Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Yappy boy

Smoocherific
May 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Well among other problems with getting Finny..(potty training being prevalent, but thats not too much of an issue I'm sure we'll get that down some day..lol)

We have a YAPPER..

I know his "breed" or whatever you would like to call him..in all his muttliness, has the yapper gene soldered right into them. Findley is generally good while inside the house, except of course when I put him in the x-pen (due to extreme mma wrestling in the house, and I'm a little paranoid about his tiny body being hurt in the midst of his sister's rambunctious Boston play style, which by the way is usually very good with him, but a girl can't always help herself you know and you have to let the inner goddess that is Boston out every once in awhile) and he has decided the time for play has yet to end..and a round of good 'ole bitey face through the cage should partake with his sister.

Outside...is a different story. As far as I know Finny never went outside. He spent his life in an apartment, in a crate. It took him awhile to take even a step away from my foot (yes I can't say my leg because he doesn't even reach midway to my calf). Well he has made himself at home now (YAY!!) and wow what a yappy little man he has become.

Laia only barks at other dogs walking by, other than that she is pretty mute. Finny, barks at EVERYTHING, I am not even certain he knows what he is barking at (infact if Laia is barking, Fin barks..even though he doesn't see what it is he is barking at..lol).

It is getting pretty embarrassing letting him outside. As far as I'm concerned my neighbour to the right has no chance at complaining to me, she's the one that brought him too me..lol. But its the rest of the neighbourhood I am a tad concerned about. So far I have gotten no complaints, I let him out but I swear if a leaf moved he's Mr. Yappy face. I ask him to stop and he looks right at me giving me his "What mommo? I did nuttin!" look. The MOMENT I turn my head..he starts again..

I am trying to teach him the speak command, in hopes that I can then teach him NO speak? But so far he doesn't seem as bright as his sissy was when being taught..lol. He barely sits when I ask him too...lol. I usually end up bringing him inside when he gets too mouthy with the invisible attackers.

Any other idea's on how to get the yappy mouth to shut it ..even a tiny bit?

Honestly..for myself..it goes in one ear and out the other, I mean I have 4 children here...noise is NOTHING to me. But my husband is getting a little worried about the neighbours and their comfort level.

SO I would LOVE some advise on how to correct this issue. I am a little wary of the spray bottle, as I don't want to "do" anything to him..if you know what I mean..I don't want any negative corrections with him at the moment. We are implementing NILF with both dogs, but thats simply behavior training and my making sure everyone knows where their place is in the pack so everyone can be comfortable. But that has nothing to do with flapping your lips off to the nargles at 6am.

MommaKat
May 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I don't really care for the spray bottle method either, in my opinion they don't really learn much from it other than to be afraid of being sprayed.

I have a shih tzu puppy that's an outside yapper and it drives me bonkers :frustrated::crazy: :laughing: . The only thing that I found to work is instead of trying to stop the barking I try to increase the period of time that she's quiet. So what I do is I go outside with her and she may start barking at a bumblebee/leaf/stick/other dog/whatever and I will distract her with a toy or playing with my other dog (Maggie :lovestruck: ) and she usually ( 9 times out of 10 really) will get so preoccupied she forgets all about barking, and then I usually reward her with treats and praise for being such a good girl.

I hear teaching "Speak" on command does work for the yappers. I think the idea is for them to "Speak" when you ask them and get rewarded rather than bark when they want to and get nothing.

Here are two great articles that might give you some ideas. I included the chew toy one for the Xpen barking situation. I did this for crate training sparkie and she really loves her crate. I think there is no reason why a dog should not love their designated space, it does take some work though.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/excessive-barking
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-chewtoy-training

Good luck :thumbs up

Smoocherific
May 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't really care for the spray bottle method either, in my opinion they don't really learn much from it other than to be afraid of being sprayed.

I have a shih tzu puppy that's an outside yapper and it drives me bonkers :frustrated::crazy: :laughing: . The only thing that I found to work is instead of trying to stop the barking I try to increase the period of time that she's quiet. So what I do is I go outside with her and she may start barking at a bumblebee/leaf/stick/other dog/whatever and I will distract her with a toy or playing with my other dog (Maggie :lovestruck: ) and she usually ( 9 times out of 10 really) will get so preoccupied she forgets all about barking, and then I usually reward her with treats and praise for being such a good girl.

I hear teaching "Speak" on command does work for the yappers. I think the idea is for them to "Speak" when you ask them and get rewarded rather than bark when they want to and get nothing.

Here are two great articles that might give you some ideas. I included the chew toy one for the Xpen barking situation. I did this for crate training sparkie and she really loves her crate. I think there is no reason why a dog should not love their designated space, it does take some work though.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/excessive-barking
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-chewtoy-training

Good luck :thumbs up

I easily taught my Boston Speak..with the intention of teaching her not too..lol. BUT..Boston's aren't really yappy to begin with (a plus on why I wanted one.lol) so that was a moot point and now is only a "trick" to amuse people..lol.

I as well put a chewy in the crate when its calm down time. I usually put him in in the middle of the afternoon for "nappy time"..i.e mommo needs a break or if we are feeding the kids..etc..etc Laia has a little issue with food aggression..dogs only..shown up a few times so right now we go between her being on lead when the dogs are eating so I can attempt to correct her and I can put all my attention to watching behavior, but when people are eating and I am busy I don't want her to be in the situation that she feels she needs to snap at Fin over something. So fin is crated, so Laia isn't the one punished/isn't associating us eating as a bad thing and since Fin doesn't know any different this situation works for both, I have also completely stopped treats all together (which is making training a little more difficult than it was with Laia) with both dogs for the time being, I am slowly going to be bringing them back, in a controlled environment, there is also no more eating any scraps from our plates..etc..etc we have had no incidents for two weeks now..so far so good but I feel I am doing more avoidance than actual behavioral correcting..it takes time..lol.

So no treats for training at this moment..

I also am outside with him most of the time..if not I am at the window with my laptop watching..I do attempt to distract him, but alas..I did say he wasn't as bright as Laia didn't I? He is in his own way..he doesn't distract as easily..LOL. Once he has found "something" imaginary or real to bark at it seems the only way I have found to stop him is too bring him inside (I guess thats distraction..LOL..complete removal..hehe)

I'm going to check out the links you gave me right away!

MommaKat
May 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Training does take time and patience that's for sure. Sounds like you have a tuffy of a yapper :laughing: Maybe more experienced yappy dog owners can comment :D .

Mslucious
June 1st, 2009, 07:24 PM
my puppy is only 2 months old and when i put him in the exercise pen he barks like there's no tomorrow. As days goes by his barks gets louder and louder and my mom works graveyard so its stressing her out. I would love to hear some answer from yappy dogs owner too :) Great post and I hope you can find a solution to it because i'm trying to right now