Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog seizure?

lilbabeswt
May 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
from time to time my dog would suddenly get all stiff and started shivering when he's lying on the floor. he would start drooling and won't respond when i call his name. after 5 minutes or less everything would return to normal, and he usually goes to the backyard and stays there for awhile.
while he's all shivering and drooling he sometimes would poop (at the same time also would use his tail to cover his poop) and today he actually threw up a bit. it was some white foam and nothing else.
this is not the first time that happened but the vomiting part is. I have looked it up and am thinking that it is perhaps a seizure.
However, I am not very sure and was wondering if anyone has the same problem and such.
I would take it to the vet when it gets really serious (eg it happens more than once a day, or more than once a week. So far it only happens once every couple months).

Thanks

luckypenny
May 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Only a vet can diagnose what's happening with your dog. "Once" is enough to consider it serious imo. Good luck to your boy :fingerscr.

lilbabeswt
May 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I actually research about the seizure.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Graves.html

It said that seizure is very common in dogs unfortunately and if it happens way too often I should bring it to the vet.

luckypenny
May 20th, 2009, 06:46 AM
It said that ........ if it happens way too often I should bring it to the vet.

No, it says, A single isolated seizure in an otherwise healthy adult dog, however, does not usually require emergency veterinary care, though an appointment should be scheduled promptly for a thorough work-up.

Promptly means with no delay, soon.

Is this the same dog that recently started peeing in the house? It could very well be related to a serious medical condition. Have you spoken to your parents yet about taking him to the vet? Do they still want to give him away?

If you had a seizure, would you and your parents wait until you had a bunch of them before going to see the doctor? :shrug:.

lilbabeswt
May 21st, 2009, 03:03 AM
No, it says,

Promptly means with no delay, soon.

Is this the same dog that recently started peeing in the house? It could very well be related to a serious medical condition. Have you spoken to your parents yet about taking him to the vet? Do they still want to give him away?

If you had a seizure, would you and your parents wait until you had a bunch of them before going to see the doctor? :shrug:.

haha.. you know.. they actually would wait. no joke. they would.

anyway. the peeing problem actually stopped now. after a long convo w/ the vet and such he was fine he was just scared that's why he was peeing in the house and running away from it.
now he only pees when he's in the backyard. which is good.

i actually am thinking about taking him to the vet this weekend. i tried to eliminate the human food so he only eats dog food to see if that's the problem. he acted totally normal right afterward like he never had it before. he jumps around runs around plays around, then eats and sleeps like he always does.

Brandykins
May 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM
I hope you have taken him to a vet. My dog, Loki, has epilepsy. She took her first fit before she was a year old. She was sleeping on the floor when all her body stiffened up and her head went back and she started to convulse, it was scary. I called the vet right away and he came up. It had been a fit. She has the grande mal fits and is on Phenobarbitone and Potassium Bromide tablets. It is important that a vet sees your dog and blood tests taken. It may be that it is not epilepsy but some other form of seizure. I do hope all goes well for your wee laddie. With proper medication, fits can be controlled.

Hugs to him from me and doggy licks from Loki xx