will be 15 the end of the month and I can't imagine life without her :lovestruck:

My "male golden" ended up being this feisty little terrier mix who ran out in front of my car one night. I took him home because it was late but had NO intention of keeping him. I WANTED a male golden. Well, that was six years ago and, again, can't imagine life without Hobo either. :cloud9:

I am sure if I had gotten my puppy goldens life would have been great but I ended up in "another plan" and feel completely blessed. :highfive:

Really, you can't go wrong :goodvibes::goodvibes:

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Diandpat, does that mean you're rooting for AJ?

aslan
June 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I think she's saying, that we don't always choose which pet we want. My two week vacation turned into a fluffy golden retriever pup at about day 4. Sometimes the animal that needs, wants or is just meant to adopt us is put in our path. I know it will cause more stress but i think you should give both dogs the same chance and meet the little pug too. When actually meeting her she may NOT be the dog for you.

diandpat
June 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I am just saying that sometimes what we think will make us happy is not the only thing that will make us happy :shrug:

As I said, you can't go wrong ;)

BenMax
June 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Ok - I am a PERFECT example of having a breed I absolutely would have never considered.

After my rott died, I was looking for a male rottie or male rottie mix. 1.5 years of searching and yes I met quite a few that would have suited my 'ideal' wants.

Then I fostered a miserable little, pesty 5 lbs Min Pin. Horrible little thing she was. I would look at her and say 'nope - not for me'! Little dogs were never ever a want.

1.5 years later.....Julia is mine. I absolutely love, love, love this bratty little stubborn biachhhh. But she is mine and no rottie would ever take her place. I would not trade her for anything!

I went from owning big breeds (130 lbs) to a wee one (now 7 lbs). It was just meant to be and I would not have it any other way!

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks ladies. Aslan, maybe I will meet both. I'll have to run the idea by my BF - he's a little more attached to Macey but I think it would be easier to meet AJ first because there's less of a commitment, if that makes sense?

Diandpat, I know what you mean. I don't know why I'm struggling with this so much, I'm sure I would be happy with either one but I feel worse about leaving AJ behind simply because of the situation he's in. I think I will call the SPCA first to find out more about AJ - this situation is made more difficult by the fact that AJ is an hour away (more, if there's traffic) and Macey is 2 hours away :sad:

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Ok - I am a PERFECT example of having a breed I absolutely would have never considered.

After my rott died, I was looking for a male rottie or male rottie mix. 1.5 years of searching and yes I met quite a few that would have suited my 'ideal' wants.

Then I fostered a miserable little, pesty 5 lbs Min Pin. Horrible little thing she was. I would look at her and say 'nope - not for me'! Little dogs were never ever a want.

1.5 years later.....Julia is mine. I absolutely love, love, love this bratty little stubborn biachhhh. But she is mine and no rottie would ever take her place. I would not trade her for anything!

I went from owning big breeds (130 lbs) to a wee one (now 7 lbs). It was just meant to be and I would not have it any other way!

BenMax, I've always been a big dog kind of girl myself. I've wanted a Dobe since I was like 10 years old! Now we have Milo and I love him to pieces (still want my bigger dog when we have our own place, though!). I think partially what I'm struggling with is that I've already e-mailed about Macey and the rescue says our home sounds perfect for her. I have the application and I'm scared that if I back out now I'll be letting them down. Not to mention that my boyfriend is more attached to the little Pug mix...I have to take his feelings into consideration

Love4himies
June 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
You, your partner and Milo need to meet both dogs before you make a decision or else you will always wonder if you made the right one.

The looks of a pet is NEVER important, the personality should be what is the determining factor of whether the pet will fit into your home.

BenMax
June 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
BenMax, I've always been a big dog kind of girl myself. I've wanted a Dobe since I was like 10 years old! Now we have Milo and I love him to pieces (still want my bigger dog when we have our own place, though!). I think partially what I'm struggling with is that I've already e-mailed about Macey and the rescue says our home sounds perfect for her. I have the application and I'm scared that if I back out now I'll be letting them down. Not to mention that my boyfriend is more attached to the little Pug mix...I have to take his feelings into consideration

I think you have your mind made up already. Go with what is right for YOU. Boyfriends come and go...heck so do husbands.:laughing:.

If he is adopting the dog - then it's his choice. If you are taking responsibility for the dog - then it's your choice.

BenMax
June 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
You, your partner and Milo need to meet both dogs before you make a decision or else you will always wonder if you made the right one.

The looks of a pet is NEVER important, the personality should be what is the determining factor of whether the pet will fit into your home.

