Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wont eat

Nagini
May 28th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Hi

My 7mo old female puppy wont eat raw food.
Well very little for sure...

We were on barf before, stopped, and started now again. First time was success, everything went down and chewed. Now when we show her, she sniffs and turns around. We give her food in the morning and in the evening. She will eat maybe 2 pieces of chicken thigh / pork thigh meat (~500-700g a day), but she doesnt look too happy diong it. As if she just "has" to do it. I dont think that 500-700g a day is enough for her, she ate that amount yesterday around 5pm, and now she didnt touch her food and just threw up a bit of liquid twice.

If I gave her mince, she would eat it all. Rice goes down aswell. If I chop the meat pieces smaller she might like it more. But why is she like this?

Oh and, she will not touch offal, she wont eat liver, stomach, no...

Please help, it does make me worry a little.

Edit. It feels like she is more happy on dry food, which i may switch to again if this doesnt work out. I thought this is what dogs want and need?

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM
This is somewhat OT so I apologize but I didn't think it was ok to give dogs pork?

MerlinsHope
May 28th, 2009, 06:50 AM
You know maybe try to give her a steak bone with a fair amount of meat along the bone. Start recreationally if you have to. You could also sprinkle freshly grated parmeasan cheese on meat to help make it more palatable, green tripe is wonderfully stinky and most dogs go ga-ga for it. Smear it on some meat.

Often, commercial kibble contains flavour enhancers like salts and sugars, so now when she smells raw meat, she has no stored reference and probably doesn't see some cuts or types as a food source.

If she's eating thighs and pork, then she's fine, she's just being picky and don't buy into it. If she turns her nose away she's perhaps just not hungry or being fussy. Don't cut it up, if you do, she'll never learn to pull and tear at it. If she turns her nose up, take the food away until she is hungry.

Every dog that comes here into rescue is offered raw meat for their next meal. There is nothing else. It's either the food presented to them in the bowl, or there is nothing. We've never had a dog yet, turn around and get sick or die on us because it wouldn't eat. Usually even the most stubborn one two days later, is up for some raw food.

PS - please don't feed raw food with rice. Raw food is meant to be processed in the gut in about 4-5 hours. 4-5 hours is not enough time for bacteria to incubate into unwanted situations like e-coli or salmonella.

Cooked human food often stays in the gut for 8 hours or more and if you combine this with raw hamburger you have all the makings of growing extensive bacteria in the gut, so please don't do this, and essentially rice has no play in a raw diet to begin with. The idea is to avoid carbohydrates at all costs since it's not a natural food for dogs to begin with.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3212220447_eefd8b2262.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/3213065618_c82be22c59.jpg?v=0

MerlinsHope
May 28th, 2009, 06:52 AM
This is somewhat OT so I apologize but I didn't think it was ok to give dogs pork?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feed pork to dogs.
It's quality meat.

Cheers
MM

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Gee, I had no idea. Thanks. I have always stayed away from it perhaps because years ago they would say don't eat a piece of pork if it's not well cooked but then I'm a bit old, lol.

Nagini
May 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Now I have two topics of the same subjects. I just didnt get enough help on the other topic. Anyway, thanks for your help Merlin. I just wanted to know if its normal for a dog to be picky like that. Because she does eat, but when she gets really hungry.

I left her food out for an hour while i was gone, came back, they are mysteriously gone.

But how can i get her eat offal? Normal meats she just eats like that, but she doesnt touch offal now :(

bendyfoot
May 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM
A tip for the offal: our Gracie won't touch ANYthing that's not frozen, but LOOOOOOOVES livercicles, and kidneycicles and heartcicles, etc etc.:laughing: We slice up thin strips of the offal, freeze them on cookie sheets, store the frozen peices in ziplocks. At dinner time they all get a few chunks of frozen organs, kinda like icecream dessert, yum!

MerlinsHope
May 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
. Because she does eat, but when she gets really hungry.

But how can i get her eat offal? Normal meats she just eats like that, but she doesnt touch offal now :(

Like mentioned, you could try to sprinkle some grated cheese on it, or mix it up with green tripe, or wait until she's really hungry then give her organs.

Cheers
MM

MerlinsHope
May 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Gee, I had no idea. Thanks. I have always stayed away from it perhaps because years ago they would say don't eat a piece of pork if it's not well cooked but then I'm a bit old, lol.

Well years ago it was a very valid point because essentially pigs were fed with garbage, so indeed they did pick up several types of parasites, many of them danagerous.

Nowadays, farmed pigs are regulated just like farmed cattle so they are not fed with garbage. The only time you'd probably have to worry about that is if you purchased pork from a private farmer who grew pigs on his own... then I would worry, but regular pork in the store no longer carries Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis/ trichiniasis, which by the way a dog can certainly get from wild game, so it's important to freeze wild game for two weeks.

Cheers
MM

Nagini
May 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Ive tried mixing about everything with offal, she wont really touch it, but she will lick all the goodies around it tho :D

I have to try freezing like snacks and then giving to her while they are frozen!

MerlinsHope
May 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Ive tried mixing about everything with offal, she wont really touch it, but she will lick all the goodies around it tho :D

I have to try freezing like snacks and then giving to her while they are frozen!

Again, a hungry dog won't starve itself.

Cheers
MM