Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A rainy day at Hazel Run

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Stand beneath the pine, eyes closed, listening...

Rain drips from the needles, splash, splat...the drops tickle their way down your cheeks, hang from your lashes...

The damp soaks through to your skin and works toward your bones...it is cold enough to make breath steam.

A soft breeze rustles through wet spring leaves, kissing even more drops off the pine needles.

Catbirds sing a duet from the front hydrangea.

And then...the pine begins to hum...

...louder...

...the sound fills your senses...

...you open your eyes...

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
...and find you are not alone...

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Cold and damp, they're desperate enough for calories to brave your presence.

It takes a lot of calories to keep them warm. They'd much prefer the sun.

Damp as you are, you're thinking you'd prefer the same thing...

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The earthworms, however, rather like the rainy weather...

...and Ms Macie, with her 'umbrella', is perfectly happy to watch them in their lazy undulation across the patio.

The rest of the Hazel Run Pack, however, is less than pleased.
"Let us in, please!!"

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The Pack can get very insistent...best you let them in, now. :D

The door opens and the aroma of wet dog fills the room.

The Sheriff is much happier now...

...as are Lady (in Waiting) Ridge...

...and the King.

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM
The Princess~Queen snorts the water off the tip of her nose and thanks you for getting her in out of that dreadful wetness.

Princess Lil Belle is much more comfy inside...

...as are Amazing Grace and Esquire Brier.

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM
But you can never please everyone...

"I'd much rather be out watching the worms," sighs Ms Macie.

:rolleyes:

luckypenny
May 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
What a wonderful treat for us Hazel! Gosh I love your stories :cloud9:.

I wonder where the hummingbirds would go if you didn't have up their feeders? And I bet you got extra smoochies from the dogs for letting them in out of the rain... I hope Macie had a chance to go back out again to visit with her worm :goodvibes:.

hazelrunpack
May 27th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I was just worrying about the hummers' future, too, LP--what would my lil darlin's do if we moved?!? :eek: hazel was gettin' really stressed out about it, so madame hazel had to change the subject. :crazy:

The dogs were too busy drying themselves off on the beds to have any time for Mom :rolleyes: I'm hopin' the bedding is dry by now or it's gonna be a damp night. :D

By the time Ms Macie made it back outside, her buddy was gone. :sad: She's gonna look for him again tomorrow. :dog:

luckypenny
May 28th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I wanted to mention that's a gorgeous feeder btw. Are all your feeders the bottle types? How many do you have for them? And do the Hummingbirds like any flowers nearby?

TeriM
May 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
OMG, what a wonderful story and pictures hazel :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9:.

Tell the Sheriff I especially like his rain-touselled (spell?) look ;).

finallyamommy
May 28th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Hi there Hazel

Great pic..... love to see your pictures and stories.....
I don't think I have ever seen a hummingbird before....... They look really KOOL!!!!!!!...

:thumbs up:ca:

breeze
May 28th, 2009, 07:34 AM
If I close my eyes and listen then how can I read your GREAT story, and see those beautiful hummingbirds, and see those crinkly fur ears?? :eek:

I'll close my eyes after, when I'm finished looking at all the great pictures :thumbs up

I hope Ms Macie finds her buddy the worm today :fingerscr:D

don't worry hazel the hummers will follow you where ever you go, they know a good thing when they taste it :thumbs up

krdahmer
May 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Holy hummingbirds!!! :eek: I've never seen so many! And I'm with ms macie... nothing wrong with a rainy day!

JennieV
May 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Beautiful story and pics, as usual, Hazel.

LOVE the hummingbirds and the hummingdogs too...:thumbs up

Mat&Murph
May 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
LOL poor Macie!!! Let her see her worm!!! :laughing: I love the pic of King.
As always great pics and great story

aslan
May 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM
AAAW Macie come to see me, we got mud and worms to keep you content for days and days...I love how you get the hummers wings in motion, that is just too cool.

14+kitties
May 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Wonderful story as usual hazel. I love all your feeders. It's marvelous watching those tiny wonders of nature flit around. :cloud9:
And wet dog - I can almost smell them. Oh wait. I do. Sammy is smelling a little damp here too.

hazelrunpack
May 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I heard a cerulean warbler this morning along the south fence. A messenger from my Dad, I think, who passed this morning.

Why is it sunny today? It should still be raining. :cry:

aslan
May 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Oh Hazel, I'm soooo sorry about your loss. Grace and i send our deepest sympathies..:2huggers:

:rip:HRM daddy

breeze
May 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
. A messenger from my Dad, I think, who passed this morning.