Well put L4H!:thumbs up

rainbow
June 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I agree with L4H and, personally, would let Milo make the decision.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
That's exactly it, AJ is perfect because of his temperament and personality (as it was described in his description). I don't care much about his appearance, I'm just saying that the only thing he has against him is that he wasn't what we were looking for to begin with - and that's a pretty superficial reason. It's like passing up a great guy just because he's not your "type". I said in my other thread that the only dogs I wasn't interested in considering were hounds. LOL oops too late. As for Macey - well, she sounds perfect too, I'm not just considering her because she's a Pug mix. Like I said, I actually prefer bigger dogs! The thing about Macey is that it actually sounds like she would be a better match for Milo. I'm not sure if I'm being selfish about wanting AJ, because although it said he gets along well with other dogs, the ideal would be a dog that matches Milo in energy and is up for playing practically all day long...

Either way, I know I can't make a decision at this point. I will have to meet both of them, with Milo and the BF in tow. I was trying to avoid that because I knew it could make the decision harder (although if either one doesn't get along with Milo, it would be an easy choice). I've called and left a message about AJ just to see if they think he would be okay in an apartment. Otherwise, I'm sending the application in for Macey, and I'll wait to hear back about setting up a meet & greet. In the meantime, we'll head over to the SPCA on Sunday to meet AJ properly. Wish me luck, everyone :fingerscr

aslan
June 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Just wondering EOF if when you fill out the applications if you tell them you are close to a couple large (on leash) parks. Since i know where you are i know what's available around you.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Aslan, I did tell them that we like to go to an off-leash dog park on weekends (Jack Darling in Mississauga - although now it's closed for weekends until labour day!). I didn't mention Marie Curtis or Col. Samuel Smith. Why, do you think I should? I haven't sent the application yet as I'm waiting for the rescue to answer a question I have about the app, so I can still add that info...

aslan
June 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I would be more inclined to go to ON leash not off. And depending on the shelter they may not like Off leash either. I would just tell them you have several parks close to you. You have a half decent park just south of you right down at the lake. Most evenings you will find several doggie parents and their babies.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I would be more inclined to go to ON leash not off. And depending on the shelter they may not like Off leash either. I would just tell them you have several parks close to you. You have a half decent park just south of you right down at the lake. Most evenings you will find several doggie parents and their babies.

Yeah, I have noticed that some people involved in animal welfare don't like off-leash parks. Well, the rescue already knows we go to Jack Darling (I sent her our background in the body of the e-mail, before getting the application), and she said our home sounds amazing for Macey, so luckily they don't have an issue with it.

We do go to Marie Curtis on occasion - is that the one you're talking about? We like to walk the "discovery trail" or whatever it's called into Mississauga and then back. We don't bump into too many doggies there, but we don't normally go in the evenings. I like Colonel Samuel Smith park but there are a lot of people who let their dogs off-leash there and I don't like that (especially if I'm walking my leash-reactive Autumn).

Either way, I'll mention the local on-leash parks too :) Can't hurt, right?

aslan
June 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Nope the one i'm talking about you go straight down your street to the bottom and follow it to the right. It's not a huge park, it's right on the lake, has a swan/duck pond.

lia12
June 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I would go with my heart. AJ seems to be tugging at your heartstrings so maybe it's for a reason. That being said, pugs have many health issues that other dogs might not have depending on breed. Lots of pugs have skin issues because of the skin folds, heart issues, breathing issues, etc. Could add up to lots of vet bills in the long run, something to consider if money is an object.
But in the end, after considering all aspects of both dogs the final decision has to be yours.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Aslan, I am super confused. Does the park have a name? My street ends at Lakeshore, you can't take it south of Lakeshore. Is it more like a parkette? I would like to come and meet more doggies and their parents in the area.

aslan
June 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
lol, i thought 29th was on the south side of lakeshore. OK cross lakeshore and take one of the streets south, yeah it's more of a parkette. Bunch of people, lake, pond.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Bleh, I can't think of any green space south of Lakeshore with a pond, and I've lived here since I was 2 years old! I will go exploring today, and will let you know tonight if I find it! ;)

TeriM
June 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
OK, another vote for AJ but I am also partial to black dogs :D and small dogs are easily adopted.

Actually I agree with the others that you need to let the dogs meet and then make your decision.

Or maybe just take both :rolleyes: :D.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
OK, another vote for AJ but I am also partial to black dogs :D and small dogs are easily adopted.

Actually I agree with the others that you need to let the dogs meet and then make your decision.

Or maybe just take both :rolleyes: :D.

