Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6 m.o. GSD doesn't want to stay indoors

GsdDiamond
August 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Hi gang!

I have another question for you all:

Diamond is in the habit of wanting to stay outside ALL the time. She doesn't really like to hang around inside, even though that's where he chews and (indoor) toys are (all beside her HUGE pillow).

She's happy to come inside and eat, sleep in her kennel for the night, and will stay in if told to do so, although I don't like to force her to stay indoors in case she has to piddle.

We built her a small run (5x10) that she can lay in if we don't feel like standing around outside for HOURS.

I know some dogs would rather be outside, and if that's what makes her happy, who am I to stop her?

The problem is: because I don't want to spend all my time outside, how do I get her to spend (even just a little) more time inside? Winter's coming, and I'm hoping that she'll not want to be outside all the time. -30 is TOO cold to play outside.

Is it normal for a puppy her age to want to stay outside that much? Her Vet says if that's what she wants, and it doesn't hurt her, why not? We can't leave her run the backyard unsupervised because there are ornamental blueberry bushes (that even the birds won't eat) - but they're being removed this coming spring. There are also ferns that we're getting rid of this fall. She'd eat all the things I mentioned, or our small shrub (that we're also getting rid of), and I don't want her to get sick.

I'm sorry if this doesn't sound like it makes any sense. I'll clarify if you need.

Any advice?

rexdoggieowner
August 11th, 2004, 08:54 AM
do you take her out for long walks ?!

cause that is what i do with my pup ( 9 months)
he is like that too... he wont come inside, unless he knows that there is something good waiting for him :)

if you take her for walks, she will have a chance to be outdoors and then will be tired when she gets home

do you have a kong ? if not get one asap!! they work MAGIC!! its a toy that they can't bite through, and you put all sorts of food in there... whatever you like!! they will chew it for HOURS on end!!! and she wont care whether she is inside or out...

and another toy to get ( its soooo helpful)
its looks like a big ball, and there is an opening in it that you put treats in ( i just use regular kibble... ) and they play with it -- they roll it on the ground till the food comes out-- ohh boy does that keep em busy!!

Good luck :) hope i helped a little.. i'm new at this too

MBRA518
August 11th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Well... I've she's happy - why not.

As for the bushs you're worried about... why not remove them now - even if you just cut them down now and pretty it up later on if you don't have the time now. Just a thought, then she could have the run of the place.

GsdDiamond
August 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the quick responses!

She has a Kong (with "stuffin" put in), different size balls (tennis, lacross, soccer, bouncy hard rubber), squeeky toys, floppy toys, chew toys, smokey bone, butcher's bone (boy, does she ever have beautiful teeth!!), many other types of toys.
She's not wanting for anything to play with, that's for sure.

She goes on walks that are as long as I can physically do. I'm getting better, but I have what the doctor calls "hardening arches" (where the arch of the feet are actually tearing) so my feet get REALLY sore and I can barely walk. We'll mostly play soccer in the backyard, I'll egg her on to chase me around a bit, I'll play toss until she doesn't want to play anymore and just plops her butt down and lays there. We'll even play catch (gently) in the house, so it's not like she's not playing, or enjoying her time indoors.

The bushes are getting taken out only in the spring because our neighbours are going to help us (they want the bushes). I'd leave her outside to play in the whole yard by herself (checking on her very often) but I don't know if those bushes, or more specific - the berries, are harmful. I wouldn't think so as the previous owners of our house had two small dogs themselves but I'm not sure and that's what's making me nervous. (this is our first summer there)

Are ornamental berry bushes, or ferns, harmful if eaten?

rexdoggieowner
August 12th, 2004, 12:10 PM
my trainer ( we are in obedience classes-- finsihed the 2nd one) said that playing catch with the dog is bad cause they have to be trained on how to play with it... he said its because they get possessive with the ball... we are going to learn how to play with the dogs on our last few classes-- he need to be taught the basics first... did you take your dog to obedience class ? is she/he well behaved?

my trainer said that the only toys my dog is allowed to have is the kong and that ball that gives out treats!! for now that is

GsdDiamond
August 12th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Diamond's not at all possessive with her toys that we use to play catch/chase. If anything, she's like any other puppy... she loves to play keep-away. I don't know why your trainer would say to not play with a puppy that way. I've never heard of learning how to play with your dog from an obedience trainer.

According to my vet, my little angel is so well adjusted for a German Shepherd it's scary. He says, for the most part, that GSDs are very leary of new people. If he walks into the room they usually try and hide under a chair. Not my little girl. She runs up to him and begs for attention!
She has had 6 weeks basic obedience (manners) and is totally socialized with other dogs/people. She knows who the boss is (me) and who the chew toy is (my partner). Diamond's well versed in heel, sit, stay, come (9 out of 10 times), down, give, hush. She's going to be going for more intense obedience training. Her first trainer is a member of the GSD Club of Manitoba, so he knows all the right people to contact.

The only problem I have with her, other than the usual puppy stuff, is that she wants to be outside all the time.

Does anybody know if ornamental blueberry bushes, or ferns, are bad for her if she eats them?

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'd find another dog in the area she would love to play with and let them tire one another out. That sometimes is the best exercise a dog can get :D

There are dif degrees of toxicity for plants and if you check the net almost everything plant wise is said to be toxic for dogs and cats to injest.

:confused:

GsdDiamond
August 12th, 2004, 03:16 PM
The neighbour's dog is a little toy poodle. As much as he likes her from the other side of the fence, if they get face to face he's a snarly grouchy thing!

Other neighbours, down the street, have dogs, but none of them are very friendly. We're still fairly new to the neghbourhood, so we don't really know that many people. We'll stop and talk to folks that we come accross, but it's not very often they have dogs.

Don't get me wrong, she gets plenty of exercise when she's outdoors, which is most of the time. That's the problem. Outside dog. I don't want an outside dog. I'm at the pet store buying chews to try and keep her occupied while she's indoors. She's a bundle of energy, so she's always wandering around, from room to room if let to her own devices for 3 minutes. I'm trying to get ideas on how to keep her (happily) indoors.

My trainer, during the last couple of classes, told us how to do a "settle" with our dogs. If she's "settled" for more than a couple of minutes she starts to whine... she wants out. If I leave her wander around the house, she'll make her way to the back door and sit there and whine. She'll gladly come back inside and sit on me (while I sit on the floor) or play with some of her indoor toys, but she'd rather be outside.

She just wants to play 25 hours a day, all of it outside.

The bushes are going in the spring, and the ferns are going as soon as I have time (it was going to be fall, but I've just bumped it up).