Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another one of those "people are idiots" or "some people shouldn't have pets" threads

Gail P
May 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
My daughter and I are in town today and after working the dogs we stop by the dairy for some ice cream. Of course, it's packed with the holiday traffic passing by and there's a huge lineup. A couple of people had dogs on leashes that were quietly waiting in line. Then another family (maybe some extended family too, there seemed to be a lot of them) arrives and lets their yellow lab out of their vehicle to just wander around anywhere it wants. Some of the family get in line, a couple of young girls call the dog once or twice and then ignore it and go sit on a bench. Mom's checking text messages or something and not paying any attention at all. The dog wanders around the busy parking lot, all through the lineup of people and where ever it chooses to go. Seemed to be a friendly kind of dog, no problems with the others that were there on leash but sheesh people! :loser: The traffic, the potential for a dog fight, the fact that not everyone is a dog lover and may even be afraid or allergic, and the fact that your dog is licking who knows what off the ground and eating napkins while you ignore it. What is with people? :shrug: I was going to say something but decided not to since they seemed the kind of people who would just look at me like I had 2 heads and pay no attention anyhow. Oh yeah, and one of the kids also went up and petted some other kid's pomeranian without even asking, just went straight to it, reached right out and put her hands on the dog. Lucky she didn't loose them (nothing against the pom, just the stupidity gets me). Stoopid parents, teaching the kids to neither respect other dogs or show any kind of responsibility for their own. :frustrated:

Longblades
May 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I know what I'd like to do in that situation. I'd like to lure the dog away, keep him for awhile, wait to see if the people notice, look for him, start to panic. Then I'd like to appear with the dog and say, "oh, is he yours? I found him waaaayyyy over there. A car nearly hit him. I thought he was a stray." Hoping that would smarten them up.

The closest I've gotten to actually doing this is calling my dimwit neighbour repeatedly about first her lovely cat, then her GSD, who she swore never left her property, and then her GR, who she also swore never left her property. I called that woman over and over to come and pick up her dogs and she did not learn to keep them contained somehow while at work. She would certainly qualify under your thread title.

kiara
May 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I agree with you on this one. The dog should have been on a leash and it is about time people got tickets for letting their dogs loose. Too many things could go wrong. A dog fight, a child could get bitten, the dog could get stolen or run over by a car etc... These parents are giving their children a bad example, that's why they don't ask if they can pet somenone's dog.

.nanama
May 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
people are so ignorant. seems like quite a lot of people own dogs without actually understanding anything about them and dog safety.

finallyamommy
May 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
My daughter is five turn six in Aug. She has known to ask to touch a dog since she was at least two. I have always taught her that. My father did the same for me. It is only respect for the dog and the dog owner...... As also it can save you from being bitten........