OMG Teri, I wish I could! I just know that when we have our own place, we'll end up with 3. :D I've already told my BF that.

OK, I'm going to get Milo to meet both and hope he helps me make a decision. I feel like my heart is telling me AJ, and my head is telling me Macey. I'm just hoping that we get a chance to meet them both - although of course if one is adopted before we get to it, that would make my life easier and I would be nothing but happy for the lucky dog. :)

aslan
June 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Bleh, I can't think of any green space south of Lakeshore with a pond, and I've lived here since I was 2 years old! I will go exploring today, and will let you know tonight if I find it! ;)

LOL, really it's there, i don't drink or nothin. I have pics of our Qman in the pond being told off by the swans. I'm pretty sure if you go down the street where Kapaty or whatever that grocery stores name is, you'll find it. We usually go down 27th and walk along the road until we hit it, so never really looked at the name of the streets down there.

lUvMyLaB<3
June 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
*awe* I TOTALLY get you situation.. When I was wanting to get another dog, it was because I wanted one that was small enough for my kids to control ( not like my lab) but sturday enough that my son wont break it, and could still keep up with it, it was to get a dog that they could have more of a part in.

When i went and started looking at dogs I was SooOO in love with a shepard mix girl, he was bad mannered and a ball of love and fun, I wanted her SOoOO Bad! But there is NO WAY that would have worked, and was not my intention of getting a dog, although when I met her I did not care about intentions... lol.. then they got 2 of these little shih tzu lhasa pups, they had an awesome owner, he was old and he had become very ill and taken away, but the pups were raised well, so had no issues, and that is what was prefect for us. I found a family myslef, that lives on a farm to take my shepard girl, that made me feel better, I go an visit, she is my adopted child.

Although, your situation is very different, kids make all the difference, that shepard would not have been a good idea for small kids, I understand. I too think A.j. sounds like the right one, he is waiting for a home and is probably thinking about you the way you are thinking about him. Let fate guide you, if something with A.j. doesn't work out then you know what is meant to be, but I think there already was a reason you met him with 24 minutes to spare! :)

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
LOL, really it's there, i don't drink or nothin. I have pics of our Qman in the pond being told off by the swans. I'm pretty sure if you go down the street where Kapaty or whatever that grocery stores name is, you'll find it. We usually go down 27th and walk along the road until we hit it, so never really looked at the name of the streets down there.

Ahaha, I believe you! I'm just embarrassed that I can't think of where this is. I know Karpaty, I went to the school on that street. If you keep walking, I know there's a park there with an indoor ice rink. Is that the one? (But I don't remember any pond! Am I crazy?)

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Luvmylab, do you really think AJ remembers me? It makes me so sad to think he might be sitting there waiting for me to come back...

As for fate...I thought everything that happened that day was telling me that it wasn't meant to be! In fact, I kept saying that the whole day. My BF and I fought that morning. The fight made me really upset, and was one of the reasons we left late. We had to go get gas, and my BF insisted on grabbing something to eat from the gas station store (all he could find was beef jerky). I should mention that part of the reason we weren't rushing was because I swore the website said they were open until 5:30 (they actually close at 5). We hit major major traffic, because of construction and an accident. What should have been a 55 min drive became a 1 hr 35 min drive. I also took the wrong exit in spite of having a GPS. Speaking of my GPS - it showed that the house numbers on that street only went up to 199 (the address was 245!). And the whole time I was saying "this isn't meant to be"!

I'm hoping the SPCA gets back to me today...

lUvMyLaB<3
June 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Well see, then you only know! you will find out, something will happen that will tell you who is right for you, be guided by that, not the picture you have of your ideal dog, sometimes that leads us into trouble. To me it seems you said that A.J's personality and temperment was right for you, and you like the other pug because of what she is and the picture you have.. and the right choice is the person inside not the package it is wrapped in, that is what gave me the opinion.. It is a big decision and you have to do what is right for you.

I know when I met all my dogs, and I have had many rescues I knew when I looked in their eyes, that they were for me!

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Luvmylab, actually the Pug mix sounds perfect too! :sad: I would definitely not be agonizing over this decision if she was just cute but not suitable for us. She gets along with other dogs and cats, she's young and playful (ideal for Milo), and apparently she's a real sweetheart - plus she's housebroken (bonus!). That's what is making this so tough. Trust me, I would never pick a dog based solely on a photo...my boyfriend, on the other hand, is leaning towards Macey because she's cute (he also claims he thinks she would be a better companion for Milo).

lUvMyLaB<3
June 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
well, you wont know that until they meet, that is what you will need to know, what Milo thinks. Is Milo the husky you have a pic of?

