Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BaaAAaad Grooming Experince..

lUvMyLaB<3
May 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I was grooming a dog today for someone that I have never met before. I am currently going through the process to be a certified groomer, it will take about a year. But these people, who are very nice, got my name from somewhere and asked if I could please groom their dog. They usually go to the pet store they said and couldn't get in, they live out of town and needed it done and no one could on weekends. Their dog is a un neutered male yorkie/ shih tzu. I said ok, and made it very clear what my experience was. I have done many many dogs, and they just wanted an all over clip..

The dog showed up and was the most matted dog I have ever seen in my life. The mats were so bad that the mats were matted to the mats and pulling his skin so tight. His belly had mats that had pee in them. He is a year old. So I had to begin by cutting the hair pretty short.. and all went well.. I let him get used to the sound of the clippers and gave him treats when I put things near his face.. ect before I even got started..So everything was great, his body was all done and I was ready to start trimming his face, So I did his ears and under his mouth and his eyes, then all of a sudden he went PSYCHO, growling, yelling.. ect.. I was bit pretty bad a couple times on my hand.. While he jumped and bit me he got cut by the clipper!!

I FEEL SO BAD!!!!! I have NEVER cut a dog before!!! I stopped and called his mom and dad to come and get him.. They were not upset at all and were worried if I was ok. I was just so upset I hurt the dog, who already seems to have issues.. Anyway.. Then they tell me how he bites and freaks out when they try to brush near his face, and that he has only been groomed once... UHM. That is why I asked before you dropped him off!! He is also not neutered because they are not sure if they want to breed him or not yet!!! The cut he got was not too bad.. It did not bleed but was through the skin.. This is the most terrible day of my life! But really I showed them that he would like me and I could pet him, but if I help scissors near his face he would get mean. I would put the scissors down and he would like me again. He has a real fear of tools near his face. I had him on a table with a collar on, If I had known that he would do this, I would have restrained him differently. That is the thing with me though. I don't like restraining dogs in a way that is uncomfortable or just not right to me. But I would have done something different If I had known he would get hurt. They also said they did not ever want a muzzle on him..

I said sorry many times.. They said they would like me to do it again, and did not seem upset. The bites on my hand and arm are actually pretty bad, I have never been bit before!! What should I do? Seriously? This is so terrible that it has happened. I did not mean to hurt that dog! I would have done anything! It is such a terrible accident! What should I DO??? Help! I have been so upset all day!

mafiaprincess
May 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
It wasn't on purpose. They didn't disclose information to you. You were honest with them and didn't try to hide it. Worry about yourself at this point.

Cider was cut by a groomer once. Friend of my mom's who was also working on getting certified. Called me crying. Ended up actually being fairly bad. Quarter sized avulsion in her armpit that required surgery.

She offered to pay for the medical bills incurred for Cider... Cider apparently didn't even flinch when she was cut.

If you feel that terrible you can offer to pay for the medical bills.. but at this point I'd worry about your own wounds. Dog bites can get infected, and cause scar tissue and can be painful and nasty to heal. I got my hand in the middle of a dog fight last month and got 14 bites some worse than others to my hand. Please worry about your own wounds.

LavenderRott
May 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Seriously - take yourself to the doctor and have those bites looked at! The only thing worse then dog bites are cat bites.

You would not have hurt the dog if you had had ANY clue that you were going to have any kind of problem with him. If they had simply told you about the issue that he has with getting his face groomed - you could have been prepared and neither YOU nor he would have been hurt.

14+kitties
May 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I agree. Look after your bites. People need to be a bit more honest about how often doggie has been to groomer and bad habits. Not your fault at all!! :grouphug:

lUvMyLaB<3
May 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys, you make me feel better, I am really not that worried about me, just about the dog.. Apparently he bites his owners all the time... He said.." yeah! and don't try and take his bone away!!" well, that would have been great info.. The cut on the dog is about the size of a pencil eraser? maybe a bit smaller.. It did not bleed. I offered but the don't think they will seek vet help, I said to keep it clean, it did not bleed, I don't know if it went through all the skin layers? But I can't stop freaking out, I am so stressed, I was in tears for a long time.. This has ruined any confidence I had..

14+kitties
May 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I groom Keesha a few times a year. She hates the trimmer near her face too. Because of that I sometimes have to try to use scissors. I am always petrified I am going to cut her. I haven't with the sciccors but I have with the trimmer. She heals up quickly and never seems to be too upset. Course it's never been bad. It doesn't sound like what happened with the doggie today was either.
Deep breaths. Have a stiff drink or a nice cup of tea. Maybe that will help.
NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babymomma
May 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Gotta tell you.. Im worried about the dogs situation, Not that you cut him, im sure hes perfectly fine.. but, It just sounds as though his owners are, well, the kind of owners that i do not like.. The way you described his fur and the matts, ugh, makes me cringe... I mean, seriusly, Not sure if they are going to breed, a unstable, biting mutt.. I mean, Come on people!

I hope your bites heal quickly! Bites hurt alot.. Dont let that ruin your confidence, you didnt try it and in all honesty, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.. It was sooo sooo sooooooo very irresponsible of the owners NOT to tell you that he was a biter when you trying to groom his face... Next time, just ask your "client" If their dog has any sensitive areas on its body that you should be careful around.. Keely is sensitive about having her feet touched when you have nail clippers in your hands, she will pull away but not totally freak out..

