Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fighting BSL

mastifflover
August 11th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I have highlited a section that might be something to go to the mayor with it is an alternative to BSL. Even though your mayor is a jerk anybody that would say shoot them is well you can use your own adjective to describe him.

Fighting Breed Specific Legislation (BSL)
What should you do when you learn of a proposed breed-specific bylaw that you want to fight?

The best thing you can do is to realize that there are others out there who are already informed and want to help.

Don't waste valuable time re-inventing the wheel.

Do get involved and work with a network of people who can help you to take action effectively.

Keep one thing at the centre of your thoughts: your goal is to do what it takes to ensure that breed specific legislation is not passed.

Offer a better alternative to legislators.

Here are some sample media kits that you can look to if and when BSL affects your area. Take a good look at these packages, and call your local kennel club and breed clubs for contact names of others already involved. There are people who keep track of proposed legislation in most countries, and these should be the people you look to first when you decide to get involved. Remember: act strategically and don't re-invent the wheel!

How to Respond to a Dog Bit Incident in your Community
Quite often BSL goes hand-in-hand with a bite incident in a community. This is an excellent media kit with statistics and guidance when something like this happens in your community. The most excellent advice on this page is: "Do not talk to any reporters until you have some information in front of you to work with." Be prepared, and you better your chances of successfully meeting your goals. There is also good advice about preventing this type of incident.

Sample Letters to Send to your Legislators
Writing letters to your legislators, and encouraging others in your area to do the same, really does help. Here are some form letters that you can use to effectively present your position to politicians. Download one, fill it out, and send it to your legislator. Encourage others in your community to do the same. Remember that -- like it or not -- politicians are elected, and to be effective you need to speak to their political agendas and concerns.

California's Non-Breed Specific Dangerous Dog Laws
There are better options than breed-specific laws, and this California law is one of the best. Have a look, and present it to your legislators as a better option to the BSL that they bylaw have proposed. the link is below
http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweilers/laws/california.html
Better yet, why not take proactive action before BSL comes to your area? There are many things you can do to help before there is a problem. According to Ann Lettis, who has had a longtime involvement in both fighting BSL and educating the public about dogs, the first thing you should do is find out what laws currently exist in your area. Once you have this information, review those laws and suggest positive, effective changes to politicians.

sammiec
August 11th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Great minds think alike! ;) I just posted a thread about an information site on BSL, you can see here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6303)

Babs
August 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Fabulous Mastiff. I stumbled across that link as well, and am using it as a guideline.

I also found something today everyone should take a look at. It appears the top level of this issue begins at parliament:

http://www.lutz.nb.ca/comm/general/gen74.htm

The source appears to be lawyer's journal of some sort, but I'm still digging more to find out about this.

mastifflover
August 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM
It would be really nice if these people even had there facts straight. Pits are not people aggressive if any aggression it is towards other dogs and that is not an issue for a responsible owner. Any dog can be aggressive and vicious, it is about the owners. You can see by the gun control legislation that it does not work. We have had more murders by guns since this legislation has be enacted. Criminals don't obey the laws so what makes them think that irresponsible owners are going to obey the laws they will just go further underground. But what am I doing preaching to the people that know all this.

Babs
August 11th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I'd like to further extend on your gun law story Mastiff.

A few years back I went to a meeting in Ottawa with a friend regarding a Bill parliament wanted to pass in terms of gun licensing. He himself is training for Olympic Target shooting, but for the most part the people present were Hunters.

There were some interesting facts presented about places where very strict gun licensing legislation was put into place. In these places, gun-related crimes actually increased as more people would obtain and keep them illegally. The black market selling them prospered.

How does this refer to dog breed banning?

Well, how many people in BSL cities are selling/harboring dogs like this in private, on black markets, etc.? We all know the appeal human nature seems to have with anything that is taboo. Sure a dog is more obvious, but if it is kept indoors, in basements etc., it is not. Furthermore, dogs kept under these conditions will definately become aggressive!

If nothing else, laws like this are breeding improperly conditioned dogs. I have little faith in people to not do illegal things.