Luckily for me the rescue I deal with only has foster homes, no actual 'location'.. all animals are in foster homes.. I see the trouble I could never leave someone behind in a kennel after he looked at me that way, I would be pulling them out of there like ticks of a dog!

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Nope, Milo is our little Pug boy. I'll have to post some photos in the Pet Photography section soon! Milo is young, only a year, and he's super energetic and playful, so we need a dog that can keep up with him and that wants to play or has a LOT of patience for puppy antics (which is why we're sticking to dogs under 6 years). But you're exactly right, we won't know until he meets them both! I'm working on that. I didn't hear back from the SPCA, but we'll be going up on Sunday regardless of whether or not I hear back. And I'm ready to send the application in for Macey (so we can arrange a meet and greet if we pass the phone interview), but I need the rescue to answer a question first! Ah I've been on the computer checking my e-mail obsessively today...least productive day everrr...

Ah yes, you and I are cut from the same cloth. Being in a shelter environment and seeing the dogs like that, well...how can ANYONE not be upset?

lUvMyLaB<3
June 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
ohh I c why the little girl is calling you, maybe she is meant to be, I can tell you are really occupied with it!! you will know, something will happen and let you know who is right for you, it will all work out!

luckypenny
June 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I hope this makes some sense :o...rather than asking yourselves which dog, whether it be either one of these two or others, would best suit your home, how about asking which dog would you be best for.

I have a clear picture of the type of dog(s) I would have loved to have had. We now have three that don't match what I had in mind at all, lol. But I know that we're the type of family that best suits them. They've turned our home and our hearts upside down and inside out, changed our lives in ways we never would have imagined, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Once you, your bf, and Milo get the chance to spend time with another dog, you'll know which one your family will best be suited for. Good luck :fingerscr.

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
I didn't read what the others have to say so this is MY opinion.

Of course , I think dog in shelters are more .... in need of getting adopted than the ones in rescues. The ones in rescues also need to be saved but , they are in a foster homes and are being well taken care of.

BUT , that being said , you have to choose the one that will be most suited for YOUR family.

I would call the spca and rescue and speak to them both , for both dogs , and see.

Or ... adopt both of them !!!! :lightbulb:

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
luvmylab, thanks for the support! :grouphug:

luckypenny - you hit the nail on the head. I have no doubt we could give Macey a great home, and it's encouraging to hear such a positive reaction from the rescue as well. I'm less convinced that AJ would be happy in our apartment. But that's because I have no experience/knowledge of hounds - I just don't know what his needs would be! That's why I called the SPCA, I want to know whether they think he would be happy in an apartment. I didn't hear back from them today, but hopefully they'll call tomorrow...

Frenchy, I hear ya. I feel the same way about AJ being cooped up in a cage in a crowded shelter, vs Macey living it up in a cushy foster home. I believe I would be happy with either one, but I would feel a lot worse about leaving AJ behind than I would about leaving Macey behind - as terrible as that sounds. Hopefully everything will work out when we meet them both. And YES I would LOVE to adopt them both! What a happy household we would be! (Ran the idea by my bf...not such an encouraging response). I think we have the room, and we definitely have the love to spare...would anyone care to sponsor? :laughing:

babymomma
June 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hey, crazy idea..Um, Adopt macey, anddddd......................... Foster AJ? !

Thats what i would do.. but our spca doesnt do the foster care thing unless theres a preggo female..

Love4himies
June 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Or ... adopt both of them !!!! :lightbulb:

snicker, snicker.:D

EndOfFashion
June 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hey, crazy idea..Um, Adopt macey, anddddd......................... Foster AJ? !

Thats what i would do.. but our spca doesnt do the foster care thing unless theres a preggo female..

That's actually not a terrible idea, Babymomma :) I don't know if my BF could handle it, but it's worth a shot to ask! :D

As it stands now, the SPCA hasn't called me back yet, and the rescue hasn't e-mailed me back yet :frustrated: well, we'll see what happens. I'll keep waiting for the rescue to get back to me, and I'll go up and see AJ again (properly) on Saturday (now I'm working Sunday! ugh)

happycats
June 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I think because of everything that happened, to almost stop you from getting to the SPCA that day,and you made it there anyway and found AJ, makes me believe it was meant to be :) (after all the obsticles fate brought you and AJ together that day)

My vote is for AJ, besides you can change his name to match Milo's

Malcolm and Milo sounds good ;)

Seriously though, let Milo decide, whoever he gets along with best would be your best option. IMO.