Butch used to bite me all the time when i first started walking/training the guy, So i feel your pain..I miss my biting buddy :sad:

t.pettet
May 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Take a deep breath and forget this ever happened. If you dwell on it it will make you fearful for future grooming. These owners are irresponsible morons and if this dog is only a year old and that badly matted it makes me wonder if he was ever successfully groomed before. I would be really angry at these people for not warning you of his dominant/aggressive nature and putting you at risk of injury. If you are going to groom him again have him sedated and muzzled and have someone to assist holding him for you. I was bitten very badly about 16 yrs. ago and I thought it would never stop bleeding. Had to go to hosp for a tetanus shot because the whole arm and hand swelled to about 4 times its normal size and I couldn't even close my finers for about 5 days. As you gain more experience you will be able to read the subtle signs of a nasty temperment and be able to tell alot from the condition of the dog and their not so honest owners.

lUvMyLaB<3
May 18th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I know! He is a year, they have had him since he ws 6 months old.. His hair was LONG! I am sure they NEVER brushed him, the mats were bad, all over his body.. She said he wasa 'bit' matted in the email.. She said she had him groomed once... I am sure they don't brush him because they would eat them.. It is sad, I said to them to try brushing him for a few minutes every day! Lets hope they do... I don't like putting a muzzle on, but he will need it, usually I can work with nervous dogs that get agressive, this one doesn't even try to pull away or give warning first, just freaked on me and bite bite bite HARD too! He had all kinds of pee and poo stuck around his you know what!

I almost passed out when she said ' cuz we aren't sure if we want to breed him or not yet' WHY???? he is not even the greatest looking dog in the world let alone his temperment! yikes.... it takes all kinds..

I feel SO BAD for this dog! I hope they don't go home and start to hate me and tell everyone I am terrible dog cutter! It was totally and accident the way he jumped it was hard to avoid.. GAH! I cannot get over it! What a BAD day!

TacoGrl
May 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I just can't imagine WHY these people didn't tell you the temperment prior to grooming :frustrated: They seem to not care about their dog or you safety-wise...I mean, much worse could have happened :sad:

I just don't get some people.

:grouphug: for you and yes, make sure you take care of your scratches.

Longblades
May 19th, 2009, 07:59 AM
No help to you now but I think for their own protection groomers should have customers sign some kind of disclosure documenting the dog's previous behaviour at groomers, whether groomed before, vaccinations, what the groomer will attempt to do if all goes well or not and a disclaimer.

When I found a terribly matted GR no local groomer would take her because I could not provide proof of vaccination.

I agree, you should see a doctor for the bites.

lUvMyLaB<3
May 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Longblades, that is a good tip, and something I should consider.. I wasn't looking to start grooming for people I don't know, I have enough with my own dog and friends dogs at the moment, and was waiting until I really got into it, But I have gotten so many emails, and this dog really was desperate...I wanted to help.. She sent me an email today saying he is just fine and I shouldn't worry, and that is nice of her. She could be pissed at me. My hand is swollen and pretty sore, and the bite on my arm bled pretty good... The dogs mats were pulling at his skin.. He was in pain from them I am sure. I am glad I got his body done so that he will be more comfortable. They want to bring him back to me to get finished they say.. when he is all better.. His cut looked terrible, but didn't bleed at all.. I also shaved around his wee wee all the way to the skin b/c it was matted with pee and disgusting.. i don't get it.. you get a long haired dog.. It is one thing if you don't want to keep up with the coat and get it clipped, but to let it grow out and never brush it? That is NOT ok!

chico2
May 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
The first thing that came to my mind,was very bad owners:evil:if a little dog is that badly matted,I have a feeling they did not give a hoot about the dog.
Probably wanted him trimmed to be a suitable stud,alarm-bells are ringing about these people:sad:
Take care of your bites:grouphug:

Mat&Murph
May 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
As a dog owner, it is part of being responible to disclose any info that could help groomers, vets or anyone esle that deals with your dog. Example Matt hates having his ears cleaned. Hasn't bit but he growls. but that is something that is my duty to disclose!! Don't feel guilty!! And get yourself taken care of.

.nanama
May 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
that poor dog. the owners seem terribly ignorant, unconcerned and uncaring... about YOU and their dog! obviously they should have warned you but they should also take basic care of that dog! all those mats! i hope to god that they've at least gotten his shots & such.

good luck, get well, and may you never have such an unpleasant experience again :(

Tundra_Queen
May 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm so sorry u got hurt. Did u ask them if he had his shots? I wouldn't groom a dog without proof os up to date shot.

Like others have said u need to get to a doctor and get a tetnus shot if u aren't up to date on those. If your hand is swollen sounds like it might be getting infected. Please go to the doctor.

Debbie

Smoocherific
May 27th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Wow, those are the type of people I detest!!

My little Fin (we think he is a shih tzu/yorkie or something mix..came to me fully matted, covered in his own filth (poop was actually in the MIDDLE of some matts, he stunk real bad, leg was matting to his body, eyes so full of gunk he couldn't see)..I don't understand why people purposefully get a longer haired dog and refuse to even brush it!

This is not your fault. Finny hates his face being touched as well, of course he does..no one ever touched it! I wash his face every night and comb his face every night and brush his body..he is getting used to it now..but he HATED it. They didn't disclose anything too you.

I hope your ok and the wounds heal fast. That poor little pup.

redpen
June 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The first thing that came to my mind,was very bad owners:evil:if a little dog is that badly matted,I have a feeling they did not give a hoot about the dog.
Probably wanted him trimmed to be a suitable stud,alarm-bells are ringing about these people:sad:
Take care of your bites:grouphug:

I agree.. and if they don't, what are they doing with a yorkie anyway??

oh yea, and I know how much you're worried but please put yourself first.