Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neighbours aggressive dog triggers aggression in our German Sheppard

cmag
May 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Our neighbours have a terrier that is extremely aggresive. It runs up and down the fence barking and charging if you are walking by. They do absolutly nothing to stop this behaviour and our German Sheppard has taken to attacking the dog through the fence. We constantly try to stop OUR dog by scolding him or putting him in the house but this does not seem to be helping.

I don't know how to get our dog to ignore the idiots dog next door...any help would be appreciated....Please!

luckypenny
May 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
We teach our dogs to come immediately when there's something that's stressing them. I wouldn't recommend scolding as it's reinforcing a negative association with the neighbor's dog. How's your dog's recall? Perhaps it's something you can work on using treats or playtime with his favorite toy? That way, the Terrier's barking will become a cue for your dog to run to you for something good to happen.

Is there any way for you to put up a privacy fence? Something that may block the neighbor's dog from seeing you? Poor thing must also be so stressed, especially with owners who aren't trying to deal with the situation :frustrated:.

Etown_Chick
May 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
My neighbor's dog does that. I believe it's due to a lack of exercise/social time/training. Fortunately Scruff ignore it. I'm the one driven to distraction. Unfortunately we have a chain link fence between us, so I planted sunflowers all along it! :thumbs up
We'll see if it helps!

lostmary
May 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Here is something to try. Let me say that I am a certified dog trainer, but just because I suggest something doesn't mean it will work with every dog.
take a time when the terrier is out barking. Bring your dog outside the door and ask him to perform something, be it look at you, sit, etc. as soon as he does it, give him a treat. Now, the treat should not be something hard that he must chew. It must be soft, and just a tiny,tiny bit. You also don't want him spending his time chewing. You want him to look at you for more treats, that is going to be your hook to keep his attention. Never give a treat when he is acting incorrectly. You must wait for the "second" he glances at you, sit, whatever you are having him do. from the time the dog does something to the time of response is less then 4 sec. after that he will not associate his action with the treat. Ok..now when he is doing what you asked of him, then move forward a bit more. The distance is up to you, but you don't want him going crazy by getting too close. Again, ask for the same command you did at the door. again, quickly respond to his compliance by give the tiny soft treat. do this over and over again, till you can get him closer to the fence. this will not happen in a 5 minute time frame, but it should work over an hr or so. If not, let me know and we can try something else. Hope this works. Also, keep in mind that physical touch is considered positive reinforcement. Therefore, if he is acting up, do not pet, or touch him.

Mary

cmag
May 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the useful info. We will be working with Sammy and hopefully he will just ignore the pest next door. I will keep you posted...:)