EndOfFashion
June 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
OY VEY. Or should I say, OY GEVOLTE. Okay, I'm not Jewish so I have no idea what that means, but based on the reactions of a Jewish director I used to work with, I think "Gevolte" is worse than "vey"...

So this has just gotten much more complicated :yell: Did you think that was possible??

I got an e-mail back from a rescue we applied to quite a while ago, for a Pug/Chihuahua mix. We never heard back from them, not even to say that they got our application, so I figured it wasn't happening. Now, they want to set up a phone interview tonight! ARG :yell: The worst thing is that, out of the three, this one SOUNDS like she would be the best match for Milo. Apparently she is SO playful, they made it a requirement for the adoptive family to have another super playful dog in the home. Which is Milo, basically. I absolutely loved her when I first saw her and read her description (they all sound like great dogs, I promise I'm not doing this on appearance. I wouldn't be applying for them unless the description sounded awesome!). But of course, now there's AJ and Macey.

Happycats, you say that because of everything that happened, it seems like AJ was meant to be ours. I guess you can look at it either way, huh? How does this latest development figure into it all? LOL it would be funny if it wasn't so stressful...I'm so confused! And I absolutely hate feeling this way because the worst thing is that there's a chance we may not qualify for any of them, or only one of them - and I could be stressing over nothing.

Ok, so I'm sticking with the original plan (should I?). We're going to meet AJ on Saturday regardless of what happens with the other two. And we'll go through with the phone interview tonight and see if we qualify for a meet and greet for the Pug/Chi. I haven't heard back from Macey's rescue yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Wish me luck everyone, I know the perfect one is out there...

P.S. Happycats, LOVE the name Malcolm for AJ! I think it would really suit him :thumbs up

happycats
June 4th, 2009, 10:34 AM
OY VEY. Or should I say, OY GEVOLTE. Okay, I'm not Jewish so I have no idea what that means, but based on the reactions of a Jewish director I used to work with, I think "Gevolte" is worse than "vey"...

So this has just gotten much more complicated :yell: Did you think that was possible??

I got an e-mail back from a rescue we applied to quite a while ago, for a Pug/Chihuahua mix. We never heard back from them, not even to say that they got our application, so I figured it wasn't happening. Now, they want to set up a phone interview tonight! ARG :yell: The worst thing is that, out of the three, this one SOUNDS like she would be the best match for Milo. Apparently she is SO playful, they made it a requirement for the adoptive family to have another super playful dog in the home. Which is Milo, basically. I absolutely loved her when I first saw her and read her description (they all sound like great dogs, I promise I'm not doing this on appearance. I wouldn't be applying for them unless the description sounded awesome!). But of course, now there's AJ and Macey.

Happycats, you say that because of everything that happened, it seems like AJ was meant to be ours. I guess you can look at it either way, huh? How does this latest development figure into it all? LOL it would be funny if it wasn't so stressful...I'm so confused! And I absolutely hate feeling this way because the worst thing is that there's a chance we may not qualify for any of them, or only one of them - and I could be stressing over nothing.

Ok, so I'm sticking with the original plan (should I?). We're going to meet AJ on Saturday regardless of what happens with the other two. And we'll go through with the phone interview tonight and see if we qualify for a meet and greet for the Pug/Chi. I haven't heard back from Macey's rescue yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Wish me luck everyone, I know the perfect one is out there...

P.S. Happycats, LOVE the name Malcolm for AJ! I think it would really suit him :thumbs up

All I can say is.....I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now :D
Very very difficult decision, and a life long (pets life) commitment.

I believe things will fall into place for you, and you will make the right decision........a little :pray: can't hurt:).

Re; the name Malcolm...a co-worker has 3 cats named Malcolm, Maggie and Macey !! (and your new prospect is Macey) funny

EndOfFashion
June 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks, Happycats. The support is VERY much appreciated, more than you probably know! I'm hoping you're right and everything just "falls into place"...things will come to light soon, I think :fingerscr

The only thing I feel really terrible about is that I feel like I'm leading the rescues on...as I'm going through with the process without knowing whether I'm going to adopt the dog. Is it really horrible to pull out at the meet and greet point? I don't want to upset anybody...

BenMax
June 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Happycats. The support is VERY much appreciated, more than you probably know! I'm hoping you're right and everything just "falls into place"...things will come to light soon, I think :fingerscr

The only thing I feel really terrible about is that I feel like I'm leading the rescues on...as I'm going through with the process without knowing whether I'm going to adopt the dog. Is it really horrible to pull out at the meet and greet point? I don't want to upset anybody...

