Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartburn! OMG!

ancientgirl
May 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Last night I got the scare of my life. I woke up around 12:45 with this terrible feeling in my chest. It was like it was on fire inside. Now, I know right about now you are maybe rolling your eyes and chuckling at this dingbat who got scared because she had heart burn. I've never had heartburn. I thought I have, but after last night, I know I've never had it before. I had nothing to go on, nothing to compare this to. Add to that, my friend Alice who during her pregnancy had heartburn daily and the first time SHE had it she also thought she was having a heart attack because if you look up the symptoms on the web, they are similar. Not to mention after the passing of my friend Richard at the beginning of the year I'm really nervous at living alone sometimes. He died in the bathroom of his home. We don't know if he died instantly or if he lay there for some time. So that is on my mind now and then, especially when I'm not feeling well.

So I wake up, feeling like my chest in in flames and beginning to get that feeling like just before you faint, that cold sweat feeling. I kept thinking about Richard and wondered if right before he died he knew what was happening. I stopped myself since I do have a tendency to be overly dramatic, and I got out of bed. I went downstairs, with the gang bravely following me. I was going to take some pepto-bismol, but didn't have any and then saw I had Alka-Seltzer. I took a mug and water and plop plop fizzed fizzed and went upstairs. I turned on my night lamp, the TV and the laptop and promptly started looking up heartburn symptoms!

After about half an hour the A-S was beginning to work so I managed to calm down. I stayed up a bit, just long enough until the burning sensation went away entirely, then slept with my head propped up a bit. I'm so tired right now. I'm going to make sure I buy some things on my way home so that just in case this happens again I will have something to take. If this does happen again I'll see my doctor about it.

Now I have to really watch what I eat and when. I suspect the chocolate ice-cream I had around 7:30ish might have been the catalyst. I went to bed at 9:30, and from what I read having chocolate right before bed and laying down so soon after you eat can prompt heartburn. Good to know!

CearaQC
May 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Bit of Baking Soda in water (teaspoon or so) - chug down.

Gets rid of heartburn fast, but tastes yucky.

ancientgirl
May 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks. I'll remember that next time.