Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ok help with flowers.

Magicwildwolf69
June 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
hehe i'm just going to keep asking for everyone's opinions till the week is over i swear.

i was thinking of real flowers and then i bought a fake arrangement and now i'm back to wanting real. the fake wasn't really expensive lol only five bucks on clearence. and i'm thinking of doing roses myself and just bunching them together and tying some ribbon around them. it would be cheaper then having someone professional do them.

not sure what do you guys think?

rainbow
June 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Are you good at flower arranging? If so, then I say go for it. :thumbs up

I'm am not very artistic at all :o but I think I would take the fake arrangement to a florist and ask if they would add some roses to it. :D

Melinda
June 2nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
use ribbon that matches the dresses, a bit of babies breath behind the roses and put some ivy trailing from it, that way you can root the ivy afterwards and you'll always have a lasting memento, 30 yrs after my wedding and I still have my ivy plant.

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Magicwildwolf, are you using real or fake for everything else (bridesmaids bouquets, boutonnieres, decor, centerpieces, etc)?

I tend to prefer real for bouquets and boutonnieres, and fake for anything decor-related (if real is not in the budget) - simply for the reason that the bouquets/boutonnieres will be seen in the wedding photos. We recently did a wedding which followed this kind of set-up, and they "raffled" off the centerpieces during the reception.

I think that a small hand-tied bouquet of only one type of flower (esp. all in one colour or monochromatic colours) is very chic, and it should be pretty inexpensive. All you really need is some greenery around the roses, and you could even do without that. I found a good tutorial here:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/17004_hand-tied-bouquet-two.htm

You can always use a pretty pin to secure the ribbon and make it that much more special!

Jim Hall
June 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
oh geezee wediings cant let maria in here for a while now '

mollywog
June 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
When is your wedding? We had a fall wedding and asked the florist for the best flowers that were in season at that time. That way, there was no special ordering involved (therefore cheaper!)
The bridesmaids bouquets were a smaller version of mine (see below) and the guys all had a small bouteneir (sp) with a couple similar flowers/ accents in it. I was really happy with how it all turned out!
If you want to go with roses, however, you might want to go for fake.. they can get really expensive! Or why not splurge on your bouquet, and have fakies for the bridesmaids?! If you wrap them in the same ribbon, people won't notice the difference.
Have you thought about a non-floral centrepiece? We made tealight holders out of birch logs then tied them together with raffia. At the end of the night, we told people that whoever's birthday was coming up next at each table, could take the centrepiece home. Easy cleanup and a lasting memento!
Best of luck!

joeysmama
June 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
I love your idea !! Simple, classic, perfect. I've seen this done on a few wedding shows and on Martha Stweart too I think. They just wrapped a small bouquet of roses very tightly with florist tape and then wrapped a coordinating ribbon in the wedding colors over the tape and held it with straight pins. Very pretty!!

Dee-O-Gee
June 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
What's really nice for real flowers for a summer wedding is a bunch of Hydrangeas cause they're so big and fluffy.

My sister-in-law just cut a bunch of white ones from her bush and tied a silk dangly ribbon around the stock and I thought she bought them from a florist. :loser::headslap:

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
What's really nice for real flowers for a summer wedding is a bunch of Hydrangeas cause they're so big and fluffy.

My sister-in-law just cut a bunch of white ones from her bush and tied a silk dangly ribbon around the stock and I thought she bought them from a florist. :loser::headslap:

I LOVE hydrangeas! They're so full, you don't need as many. Peonies are another great alternative to roses. What colour are you thinking, MWW?

Magicwildwolf69
June 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
well my dress is red and white so i was going with red roses and maybe white ones. i can actually get roses from my job really cheap thats why i was thinking of going with them. my maid of honor is using real flowers too. she didn't like the idea of doing fake ones. plus i am putting real flowers in the vases on the table so why didn't i think i deserved real ones for my pictures. :loser::headslap:

i wanted to mix some baby breaths in there too wasn't sure. i've been leaning more toward real for a few days now.

oh and to answer the question the wedding is in a week and half. i gave myself three weeks to plan it. yea i'm :crazy: i know :laughing:

EndOfFashion
June 2nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
I figured red roses, too :) Sounds gorgeous. If you can get them cheap, why not? What are the flowers in the vases going to be like? Sorry, it sounds like I'm obsessed but weddings are basically my life! I'm an assistant wardrobe stylist on a TV show ALL ABOUT WEDDINGS, lol. I was never that into weddings 'til I started on the show last year...

mollywog
June 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
EOF- I gotta know- what show is it!??!?! :confused:

EndOfFashion
June 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Mollywog, it's a show called Wedding SOS. It airs on the Slice Network (formerly Life). We're shooting our 5th season right now!

Dee-O-Gee
June 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Mollywog, it's a show called Wedding SOS. It airs on the Slice Network (formerly Life). We're shooting our 5th season right now!

That's pretty kewl EOF

well my dress is red and white so i was going with red roses and maybe white ones. i can actually get roses from my job really cheap thats why i was thinking of going with them. my maid of honor is using real flowers too. she didn't like the idea of doing fake ones. plus i am putting real flowers in the vases on the table so why didn't i think i deserved real ones for my pictures. :loser::headslap:

i wanted to mix some baby breaths in there too wasn't sure. i've been leaning more toward real for a few days now.

oh and to answer the question the wedding is in a week and half. i gave myself three weeks to plan it. yea i'm :crazy: i know :laughing:

No better time then the present MWW. :thumbs up Now is your dress more red then white? For sure go with real flowers--there's so many to choose from at this time.

CearaQC
June 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
If you want a bit more stability in fresh flowers, use the florist wire and punch through the base of the flower and have extra wire hanging out the other side, then bend down and twist towards the other wire along the stem.

Start with your nicest looking flower in the center and then add more around it, forming the bunch. If you want sprays like "baby's breath" add them around as you go. Don't overdo the sprays though, sometimes they can kill the appearance of the overall bouquet.

Finish it off with some good sized Hosta leaves if you can find any. The variegated leaves would be gorgeous and help "pop" the color of the roses out.

Make the bouquet a day in advance so you're not rushed and pop it in a cool place to help keep fresh.

Magicwildwolf69
June 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM
thanks everyone! not sure about the flower in the vases. working on that with my mom lol. my dress has more white then red thats why i was thinking the red roses would stand out against the white.

thanks for the ideas ceara i did plan on making it one day in advance. and defently keeping it somewhere cool where the kitties can't get to it either. my little one loves to chew on flowers :frustrated:

9 more days left!!! ugh!!!