Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

and another year begins, introducing Alfred

Melinda
May 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Got a frantic call from my nephew, he's on a parking lot cleaning crew, a baby crow with a broken wing and feathers missing was in danger of being squished by customers at the huge clinic. So auntie to the rescue, what a sucker I am, turns out the wing isn't broken, he's a tad older than a fledgling (eyes are black, they would be blue if a "baby") he has been attacked by something because his one wing is partly bald, brave bugger, thinks he can bite me *L*. So he'll reside with us till the weekend when he'll be transported to Ottawa so he can learn to be a crow and later released...sure is tempting to keep him though:angel: he's a tad messed up because I had to clean his wounds and force feed him a meal to make sure he wasn't dehydrated.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0560.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0562.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/IMG_0561.jpg

Mat&Murph
May 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
awww poor guy!! Good for you Melinda!! keep us posted

TacoGrl
May 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Poor little guy :grouphug:

I love the tuff on top of his head :lovestruck:

rainbow
May 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Awww, poor Alfred. :sad:

Thank dog your nephew is as caring as you are to rescue the little guy. :angel:

Dog Dancer
May 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Aww what a cutie Alfred is. Yay for auntie Melinda doing her mama bird thing again. I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. Sounds like he has a good will to live anyhow, and the right family found him.

Melinda
May 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
thanks guys, and Dog Dancer...we didn't find him.....*L* rarely do I "find" them....its people that find ME!! *L* but I really don't mind, I had all the equipment out to set his wing only to find out it wasn't broke, I had my mini cage ready for the "wee" bird as my nephew called it...shocked me when I saw it was a crow! I know they are pests but damn I love those birds!

14+kitties
May 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
:laughing: That wee bird is going to grow up to be a big boy! What a cutie. Thanks for doing what you do. :angel:

Melinda
May 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
well Alfred did really well for his first day in captivity, he is a bit younger than I first thought, he won't bend to eat from the saucer but waits for me to hold it over his head, so I'd give him 3 weeks, his meal is "ground protein enriched dog kibble, strained beef baby food, egg yolk/shell (ground), a pinch of ground calcium, water, canned dogfood and rice baby cereal all smooched up to pablum consistency, I dip a makeshift spoon (straw cut on an angle) and hold it about 1/4 inch over his beak and he eats away...spoiled baby calls out if I'm too slow bring the chow *L* I called the rescue and they will accept him from me. thank god, he needs at least one other cage mate to be able to learn how to stay being a bird. The ministry was called and I did report having him , they are so use to me calling *L* I have their permission to keep him till the time I see fit to either release him or bring him to the rescue. So if he makes it through the night then his chance is great that he'll live to be rehabbed and released

Dee-O-Gee
May 26th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Wow Melinda--sounds like you've "been there...done that" :)

:fingerscr:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for Alfred. :angel:

Tundra_Queen
May 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Aww what a sweet bird he is.

I remember when I worked at the Chatham Humane Society having to feed a crow canned dog food.I was surprised that is what they ate.

I think u are wonderful for taking in birds.:)

Debbie

rainbow
May 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the update and so glad to hear that Alfred is doing well. :thumbs up

And :grouphug: :grouphug: for all that you do. :angel:

growler~GateKeeper
May 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Poor little guy looks like someone tried to take a chunk outta him :sad: :thumbs up for you & your nephew looking out for this little guy

:goodvibes: speedy rehab

Love4himies
May 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Well, Alfred is one lucky bird to be in that lot. And now me thinks he is going to become a little spoiled :cloud9: :lovestruck:.

You are wonderful to do this Melinda :grouphug:

Melinda
May 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Alfred made it through the night just fine, I found him stuffed snuggly into the makeshift "nest" in his cage, lazy bugger didn't want to wake up for his first feeding at 5 a.m., so it must be a male *L* but man, at 7 a.m. he couldn't eat fast enough!! He's "pooping" watery which is a good sign, means he's hydrated and old enough to be eating on his own, (babies dependant still on parents poop in an enclosed "sack" so parents can toss it out of the nest) I put some ground up (almost powdery) dog kibble near his nesting area to see if he'll pick at it, but so far so good for Alfred. thanks for all the well wishes for him.

BeagleMum
May 27th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Awww what a cutie!! I find it amazing how you have the ability to rehab so many of these animals, I wouldn't have the first clue what to do. Well, I know what I would do...I would call you!!

Glad to hear he's doing well today.

ancientgirl
May 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Poor guy. He looks like he's been through hell. I'm so glad your nephew called you and you knew what to do.

Melinda
May 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Awww what a cutie!! I find it amazing how you have the ability to rehab so many of these animals, I wouldn't have the first clue what to do. Well, I know what I would do...I would call you!!

Glad to hear he's doing well today.

No one really knows what to do Jenn, I treat the wounds as best I can but I stay in constant touch with the rescue in Ottawa as to how to go about feeding (I keep notes), housing and medicating etc. If the wounds are too much for me then I rely on my vets generousity. So its never just me alone.

kandy
May 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Awwww - he does look like something tried to take a few chunks out of him! How nice that your nephew has your same compassion - so many people would've just 'let nature take its course'.

I have no doubt that he is in very capable hands and will do very well!

TwinTails
June 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Oh he is beautiful! It is my dream to raise a crow one day (they are my spirit animal). I settle for conversations with the locals (about 30-50 of them living in nearby trees, every day they are around and chatty!). How did it go with Alfred?