Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diabetic shaking and twitching

debmorre
May 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM
My ****z-su is 15 years old. Has been diabetic for about 4 years, he is also blind now. He has been doing very well, was on 8 units of insulin 2x a day. He slept most of the time, the started to shake in afternoon. I increased his feedings to incluse 4 meals instead of 2. Then lowered his insulin to 6 units now, and also I have been checking his urine daily, no glucose at all. He seemed better and actually was awake more, and more active, now just noticed a little shakey at mid morning. Is this an insulin reaction or to much sugar reaction? Or something new with his age. I make chicken and brown rice for him, supplements wit a small amout of nutrish nuggets, and dried chicken strips for treat snack at night. Could he possibly not need insulin any more? Should I try to lower it again?

sugarcatmom
May 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Could he possibly not need insulin any more? Should I try to lower it again?

I would be calling the vet right away. It is entirely possible he needs less or no insulin, or that it's entirely unrelated, but unless you can home-test his blood glucose, only the vet can tell you what's going on. The fact that you're getting urine readings negative for glucose would make me leery of giving him more insulin at this point. Please call the vet right away.