Take it from someone in rescue - don't feel bad about it at all. Rescues want you to be at peace with your decision - whether it be the rescue dog, a dog from a pound or shelter,given to you...just NOT a purchased dog from a petstore (that would piss them off) If they don't understand that - then poohy on them.

Worry about you, never mind everyone else. That's my :2cents: X 1000.:thumbs up

EndOfFashion
June 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
BenMax, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! :thankyou: I said to my boyfriend "We have to worry about what will make us happy and what will make Milo and the new dog happy, not about upsetting the rescue". But as I said it out loud it felt SO wrong. You have made me feel so much better, I'm at peace with my decision to go through with things as I described. It's the best way I can think of to allow Milo to decide who he gets along best with - though to be perfectly honest, I don't think he'll be much help since he LOVES everyone! What will be more telling is how the other dogs take to Milo...he really can be annoying :laughing:

EndOfFashion
June 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
K guys, I have an update!

We had our phone interview tonight with the rescue for the Pug/Chi mix. I think it went pretty well, and she said she is trying to get through the rest of them by tomorrow night, so we might know something soon-ish. Apparently there weren't too many applications for this girl, as she was pregnant when she came into rescue and of course she was overlooked by adopters who wanted the puppies.

After not hearing from the rescue with Macey for 2 nights, I decided to go ahead and send in the application. They got back to me pretty quickly after that, of course :frustrated: Oh well, they said they would look it over but that someone is coming to see Macey (the way it was worded, it sounded like there's a meet and greet tonight). They're supposed to let me know how it goes.

So, Saturday we're going back to see A.J. We're actually bringing along a friend who is thinking about getting a dog. He had gone to a pet store but I got my BF to intervene VERY quickly. He had no idea pet stores were "bad". Wow, I'm always surprised when I find people like this. I've met a few in the last little while who didn't know where pet store puppies came from! Anyway, we've convinced him to come see what a shelter can offer. So that's always good :thumbs up

Well, I'll post here tomorrow if I hear anything back from either the Macey people or the Pug/Chi people!

EndOfFashion
June 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention (!!) that when the interviewer told me that there weren't many applications for the Pug/Chi, she said "Maybe it's meant to be". How weird is that?! After all this talk of whether or not A.J. was meant to be...

diandpat
June 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Any news? What happened on the weekend? Did your friend find a dog too?

EndOfFashion
June 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hey! Sorry I haven't updated because I didn't think anyone was still reading this thread. :) Unfortunately I have no good news.

It goes like this: And then there were none...

After the phone interview with the rescue for the Pug/Chi mix, the adoption screener tried to contact our landlord. Well, wasn't the end result thoroughly surprising. For some reason, he LIED to her and told her we lived in a no-pets apartment. :mad::yell: It clearly states on the rental agreement that pets are allowed, he knows we already have Milo and Charlie, and we spoke to him about it. The other tenant even had a dog for a while (don't get me started on that one...). I have NO idea why he did that. He played dumb when we asked him about it...but the damage is done. I suspect he doesn't want pets even though he allows them, and he didn't think the screener would tell us what he said. Well, it makes us look like we're irresponsible or lying, and even after talking to him I have no idea what he would tell the screener if she called back. So...that's the end of that. :sad:

Nobody got back to me about Macey, not that it matters because I think the situation would have played out the same way with our landlord. I just CAN'T get my head around why he would do that. I'm so upset, and MORTIFIED. It made us look so very bad.

To make things worse, I decided we would go back and see A.J. anyway...because you never know. Of course we were running a little late because of my BF's idiot friend, and I just had this feeling - so I checked the website before we left. Don't you know, A.J. was adopted! I checked on him all week long, so I believe he was adopted Saturday morning. What are the odds?!

Basically, after all this, plus a conversation with my boss about it all...it just seems like it isn't meant to be right now. I mean, we can't get past our landlord anyway. We wouldn't technically be doing anything wrong - if pets were such a HUGE issue, don't you think the landlord would have called us after speaking with the screener, and demanded an explanation? Well, we didn't hear from him until we called him. But no reputable rescue would adopt to us after what transpired with him - and like I said, I can't guarantee he wouldn't do it again. I just don't understand it. :confused:

To make a long story short...we've decided to wait until we buy our own place. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess. :sad: Can't tell you how disappointed I am...

BenMax
June 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hey! Sorry I haven't updated because I didn't think anyone was still reading this thread. :) Unfortunately I have no good news.

It goes like this: And then there were none...

