Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice on website

NoahGrey
May 25th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone as been or seen the petabuse.com website. It is a great website in trying to end animal cruelty. It has court cases, etc. It is a great site.

I am seriously interested in making a Canadian Pet abuse website. I am not the most computer savy person, but it will be a learning experience. Anyone know how I go about setting up a website like this?

Here is the petabsue website.

www.petabuse.com

Oviously the cases and name in print is public knowledge.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ACO22

northumberlandv
May 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I've been lurking for a while so I thought I'd help someone with something I'm familiar with.

The site looks like it's done a PHP Blog (like Wordpress, Blogspot, etc) with a customized template.

My first suggestion would be to contact the owner of the web site to get information about what they use and how they get their information. They might be able to provide you with the building blocks for your site.

Hope this helps.

Chris

NoahGrey
May 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've been lurking for a while so I thought I'd help someone with something I'm familiar with.

The site looks like it's done a PHP Blog (like Wordpress, Blogspot, etc) with a customized template.

My first suggestion would be to contact the owner of the web site to get information about what they use and how they get their information. They might be able to provide you with the building blocks for your site.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks. Yeah, I thought about contacting the website owner. I have actually spoken to her a few times, via email. I just get the impression that she would try too hesiate the person in doing it. Kinda like stepping on her turf.

ACO22

Mat&Murph
May 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I have been on the website and I think it is a great idea to start one here in Canada. I have no idea about websites but mybe phone a webdesigner and they can tell how to get started.

rainbow
May 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I thought about contacting the website owner. I have actually spoken to her a few times, via email. I just get the impression that she would try too hesiate the person in doing it. Kinda like stepping on her turf.

ACO22

Why would she think you would be stepping on her turf? You would think she would love for someone to offer the same thing for Canada. :shrug:

I don't have a clue about starting a website but sure hope you can get this started .....you are wonderful for doing so. :thumbs up

EndOfFashion
May 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
northumberlandv is right, it is a PHP site. For someone who is a complete beginner in web design, I definitely think getting an account with wordpress or a similar site would be the best idea. You can easily create or download custom templates (check sites like deviantart.com). I don't see why the creator of the pet abuse site would think you're stepping on her toes (unless she's given you reason to believe so). If it were me, I would be flattered and would do what I could to help you get started. After all, the message is what's important here, not who it's coming from...If you go to the page and click View (in your browser menu) and then Page Source, you can see all of the coding that went into creating the site. But I don't know if it will be helpful to someone with a limited knowledge of web design! :shrug:

Alternatively, I wonder if you could get in touch with a college/university to find a student to help you create a simple site for free - then you could learn how to maintain it? I know in my program, we were flooded with e-mails requesting "interns", etc. (I needed 400 hours of workstudy to graduate - many of them unpaid) and many students in creative fields like graphic/web design need either internship hours or work to put in their portfolios. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the GTA in Ontario you can try Ryerson University, Sheridan College, Humber College, George Brown College, etc. Just a thought!

Good luck, and definitely let us know what the outcome is!

Tundra_Queen
May 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hi
I made a website on angelfire; it was pretty easy. I made it a while ago. You can check it out here if you like.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/tiffany1/

Debbie

NoahGrey
May 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys. I will check everything out.

ACO22

CClover
May 28th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hi ACO22.I never try to do a website,but this might help:
http://www.2createawebsite.com/

Pet-abuse is wolrd wide,maybe that why she hesitate
http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/cruelty_database.php

I believe that you can do it too as long as it's not a ''copy'' of that website.

Good luck.Can't wait to go and clik!:thumbs up

northumberlandv
May 30th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Another suggestion as far as web design goes... A great place to find web designers would be your local Community College. If they have a graphic design program the students likely want to build up their portfolio so you'd probably be able to acquire their services at a very good rate.