Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Now what?

TulipRoxy
May 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM
I have been feeding my cat Sencha raw for a year now in hopes that it would cure his urinary tract problems. Well they're back. If you want to read the full thread here it is http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62900

My question is what do I do now. I kinda got scared when he started peeing everywhere again. I mean I want to do whats best for him and when it doesnt work out all sorts of questions start going through your head. Especially when you see the vet and have to say that he has been on vet diet since he first got crystals. Then the vet took x-rays and saw bones in his stomach and I had to make up another story. And of course I got a long cautionary tale on how bad it was for pets to eat bones...sigh.

So now Sencha is on s/d and all of my other pets are still on raw and I am at a loss of what to do. I would like to put him back on raw after him meds are done...but maybe with some supplements that will help his bladder.... Any suggestions?

bendyfoot
May 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
what raw diet are you feeding/using?

TulipRoxy
May 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM
I make it myself. The cats get a variety of meats, organs, and a variety of raw meaty bones. I supplement with fish oil and vit e.

List
May 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Ok, my cat Turk is the king of urinary issues :wall:

First thing is first, you need to get a urine sample. From the sounds of it, your vet is literally throwing a ton of things at the problem and just hoping one sticks.
Most FLUTD issues are not infections. And plus a culture and sensitivity needs to be run to ensure the correct anti-biotics are given to help. So I would be hesitant to use anti-biotics until I got a urinalysis.
If he's on s/d (or dissolution formula) than your vet is assuming that your cat has struvite crystals. Turk has dealt with these before (he is now raw fed). Best thing to do is to purchase some pH strips and monitor Sencha's urine from home a regular basis. Struivte crystals develop in urine which is too alkaline. The s/d and Rx diets have acidifiers in them to dissolve the struvite. Raw meat does naturally lend it self to a more acidic urine but some of our feline friends need a little help achieving that. I've had to use a supplemental L-methinione to acidify Turk's urine. You can find this at a natural vitamin shop (or you can pick up a product called Wysong Biotic pH -). This will have the same effect as those Rx diets.
I would stick with raw, but just try to monitor things at home. I would also suggest going back to your vet and getting a cystocentesis and a full culture and sensitivity run. This will really help in developing a plan of action.

Until then good luck , and I totally feel for you and Sencha.

TulipRoxy
May 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ok, my cat Turk is the king of urinary issues :wall:

First thing is first, you need to get a urine sample. From the sounds of it, your vet is literally throwing a ton of things at the problem and just hoping one sticks.
Most FLUTD issues are not infections. And plus a culture and sensitivity needs to be run to ensure the correct anti-biotics are given to help. So I would be hesitant to use anti-biotics until I got a urinalysis.
If he's on s/d (or dissolution formula) than your vet is assuming that your cat has struvite crystals. Turk has dealt with these before (he is now raw fed). Best thing to do is to purchase some pH strips and monitor Sencha's urine from home a regular basis. Struivte crystals develop in urine which is too alkaline. The s/d and Rx diets have acidifiers in them to dissolve the struvite. Raw meat does naturally lend it self to a more acidic urine but some of our feline friends need a little help achieving that. I've had to use a supplemental L-methinione to acidify Turk's urine. You can find this at a natural vitamin shop (or you can pick up a product called Wysong Biotic pH -). This will have the same effect as those Rx diets.
I would stick with raw, but just try to monitor things at home. I would also suggest going back to your vet and getting a cystocentesis and a full culture and sensitivity run. This will really help in developing a plan of action.

Until then good luck , and I totally feel for you and Sencha.

Thank you so much for your response. It just sucks because raw has worked so well in keeping all of my other pets healthy. Do you feed the urinary acidifier all the time or just when his urine Ph is too alkaline?

I would go back and get a UA, but honestly I don't trust the vet and probably will never go back.

I'll have to think about and see what to do...maybe I'll find another vet and take him in there. Its tough finding a vet that wants to get to the root of the problem. The last time he had a problem the vet prescribed the special food, and antibiotics ( even thoug there was no infection). So I find it hard to trust vets sometimes.

bendyfoot
May 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Are there any more holistic vets in the area that might be more interested in treating it with diet (not Rx diet, just food/supplements) than meds???

TulipRoxy
May 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I would love to find a holistic vet in the montreal area! I have been searching, not only for my own pets but I am also training to be a vet tech and I can't see myself working in a conventional vet clinic .

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

List
May 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I use the acidifier for a few weeks, I taper off the dose slowly., then go from there. My guys have been on raw for over 1 1/2 years, he rarely needs the acidifier now. And when he does, he doesn't need to stay on it as long. Buy some pH strips, it makes tweaking the diet a lot easier.

Raw for a cat with FLUTD is for sure the way to go. But avoid fish and even add extra water when you can.

Trust me there are ways to deal with this besides using Rx foods.

I really hope this helps some :)

TulipRoxy
May 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks... I hope so too.

Where can I get Ph test strips? Pharmacy?

sugarcatmom
May 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
PH test strips can usually be found at the pharmacy or health food store. Look for one with a wide range and at least 1/2 unit increments, something like this one: http://www.ph-ion.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=18 I prefer the sticks to the roll.

Sujaki
May 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Ah! holistic vets in the Montreal area. I know of one. ;)

Look up Helaine Haltrecht. She is actually the Vice-President of the Veterinary Accupuncturist Association of Canada, and promotes home cooking and whatnot. I ahd the chance to meet her at my school's career day, they brought her in to talk about her job. She also teaches at the Universite de Montreal, I think.
She also comes in once a week or so at Naturalanimal Pawtisserie on Sherbrooke for appointments. And the owner of that store has a lot of experience in holistic treatments and whatever, she's very nice.
http://www.naturalanimal.ca/new/eng/services.php
I'm sure you can call the store to either make an appointment, for advice, or to find out more about Helaine. Good luck! :thumbs up