Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fussy dog that never ate.. suddenly eating non stop?

breavery
May 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've got an almost 2 year old Shih Tzu who has always been an extremely fussy eater.. could count the pieces of kibble she ate in a day!? This has been a continuous thing.. she had been checked by a vet and the vet said she was too slim, did tests, etc.. nothing found so just try different foods is what I was told. Now, all of a sudden, she is eating like a great dane!! She literally gulps the food down as soon as it hits the bowl.. and I'm not exaggerating! She actually gives herself the hiccups! This may sound strange, but is there a health concern to this, besides weight gain.. I guess what I'm asking is.. could there be a underlying health cause or is she just a strange one?? I don't want to bring her to the vet for nothing... her vaccinations aren't due until August. I haven't changed her food since I put her on Orijen, a few months ago. Perhaps, she just acquired a liking to the food all of a sudden?? Has anyone else's dogs done this?
I don't know what to think, except it's strange!
Thank you for your help..:shrug:

Chaser
May 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
My dog Chase ate the bare minimum all through puppyhood.....he would skip as many as three meals in a row, just sniffing his food and then walking away. Not knowing much about nutrition, he was on Eukanuba and then Nutro at that time. As I started to switch to better foods his appetitie got better. I saw some improvements with Wellness and then about a month after starting Orijen I realized he was dancing in circles waiting for his meals!

This could very well explain the increased appetite. Good for you switching to a great food! :thumbs up I would just check your dogs poops carefully for any signs of worms. As long as her poops look healthy and she's active and happy then I wouldn't worry. Just mention the food switch and appetite change to your vet when you go in August.

The gulping and hiccups aren't the best thing though. My female does that, so I started putting a kong in her food bowl. She has to eat around it and that slows her down quite a bit. :)

Chris21711
May 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Funny you should say that Chase Mom, I put a kong or ball in Skip's bowl, when it starts to get in his way, he picks it up and just removes it from the bowl :laughing:.....A Shih Tzu wouldm't be able to do that so easily.

breavery
May 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks. I never thought of that... I have seen the bowls that are supposed to slow down the dogs' eating (with bumps in it) but they want a fortune for them (!!) What a great easy idea.. I'll definately try that, may have to buy another kong though as the one she has is her favourite toy.. wouldn't do that to her.... LOL
Thanks again.. maybe it is just that she suddenly decided that she loves Orijen.. I switched my cats to Orijen at the same time.. (from Royal Canin) and the difference is really noticeable.. I've even noticed their hair is softer and seems fuller! I love this food and I tell everyone I know how great my experience is with it!
Thanks again... soo much for your help!