Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seal Hunt and update for anyone who doesn't receive HS emails...

krdahmer
May 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thought some of you might be interested, not sure if it's been posted yet, but I got this email today from the HS of canada.

VANCOUVER, MAY 16/09 – The European Union (EU) won high marks of praise from The Humane Society of Canada for a ban on the import of seal products which passed last week in Strasbourg, France by a vote of 550 to 49. The ban is expected to be endorsed by the Council of Ministers representing the national governments of the 27 member nations in the coming weeks to ensure that it is in place before the 2010 Canadian seal hunt. The next phase will involve the implementation of the ban throughout the EU.

“Instead of trying to end this terrible cruelty, for years, Canadian politicians, civil servants and sealers have waged a multibillion dollar taxpayer funded campaign of artificial trade subsidies, misinformation and intimidation. After waiting decades for Canada to clean up its act and watching a bad situation only get worse today the European Union representing more than 491 million of their own citizens decided that enough was finally enough,” explains HSC Western Regional Director Al Hickey.

The HSC Chairman & CEO Michael O’Sullivan cautions that the battle is not over yet and says that Canadian taxpayers need to send a clear signal to Ottawa that it is time for a change: “For the first time in history and particularly in these troubled economic times, the Canadian Government has real opportunity to take a leadership role in reversing the harm caused by the seal hunt and moving forward with a new fiscally responsible and pragmatic direction that saves tax dollars and creates real jobs with a future.”

This includes a ‘made in Canada’ solution which has so far been repeatedly ignored by Canadian politicians. The proposal included a cheque for $10,000 from The Humane Society of Canada to jump start and manage a federal government fund to buy back sealing licences and launch new initiatives to promote ecotourism. The animal charity also offered their expertise to enlist the goodwill of Canadians and others from around the world to match dollar for dollar the amount of money needed to end this cruel slaughter once and for all.

“In addition, billions of dollars are being lost through resulting boycotts of seafood, tourism and related industries and Canada’s international reputation continues to suffer because of their actions. Concerned groups have already announced their intention to boycott the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010. The harsh reality is that it has always been more expensive for Canadian taxpayers to pay for the annual seal slaughter than it would be to end it and pay sealers compensation and launch job training and skills programs,” says O’Sullivan.

Less than 0.015% of Canadian engages in killing seals during the short time frame that the hunt takes place. However, with no regard for their fellow 33 million Canadians, the sealers demand that everyone else’s tax dollars unfairly subsidize this failed industry – and even worse that the rest of us share the collective blame for the annual slaughter of seal pups.

Repeated surveys by the Government of Canada show that less than 5% of Canadians hunt any wildlife at all and that 9 out 10 Canadian support the protection and not the killing of wildlife. If it were not artificially propped up by distorting trade subsidies, the annual seal slaughter would have ended decades ago. Tax weary Canadians are tired of elected officials and civil servants misusing their hard earned money to support the slaughter of seals.

“Simply put, the seal hunt is an economic, political and animal protection disaster. It is a bad deal for people, animals and the environment. Every time a seal pup is killed the shock waves are felt across the country and throughout the economy and around the world for Canada.

For decades, millions of seal pups have been killed and elected officials have a real chance to respond to the more than 9 out of 10 Canadians who want to put an end to this terrible cycle of violence once and for all,” he says.

For more information on the seal hunt, please click on BACKGROUND

CONTACT: Al Hickey or Michael O'Sullivan by toll free 1-800-641-KIND or Michael on his cell phone (416) 876-9685 or at www.humanesociety.com

[For more than 17 years, Al Hickey was the Chief Executive of the BC SPCA and before that headed up the Alberta and BC Chambers of Commerce, and the Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Vancouver. He has 6 grandchildren.

A father with two children, and a houseful of dogs and cats, O'Sullivan has worked across Canada and in over 100 countries during the last 40 years helping people, animals and nature.]

The Humane Society works to protect dogs, cats, horses, birds, livestock, lab animals, wildlife and the environment. They carry out hands on programs to help animals and nature, mount rescue operations, expose cruelty through hard hitting undercover investigations, work to pass laws to protect animals, fund non-invasive scientific research, support animal shelters and wildlife rehabilitation centres and spread the word about how to help animals and nature through humane education.

A registered charity, The Humane Society of Canada depends entirely on donations to support our programs to help animals and the environment. All donations are gratefully acknowledged with a receipt for income tax purposes. If you would like to support our campaign to protect animals and the earth, please make a donation here . Because when it comes to fighting cruelty, we don’t give up. Ever.

chico2
May 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Dahmer,yes.I got the same,everything they say makes perfect sense to most of us,except to our totally ignorant politicians:evil:

jakhi
May 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Ok, as much as the idea of killing helpless babies, and the way they do it, makes me sick...The seals aren't endangered. In fact if I remember correctly their population level is pretty stable.

Wouldn't that suggest that something NEEDS to be done to curb the population? Is leaving the seals alone only to have them all starve to death from lack of food a better solution???

I'm not saying I agree with the way it's done. I'm just saying that there are worthier causes. Like...polar bears. *shrugs*

Etown_Chick
May 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I just do not get why anyone would feel the need to smash a baby seal..I really don't.