Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Vomit

epcjay
May 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and this place provides so much great informatiom and here's the story.

My girlfriend and I adpoted a cat from the local humaine society early this month and he was throwing up every couple hours, until he had no more food to throw up, he then threw up clear water. Between the throw ups he would still and go drink water. He was sneezing and sounded like he had a stuffy nose. He also had diareha

We brought him to the vet, and they prescribed anti-biotics, gave him a shot and also gave us a can of Medi Cal Recovery formula for cats. He's been eating his dry food through out the week, Science Diet (which I'm reading its bad?)

Fast forward a week later, He finshed his medcine but still has the sneezing and sniffing. Then today when I woke up early this morning, I found vomit on the carpet again. He hasn't done it, that I've seen since I've been awake.

Should I be alarmed? Do I need to bring him to the vet again?

*Edit, I think I posted in the wrong section

Love4himies
May 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
First off, I would change his food, Science Diet is a horrid food, and kibble really shouldn't be fed to cats, canned is much better. Here is a link with some excellent info on cat nutrition:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Is your kitty still eating? Is he eating quickly or alot at one time? Is he still playing or very lethargic? Did the vet take his temperature?

Feline Herpes Virus is very common in shelter cats and makes an appearance when a cat is under stress. That could very well be what is up with your kitty.

Anytime your cat is vomiting continuously, it risks becoming dehydrated and will need vet care to administer fluids under the skin.

lUvMyLaB<3
May 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I agree with L4H.. It is probably a virus that your cat will always have, but is only popping up like this due to stress.. Feed a high quality canned food, and watch for dehydration. You can keep checking for this by pinching up a bit of skin, it should flop down instantly, if it stays up in the pinched shape, your cat is dehydrated, and will need the sub-q fluids like L4H said. If kitty is having trouble breathing through his nose because he is too stuffy the vet can give you some saline to help rinse it out and make him more comfy. Also watch the eyes, if they get goopy you may need eye drops. If you are concerned just give the vet a call. If kitty seems lethargic or not right go see the vet and have some things checked out. Keep him cozy and quiet and hydrated, you could even add a small amount of water to the canned food. If it is the virus, you just have to get through it, it should pass and everything should be ok if you treat the symptoms well. Also antibiotics will not help the sneezing ect.. It would help if there was also an eye infection or something but if it is all viral then they wont help at all. I would at least call the vet and tell about the throwing up, you really need to make sure kitty is hydrated.. Good luck! Hopefully he feels better soon, and you guys can get to know eachother and have a long happy healthy life together!