Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kong Recipes

rexdoggieowner
August 11th, 2004, 10:05 AM
I looooove kongs... lol-- they make " SEXY REXY" happy :)
I was wondering if we all could post some recipe ideas for the kongs we use!!for example, 2 of rex's favorite kong recipes are:
1- cream cheese and cut up hot dogs ( only half of one though)
2- melted cheese in the kong then put cut up pieces of hot dog in it!!
he goes crazy for it...

sammiec
August 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Briggs LOVES small dog treat buried inside with peanut butter!! And I add one big treat for added pleasure - keeps her at it a little longer because it's harder to get out!

Lucky Rescue
August 11th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Here is a list of Kong recipes.

Stuffed Kongs (http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/index.php?nic=kong-dog-toys)

sujean
August 26th, 2004, 11:00 PM
all i can say is NUTTERBUTTER!!! stick half of one in the kong and the dogs go nuts! half of a nutterbutter lasts about an hour for our 90 pound belgian malinois

downside: giant puddles of saliva and an hour of the sound of gnawing at the kong.

Upside: very happy and busy dogs!

krdahmer
August 26th, 2004, 11:08 PM
90 pound!!! :eek:

Whoa big puppy!

:D

Spoiled
August 27th, 2004, 05:02 PM
My dog's favourite is a really thin layer of peanut butter spread on the inside, and homemade fruit roll ups stuck on top of the peanut butter.

melanie
August 27th, 2004, 06:56 PM
i thought cheese was bad for dogs?? also just wanted to clarify what a kong is- we have this football shaped ball that is about15cm long, it has a hole in either end and is hollow in the center, now is that a kong?? i dont actually know what this toy is and charlie does not seem to like it (if filled with food im sure she would). :D

Spoiled
August 28th, 2004, 09:59 AM
A kong is a certain brand of dog toy. There are tones of different Kongs you can buy for your dog. Kongs are shaped like three tennis balls going down in size cut in half and put together.

sujean
August 28th, 2004, 09:39 PM
i have never heard that cheese is bad for dogs. in fact, my vet recommended using pieces of american cheese to feed our dog his pills (when he was on them).

If cheese is bad for dogs, too bad for my baby who's second favorite kong treat is easy cheese!!

Freyja
August 29th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Lindy loves her Kong, but it certainly doesn't last as long as some say it should last!

RuffNTumble
August 29th, 2004, 09:08 AM
I have a neopolitan mastiff puppy (well, 19 months, but she'll grown until she's 3) and her name is Chewy (after Chewbacca from Star Wars) but in fact, she is one monstrous chewer. So far we have lost:
2 tv remotes
1 cordless telephone
1 pair glasses
1 baseball hat (the ridiculously priced $50 ones from the sports store.... ARGG there was a $10 dollar one right beside it!!!!!)
5 pairs of shoes
1 lonely shoe

But I digress. My girl needs to be "busy", so what I do, is I mix a little bit of yogurt and a little bit of pumpkin puree and I put it in the Kong. I seal the top with cream cheese and I put it in the freezer. It's nice on a hot day (like this week has been!) and it takes her a LONG time to get finished, because the kong has to soften before she can put it all in her mouth and munch on it.

Nothing else has been destroyed since... so far... better check on her now...

Ruffy :p

Spoiled
August 29th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Wow! That must be some chewer! I know a dog like it, but I'm quite sure that he doesn't chew quite as much as that. I don't think that cheese is bad for dogs. My dog loves cheese and it has never been a problem for him. :)

melanie
August 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM
i have always been told chees is bad for dogs and should only been given in small amounts, i think it has a chemical problem like normal chocolate (not the same, just chem probs). one of our celebrity vets commented on its use recently and repeated that it should only be given in small amounts. i just found this-
'table foods not to feed a dog-Heavy cheese sauces, creams, and cheese chunks (the high fat content can lead to pancreas problems and intestinal problems.)'
also dogs can have problems with high lactose contents of cheese and milk.

Spoiled
August 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Wow! I never knew that! Bentley gets sick if I feed him a large chunk so I only feed him really small pieces.