Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogtown....

krdahmer
May 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I was having a great day today, and then I watched a few minutes of Dogtown (which I find is normally a pretty upbeat show with happy ending stories about dog's they rehabilitate). They were at a reservation somewhere and at first it looked like they were helping lots, but then on the way back they had one more stop, the reservation dump, I should have turned the channel, but didn't. They were looking for more dogs that may have been abandoned there and were checking the dumpsters for puppies etc, didn't find any, until they looked at a more secluded spot, and found a perfectly healthy dog shot in the head and covered partially by a garbage bag. They said that happens often, they find healthy dogs killed because people don't want to abandon them, or let someone else have them, or can't afford them..... well I've been a blubbering mess ever since and I can't get the image of that poor baby out of my head:cry: I mean for Christ's sake, if you can afford a gun and bullets, you can afford frikkin dog food!!!:yell::mad: Just another reason I think it's high time reservations were done away with. Ya some of our ancesters pushed your ancestors out of their land and tricked them.... time to get over it, no one living now had anything to do with it, on either side.

I'm just so very upset, I mean I'm not naive I know that happens a lot, but to actually see it is something else entirely.

:rip:God Bless you baby:angel2:, I'm so sorry your life ended that way, I hope you didn't suffer and know that if no one else did, I loved you. :sad::cry: And to all the others they picked up that day... my :pray:

lUvMyLaB<3
May 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Terrible isn't it? I believe they said dogs have died in that tire pile too.. Why would they shoot it knowing dogtown goes there? Why can't those people surrender to rescue instead of abandoning it? So sad.. and just think how often this happens in places where there is no dogtown to come and find the puppies? I don't turn the channel, I watch it and get mad, gives me reason to keep trying.. Just saving one will make a difference.. Sometimes I get down and think nothing will change, no matter how many cats I foster there is always one more. i love dogtown! I wish I was the trainer that lived on site! What a life that would be!! To see all those dogs get better and get awesome forever homes! They will do ANYTHING to save a dog..

Will there ever be new dogtown shows does anyone know? I have seen them all 100 times.. I would love to see new shows, i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that show!!

BenMax
May 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
This is not a unique story unfortunately. It happens everyday. In rescue, this is something that continues to happen even with all the education that is out there. So many of us must live with what we see, and we are helpless. Until the laws change and there a tuff penalties to those that are found quilty, this will continue to happen.

krdahmer
May 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention, I love love love all those people that work and volunteer at dogtown, we need more and more places like that and Cat house on the kings.... I know if I ever have the space or the chance, that will be my mission.

And now that I've calmed down a bit, I do think that I'd be more concerned if something like that didn't have the affect it did on me, and you're right, seeing those things does make me even more determined to do more...

ancientgirl
May 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Kr, I know the episode you are talking about. That upset me so much. I cannot fathom anyone doing that to an animal, especially a former pet. It's just barbaric.

Tundra_Queen
May 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
I completely understand why that affected you. I do not know about dogtown, but last night while surfing the net I found a website about rescuing dogs from Moosenee and Moose Factory along the James Bay Coast about 150 miles from where I live. I cried when I read about the natives shooting dogs and puppies as their way of animal control, the absue and the non vet care. Their dogs living outside all year round in -40F weather. I was devestated! I am so thankful that at least one couple gets puppies from there and raises them and adopts them out! It just breaks my heart!

Debbie