Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog with Eczema

paula383
May 31st, 2009, 05:42 AM
hi any advise would be very welcome, a friend of mine has a small cross breed dog that suffers very badly with eczema, the vet has no idea why its got it and everything the vet has given him hasnt worked, the poor thing is scratching like mad and has sores, any tried and tested ideas please xxx

lia12
May 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Did you try giving your dog Benadryl for the itch? Corticosteroids could be tried short turn for now . Just don't let it get ouit of hand and make sure the dog is kept dry. They have antifungal shampoos that you can use every second day until the sores heal. I think it might be a good idea to have the vet take a skin scraping.

sugarcatmom
May 31st, 2009, 09:43 AM
What does the dog eat? Could be an allergy to an ingredient in his food (grains are a frequent culprit).

rainbow
May 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with sugarcatmom ....a grainfree kibble would be best or preferably raw as another option.

lUvMyLaB<3
May 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yes that is probably it! First thing to try is a better food, grain free, my dogs eat orijen, but there are others, and there are some people on here than know all about that. I would also think some suppliments would be a good idea to help the skin, like some oils.. Then if that didn't work I would look for other things. Does your friend bath the dog? Maybe it is being bathed too much and that tends to irritate the skin. Good luck, there should be some thing you can find to help, the poor dog shouldn't have to suffer with being so itchy. Has the vet given any meds? I would hope so, I know you can use benadryl, But I wouldn't do that long term. I hope they find somthing soon!

kiara
June 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Please research and find a veterinary dermatologist, as it is important to know the cause of the dog's itchiness. The vet should do an allergy test, the dog might not be allergic to food at all, but to the home environment. It will cost some money but it will relieve the dog's itching, which must be a torture. You will have peace of mind that you know what to avoid. Eczema and dermatitis is often related to stress. Good luck.

paula383
June 3rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
thanks everyone ill pass all the info to my friend. xxxx

Marty11
June 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Has the vet precribed an anitbiotic for skin infection? I think it's a result of allergies, however it could be food, seasonal, or contact. It will be a very long process....My dog is two, and we still don't know. There is a very expensive drug called Atopica. Made my dog sick, however there are sucess stories on it. Definately change food to high quality kibble, and try different protein sources. We feed our dog duck right now. Still scratches but not so severe. As far as dermatologist, very expensive. Was the dog checked for parasites??? Biopsy will tell.