Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

itchy Shih Poo

MaryC
August 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM
She's had her Sentinel, then an over-the-counter flea serum. She's scratching like crazy and I feel sorry for her. I can not see any fleas, even with a magnifying glass. Any ideas for this recent dog lover. :(

Goldenmom
August 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Probably isn't fleas? Check where she is itching and see if you can see anything. If not, I suspect she has an allergy to food, or even the flea stuff.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Iggette
August 11th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Dry skin? shampoo reaction? Has she been swimming somewhere strange? Is there any redness ? Hotspot perhaps? Has the vet seen her?
Just a few thoughts :confused:

Luba
August 11th, 2004, 09:56 PM
food allergy?

moontamara
August 12th, 2004, 03:55 AM
scabies are invisible....but the vet should have caught that. the vet didn't mention the possibility of a food allergy?

moontamara
August 12th, 2004, 03:56 AM
oops, you didn't go to the vet yet... if it seems rather extreme, you probably should, in case it is scabies, as that won't go away until it's treated AND it's contagious for humans too.

GunnerX
August 12th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Is she scratching the collar area? It could be the collar that's causing it. My shih tzu was doing the same with the first one we got. Bought a nicer one and no more scratching.

glasslass
August 12th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Does she wear a flea collar? Some dogs have reactions to those.

cnstars
August 17th, 2004, 10:07 PM
She may have severe dry skin similar to what humans get called eczema. But, the best advice is to get her to the vet and keep her nails short in the meantime.undefined

SSAC
August 18th, 2004, 01:05 PM
allergies....whether seasonal or food? Please see your vet as I am concerned that she had sentinal and a liquid flea medication aswell! What was the liquid, please don't say Hartz one spot or Zodiac, they're dangerous and complete crap!