Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Senior Cat food

dmc123
August 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on good brands of canned cat food for my 13 yr old cat, Cody.

Two 3 yr old cats, siblings, share the house and normally they all eat out of the same dishes. With Cody getting up in age, I want to provide him with a little more nutrients that will be good for him. I hope to feed him separately at least once a day with his very own "special" food.

Any insight as to the better brands is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Nutro Natural Choice makes a good senior cat food.

I prefer to feed canned foods to older cats and neutered males,as many cats don't drink enough water and can benefit from the water in canned foods.

Indoor cats are living so long these days that they seem to outlive their teeth, so regular checkups including dental exams are a good idea.

dmc123
August 10th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks Lucky, I will look for that brand.

As for the exams, yes, he goes regularly, I lost my 12 yr old this past May, started with tooth problems. I also brush the 3 yr olds teeth on a weekly basis, and Cody whenever I can.

Thanks again.

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2004, 07:34 PM
As for the exams, yes, he goes regularly, I lost my 12 yr old this past May, started with tooth problems.

Oh, sorry to hear that.:( Yes, tooth problems can lead to kidney failure as infection spreads. Very sad.

This is just anecdotal of course, but all my cats who lived to 17, 18 and 20 years of age ate canned food all their lives and never had kidney problems, urinary probs, or any problem with obesity.

glasslass
August 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Puss-Puss (15) has had both dry and canned all her life too and has never had problems except for being hyper-thyroid these last couple years. She also will sometimes snack on the dog's dry food as well. I read somewhere, but can't remember where so I can't quote it accurately, that cats need both wet and dry. She's had Fancy Feast all her life. I changed her dry to (?) something Gold (?) after reading a thread about foods a couple months ago. To be honest, I haven't looked at the Fancy Feast ingredients because she likes it so much and has done well on it.