Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can anyone help

HelenNutmeg
May 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I am a member of a cross border dog rescue and this just came in.. I don't know if anyone here can help or knows someone.. but please cross post if you do..

www.bgwchs.petfinder.com

Below is a note I got this morning from the shelter. They are desperate for rescues to help pull some dogs. They have young to old, small to large.

"Since May 1st through today, we have had 951 intakes and have euthanized 265. That will continue to go up because we are so full."

Lorri C. Hare
Director
BGWC Humane Society
PO Box 1456
Bowling Green, KY 42102
270-783-9404
270-783-9474 (fax)
www.bgwchs.petfinder.com

I know everyone is full, beyond full and then some, but there are some incredible dogs here folks. Even just one dog - if you can pull just one dog - it will make a world of difference to that dog.

I've worked with them for a while now and they are amazing people to work with. They are honest and truthful about all dogs pulled, respond to questions and emails very quickly and their vetting prices are very very good.

Chris21711
May 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Helen - I know that the Cambridge & District Humane http://spca.cambridgeweb.net/ and Hamilton SPCA took a lot of dogs from Hurricane Katrina http://www.hbspca.com/, well over 100 and found homes for them.

I think coming from a rescue like yourself rather than a Joe Blow like myself, they would be willing to help out......just a thought.

HelenNutmeg
May 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Okay I emailed SPCA Cambridge.. no email addy for HBSPCA..

Thanks

Winston
May 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I was also looking for the Hamilton Burlington SPCA because they took in I think 90 dogs last yr from Hurricane Katrina? I know someone who may have an email address but I let you know! :thumbs up

What about THS? I am not sure what they are like for this type of thing?

Frenchy
May 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
KY , that's Kentucky USA ? :sad:

BMDLuver
May 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Frenchy, it's KY and most of the dogs route through Ohio when possible into Ontario. Unfortunately, I gather it's mainly cats that the number of euths represents. They do a pretty darn good job of getting most dogs out on transports all over. Of course, anything that has an ounce of pit can't go across the border into Ontario so that does preclude some of the dogs.. sadly. I think the number transporting two weeks ago was 107 dogs, pretty incredible numbers really.

Frenchy
May 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Of course, anything that has an ounce of pit can't go across the border into Ontario so that does preclude some of the dogs.. sadly.

that explains why they have so many pit / pit mixes .. I think it's wonderful they work with rescues , I saw that they have an application for rescues to fill out :thumbs up

BMDLuver
May 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
yep and they are very stringent about release to rescue... the dogs and cats need to be safe on the other end as well. If all your ducks are lined up then no problem, you can get a dog. I'm still working and hoping for Pudding if she can get a health certificate to cross the border eventually!

HelenNutmeg
May 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Always room for help with CBDR.. see the website..
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CBDR/

BMDLuver
May 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I just joined a while ago and it's funny because I've done transports but didn't realize they had a forum, it's always come to me third party so to speak. It's a great group but I do get sad about all the pleas for help as it's just so many dogs and so few folks that can help. :sad:

Frenchy
May 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I do get sad about all the pleas for help as it's just so many dogs and so few folks that can help. :sad:

I can't help with transport but I can help with fostering. I know I'm picky about the dogs I foster but I do have to think about my own. As long as the foster is good or indifferent with cats and dogs , I have no problem taking one in.

so if you need me , you know where to find me ;)

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks Frenchy! You may regret that offer in the near future:laughing:

Chris21711
May 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Okay I emailed SPCA Cambridge.. no email addy for HBSPCA..

Thanks

I'll get one for you.....I spoke to my daughter about it this morning and she said that she will talk to the shelter manager of the York Region Branch.

BenMax
May 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have forwarded to my rescue contacts. Hopefully something can be done. I am more then willing to foster a little one and put through rescue here. We are full as well but what's one more!

Could this possibly go onto a cross posting? Can you ask?

Frenchy
May 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Frenchy! You may regret that offer in the near future:laughing:

ahem .... I'll have you notice .... I'm still waiting for my foster pyrenee :D

seriously , like I told Benmax , I'm open to foster again now that Chloe is doing better . Of course I always keep in mind the safety of my own pets. So I can't take an aggressive dog , agressive with cats or dogs. Don't care if they're not housetrained , I never had problems to train them to be clean inside. :shrug: or if they need "after vet care" , pretty use to that too. :o

t.pettet
May 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Would love to adopt the poodles - Barbarossa, Grace & Anne.

t.pettet
May 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Frenchy quite a few Great Pyrs x Dane - 2 breeds for the price of 1.

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I was just going to say to Frenchy how about a really beautiful Pyr cross pup. I honestly don't see Dane in any of those 9 pups though!

I may be going down to buffalo to meet up with the transport as owner of a few dogs if age is an issue so you just never know folks. I know how to find both Frenchy and BenMax :laughing:

BTW, bowling green is very honest and upfront about the dogs they have. They don't say oh it's wonderful to get it moved on.

t.pettet
May 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
You're right they look pure Great Pyr. Unfortunately because I have small breed dogs would only be able to help the smaller ones. My pom girl (Tiffy) thinks she's huge and challenges larger dogs but is great with smaller ones. Typical pom attitude.

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Why don't you offer to foster for Loyal Rescue? They are in Ontario and can always use an xtra foster home. Just a thought T.Pettet

t.pettet
May 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I do foster through my vets and for some of my client's who are unable to keep their dogs because they're clueless or due to their own health issues or having to go into nursing homes. I have had a couple of dealings with Loyal Rescue but would rather work independently or through a smaller organization. I can't believe how many US shelters are so jammed packed and crying for assistance (thanks to the recession) can hardly bear to look at those sad furry faces.

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I hear ya...... it's me myself and I on the rescue front here as well. I figure if I can even just take 1 from Bowling Green then it's one more they can help from a high kill shelter. Maybe I can take 2, we'll see.

Frenchy
May 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hey Frenchy quite a few Great Pyrs x Dane - 2 breeds for the price of 1.

I was just going to say to Frenchy how about a really beautiful Pyr cross pup. I honestly don't see Dane in any of those 9 pups though!

omg puppies :lovestruck: but, I'm away too long because of damn work :sad: unless boss gives me maternity leave .....

I'm open for one dog BMD :thumbs up one that would be ok alone all day .

BenMax
May 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
BDMLuver - do you have my phone number? There is a rescue in Niagra Falls (very very small rescue) that may be able to help with taking in a few. I gave her the contact number but I am certain she has questions. I would like very much to hook you up with her to discuss in regards to transport.

Chris21711
May 29th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I couldn't get back on-line yesterday, here is the Hamilton email addy:

info@hamiltonspca.com

HelenNutmeg
June 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Good pull together gang.. even one saved is good

BMDLuver
June 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hey BM, sorry just checking in now. No, don't have a number for you.