After the phone interview with the rescue for the Pug/Chi mix, the adoption screener tried to contact our landlord. Well, wasn't the end result thoroughly surprising. For some reason, he LIED to her and told her we lived in a no-pets apartment. :mad::yell: It clearly states on the rental agreement that pets are allowed, he knows we already have Milo and Charlie, and we spoke to him about it. The other tenant even had a dog for a while (don't get me started on that one...). I have NO idea why he did that. He played dumb when we asked him about it...but the damage is done. I suspect he doesn't want pets even though he allows them, and he didn't think the screener would tell us what he said. Well, it makes us look like we're irresponsible or lying, and even after talking to him I have no idea what he would tell the screener if she called back. So...that's the end of that. :sad:

Nobody got back to me about Macey, not that it matters because I think the situation would have played out the same way with our landlord. I just CAN'T get my head around why he would do that. I'm so upset, and MORTIFIED. It made us look so very bad.

To make things worse, I decided we would go back and see A.J. anyway...because you never know. Of course we were running a little late because of my BF's idiot friend, and I just had this feeling - so I checked the website before we left. Don't you know, A.J. was adopted! I checked on him all week long, so I believe he was adopted Saturday morning. What are the odds?!

Basically, after all this, plus a conversation with my boss about it all...it just seems like it isn't meant to be right now. I mean, we can't get past our landlord anyway. We wouldn't technically be doing anything wrong - if pets were such a HUGE issue, don't you think the landlord would have called us after speaking with the screener, and demanded an explanation? Well, we didn't hear from him until we called him. But no reputable rescue would adopt to us after what transpired with him - and like I said, I can't guarantee he wouldn't do it again. I just don't understand it. :confused:

To make a long story short...we've decided to wait until we buy our own place. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess. :sad: Can't tell you how disappointed I am...

Don't be disappointed. Everything happens for a reason. The timing is off and you will get your chance once you get a new home.

Be happy for AJ! He has a home now. The ones in rescue - absolutely do not worry - they are safe.

Re-joice - don't feel blue.

Frenchy
June 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
:sad: I'm sorry things didn't work out ....

but yipeee for AJ ! :thumbs up

so .... want me to look on MLS for houses for sell your area ? :p

EndOfFashion
June 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
BenMax and Frenchy, thanks for the support! I don't feel bad about A.J.; I was certain he would be sitting in that tiny crate forever, and I am overjoyed that he has found a home in spite of being black, medium-sized and kind of plain-looking (oh man as I write that I realize that I still miss him, though). It's so weird, I thought I would NEVER own a hound, and after meeting A.J. I am growing more and more fond of hound-type dogs.

I feel that the culmination of everything that's happened is making it clear that this just isn't the right time. I will have to be okay with that (although I am SO not okay with the way our landlord handled this...I just don't get it). I feel bad when I see Milo trying to get Charlie to play with him. I really feel he would looove to have a 4-legged buddy around - and Charlie might appreciate not being "tormented", although lately he's been engaging half-assedly in play!!.

Frenchy, if you see anything, let me know!!! I actually found the CUTEST house in the Royal York/Queensway area - 2 bedrooms and a yard for only $239,000! We're almost there, I'm thinking we could be ready for a home by the end of the year...and then, I will waste no time in finding our new family member. And we'll be able to get a larger dog, like I've been wanting :) Oh and I've been dying to foster for a cat rescue too...but we'll take it one step at a time :D

mollywog
June 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I missed the end result of this thread after following it for a while! :sad:
EofF- sorry that you didn't get either pup. What an a$$ of a landlord for saying that! We are SO happy to not have to deal with landlords anymore. And by the sounds of it, you won't have to put up with them for much longer either.
I went through a similar situation this winter, was really gung-ho about getting a 2nd dog, and after a series of events (finding a great rescue dog that was 20 hrs away, being THIS close to adoption, then he got adopted out... and then finding a cute pup at the shelter here who did NOT get along with Molly).... I too have decided that the timing is off. The other day, DH actually suggested getting a cat!! Which isn't really a bad idea! :shrug:
Best of luck to you in the future, and enjoy every moment with Milo! The right one will come along eventually!

EndOfFashion
June 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hey mollywog - thanks for following. It feels so great to get support from other like-minded people - some of my friends just do not get me!

