Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 Year Old Kitty Sick

Cat&Dog Lover
May 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hi, My two year old "rescue cat" Bubbles got out on Sunday (4 days ago) and came home Monday. He hasn't eaten since he came home (a little tuna today), and is drinking. He also has diarrreah and is lethargic. We took him to the vet yesterday (his temperature and heart were good), and they prescribed antibiotics. I'm still worried - it's not getting better:confused:
Any thoughts?

allfurlove
May 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry to hear your kitty is sick:sad:
Did the vet say what they think is wrong? Maybe ate something she shouldn't have?
I think it will take longer than 1 day to see any real improvement, its good that she ate a little.

sugarcatmom
May 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
We took him to the vet yesterday (his temperature and heart were good), and they prescribed antibiotics.

Did they do any blood work or a urinalysis? X-rays? What reason did they have for prescribing antibiotics? I have to say, I'm very much against this tendency of vets to throw antibiotics around like confetti, without a diagnosis or solid reason to do so. And to top it off, antibiotics tend to cause digestive issues in cats (especially when given without food), which is the last thing you need in an inappetant cat.

What other things have you offered him for food? It's absolutely crucial that you get him eating, whatever it takes. He's at risk of developing a life-threatening condition called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) if he doesn't get enough calories. Try some plain meat baby food (no onions), or low-sodium canned salmon or sardines, maybe some plain yogurt, deli meat, parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of wet food, his favourite treats. Canned Fancy Feast is very appealing to most cats. There is also a special milk you can get from the grocery store called Whiskas Cat Milk (http://www.whiskas.ca/catmilk.html). If he isn't eating by tomorrow morning, I'd be taking him back to the vet (or another vet) for a more thorough exam (including x-rays) and possibly an appetite stimulant.

Good luck! Let us know how he's doing.

Cat&Dog Lover
May 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Hi, and thanks for the responses:)

With a little encouragement, Bubbles has eaten some tuna a few times during the night and again this morning. He actually looks like he has a little more energy, and he hasn't had any runs since yesterday. I tend to agree with you about the antibiotics - they don't prescribe them for people unless there is an obvious bacterial infection, so why for animals? Having said that, now that he's started on them we will keep on giving them to him.

Thanks again, and I will post when I have more news.