Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Shiba puppy seems sad/depressed

shibamom
May 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
He will soon be 5 months and is full-on teething (has lost most bottom teeth and his canines are loose). His personality has changed a lot since teething. He doesn't eat much anymore (although he still eats enough - is on soft food). Before, he used to be so excited, now he just sits far away on the patio and looks sad. It can't be loneliness/borded - I'm basically a stay at home mom with him! He is very energetic on his walks (gets 2+ long walks per day) and is very distracted during that time (he is getting neutered in 2 weeks).

Is this normal for the teething stage? I know children get grumpy during that time, does this apply to puppies?

hazelrunpack
May 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yes, they can lose their appetites while teething--not only can their gums get sore, but their tummies seem to get upset more easily for some reason. That being said, however, if he doesn't seem to be on the mend soon, you should have him vet-checked to make sure there isn't something else going on. If he's going to be neutered in 2 weeks, you might want to have some screening done next week to make sure he's good to go--that will give you a little time to treat him if it's necessary and still be able to go ahead with the neuter :thumbs up

Brandy456
May 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
If he is sad then maybe you should do an activity he enjoys.
My dog, Sparky likes to go in the car to the petstore. If you could do that all the excitment of the place is sure to get his mood up, and maybe even let him 'pick' a little something would get him happy.

=)
Goodluck :pawprint:

rainbow
May 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, they can lose their appetites while teething--not only can their gums get sore, but their tummies seem to get upset more easily for some reason. That being said, however, if he doesn't seem to be on the mend soon, you should have him vet-checked to make sure there isn't something else going on. If he's going to be neutered in 2 weeks, you might want to have some screening done next week to make sure he's good to go--that will give you a little time to treat him if it's necessary and still be able to go ahead with the neuter :thumbs up

I agree with Hazel. :thumbs up

How is your little guy doing now? :goodvibes:

shibamom
June 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I agree with Hazel. :thumbs up

How is your little guy doing now? :goodvibes:

Hi, thanks for all your concerns. He is doing much better, it was certainly a teething issue. I think the Shiba Inu independence is coming out as well. The poor pup underwent his neutering this morning, so tonight he is a groggy state, but I'm sure he'll be right back at it again in a few days :)

SnowDancer
June 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I am not surprised that the independence part of your pup's personality is starting to show - just wait until puberty! But I guess since you belong to a Shiba group you will be ready for this.