Why is it sunny today? It should still be raining. :cry:

am I reading this right Hazel??

I'm really sorry my condolences from my family to yours

Diamondsmum
May 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Ohhh Hazel.. are sincerest sympathies on the loss of you Dad.:grouphug::sorry:

Mat&Murph
May 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Awww Hazel We are terribly sorry for your loss :grouphug:
:candle:

rainbow
May 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I am so very sorry Hazel. :2huggers:

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:rip: Hazel's Dad :candle:

Dog Dancer
May 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hazel, my deepest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your father. You're probably right though, you probably did hear a message from him! I'm sure he'll be with you always. RIP Hazel's Dad.

chico2
May 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hazel,I am so very sorry,he must have been a wonderful man,to have brought up such a great daughter.
Condolances to you and your family:sad:

hazelrunpack
May 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Thank you for all the kind words...:grouphug: We're still kind of shocky, but arrangements are being made and things progress.

The cerulean hung around most of the afternoon :cloud9:

14+kitties
May 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Awww hazel, I am so sorry for your loss mf. :grouphug: My heart is breaking for you. :rip: hazel's dad.:cry:

Dee-O-Gee
May 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Your pictures and captions go hand-in-hand Hazel. They truly are remarkable.

On another note, my sincerest condolences to you and your family. We're all thinking of you. :grouphug::grouphug:

free
May 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
condolences to you and your family

lUvMyLaB<3
May 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
:grouphug: So sorry Hazel, to hear your news:pray: will keep you in our prayers.

So glad you were open and able to see the little bird messenger, they always find a way to send us a little bit of comfort.

growler~GateKeeper
May 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
:2huggers: I'm so sorry :sad: about the passing of your father :2huggers: :candle:

hazelrunpack
May 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I wanted to mention that's a gorgeous feeder btw. Are all your feeders the bottle types? How many do you have for them? And do the Hummingbirds like any flowers nearby?

All the feeders are glass--most of them are like the ones with the red cap and perching area. The copper-clad one we got because it was big. :o I use it when I'm having trouble keeping the feeders full. Normally I don't have to pull it out till August, when the babies are getting conditioned and the adults are already migrating. This year, I have it out already :eek:

I'm leaving Sunday and will be back Wednesday. hubby will be in charge of the feeders. :fingerscr :laughing:

hazelrunpack
May 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Somehow this thread didn't end up quite as expected. :o

:grouphug:

rainbow
May 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I just realized that I didn't comment on your original post. :o

Another great story and the pics of the hummers are amazing. :thumbs up :cloud9:

And, of course, the pack is as gorgeous as always :lovestruck: ....even when they're wet. :D

hazelrunpack
May 30th, 2009, 12:04 AM
They smell good when they're wet, too. :cloud9: I love that smell. And the rain makes their coats so soft--all floofy when they dry. hubby is gonna have to take over the grooming, too... :rolleyes: hazel's gonna come back to mats.... :o

rainbow
May 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I like the wet dog smell too except if it's from the river. :yuck:

I hope the Hazelrun Daddy does a good job when you're gone. :fingerscr :D

hazelrunpack
May 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I hope he at least develops a new appreciation of what hazel does during the day :laughing:

Oh, ya...like that's gonna happen :rolleyes:

rainbow
May 30th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Well, if he's anything like my hubby he would never admit it. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
May 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Must be a guy thing. :D But they're always in such a good mood when you finally get back, aren't they... :laughing:

rainbow
May 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM
LOL, yep .....you can almost hear them say "whew, finally". :laughing:

hazelrunpack
May 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
We'll see :rolleyes: Maybe he won't let me back into the house! :laughing:

And LP, doggoneit! I just realized I still haven't answered your question. At the time of the posting, we were hanging 3 of the red-ended feeders (1 c. capacity each) plus the copper one--which holds, I think, 3 cups. Today we're up to 4 of the red-ended ones and the copper one. :eek:

As for flowers, yes, I have impatiens both in pots and in the ground now, and I see hummers around them quite a bit. :D

Typically, I only need 5 feeders during fall migration, so I think when I get back I'm going to have to buy a few more. :o I just filled the fridge with nectar--so hubby has 32 c of liquid to work with. Course, after tomorrow morning's fillings, that'll be down to 24... But that should still give him a day or so of no 'cooking' :D