Too bad you went through a similar experience. It's not fun to feel SO ready, and then have every sign show you it's not the right time. It feels like you have to fight fate - and fate always wins, doesn't it? ;) I did see that you got a new house, with a huuuge yard! So you might have reached the right time for a 2nd dog! Good luck :fingerscr

As for me, I will doggedly save every penny and hopefully be ready to buy a home soon-ish. It's kind of a blessing - I won't have to worry about the size of the dog, whether it's a barker...having that freedom will actually open up some possibilities for dogs I could not have considered having in our apartment. Maybe I'll try for another large, black dog (for you, A.J.)!

Frenchy
June 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Frenchy, if you see anything, let me know!!! I actually found the CUTEST house in the Royal York/Queensway area - 2 bedrooms and a yard for only $239,000!

Only $239 000 ? :eek: holy macaroni .... this must be a very expensive area to live in I'm guessing ?

I bought my house alone so I had to move further from the city to afford one ...I'm right smack in the boonies where we get no services , no stores ... it suits me because I have a big backyard and neighbors are far , and I can have as many fuzzbutts as I want :D and walk around the house naked :laughing:

it's a good time to buy right now , as the interest rates are a bit lower , I don't know how long will this last though. :fingerscr

EndOfFashion
June 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
LOL Frenchy...yeah I guess it is a somewhat expensive area. Small brick bungalows, with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, can go for about $300,000. :eek: I think the asking for this house was so much less because it did not have a basement - unfortunately it's been purchased! :cry:

I could not live in the boons! :laughing: I love to shop, go to lounges, movies, etc. And unfortunately the TV/film industry is in Toronto, and I do NOT want to have to commute! Though I must admit, spending life naked and surrounded by critters sounds tempting! :laughing:

The low interest rates are what kicked my butt into gear. I was planning to wait another year or so, but the time is now for first-time home buyers!

bluestar
June 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM
$239,000 on Royal York and Queensway is pretty good. Go another block further on Royal York and Bloor and your looking in the $700,000 to $900,000 range. My fiance had a steal of a rental basement there for $750/month all inclusive for a huge 2 bedroom basement until it got sold.

Boonies living is not that bad, although we are not that far out. We are at the Clarkson GO which is a 20 minute trip to Union. We've even given up on driving downtown most of the time after the headaches of trying to get out of FC and Raptor games. Everything we could want is within our area, and we have a nice quiet little area that is tucked away off Lakeshore that doesn't even feel like you are in the GTA, with an extremely high population of dog owners. But we do condo life, which is all we can afford in the area at $210,000-$250,000. Townhouses go for around $320,000 and a bungalow would be anywhere from $450,000 to $600,000 the closer you get to Oakville. But just a five minute walk on the other side of the GO the townhouses can get more affordable to the $175,000-$250,000 range, but it's a less desirable area, although the walking trails are nice.

Melinda
June 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Lord I could never survive at those prices, we live on the outskirts of cornwall, 5 minutes to the city, a four bedroom, full basement , 1 1/2 story home with a 199X79 foot yard and believe me....its only now worth 149,000 *L* went up over a 100 grand in the 25 yrs we've lived here

EndOfFashion
July 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
$239,000 on Royal York and Queensway is pretty good. Go another block further on Royal York and Bloor and your looking in the $700,000 to $900,000 range. My fiance had a steal of a rental basement there for $750/month all inclusive for a huge 2 bedroom basement until it got sold.

Boonies living is not that bad, although we are not that far out. We are at the Clarkson GO which is a 20 minute trip to Union. We've even given up on driving downtown most of the time after the headaches of trying to get out of FC and Raptor games. Everything we could want is within our area, and we have a nice quiet little area that is tucked away off Lakeshore that doesn't even feel like you are in the GTA, with an extremely high population of dog owners. But we do condo life, which is all we can afford in the area at $210,000-$250,000. Townhouses go for around $320,000 and a bungalow would be anywhere from $450,000 to $600,000 the closer you get to Oakville. But just a five minute walk on the other side of the GO the townhouses can get more affordable to the $175,000-$250,000 range, but it's a less desirable area, although the walking trails are nice.

I know that area, it's quite nice. I often go to the Sheridan Nurseries which are not far from the GO station. I also like Port Credit, but I hear it's expensive. To be honest, those prices sound the same as living in Etobicoke where I am, which is surprising - I would have thought Clarkson would be far less expensive!

Unfortunately I will HAVE to drive to the downtown core. Doing wardrobe for films can mean transporting a LOT of clothes, rolling racks, steamers, etc. My current job doesn't entail any of that, luckily (talent has a sponsored wardrobe and we get her ready at her condo before going on set), but most productions will. :yuck: And trust me, I HATE downtown driving!! And leaving after a game/concert at the ACC is just a nightmare, lol. I take subway or GO from the ACC, usually.