Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding Bowls - High or Low?

chadj88
August 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM
For years the "experts" have advised raised feeding bowls are best for a number of reasons. Now, some studies say placing the pets bowl on the floor is best. Anyone have links to some studies about this?

Thanks!

Cactus Flower
August 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
I could paste a hundred links saying to raise the food/water bowls if you own a Great Dane or other "giant". It is not only a courtesy, as they are very far from the floor when standing, but it might help to prevent bloat.

What kind of dog do you have?

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
My dog's bowl is just at her lower chest level, and don't know if it's coincidence or not, but she never upchucks, no matter how fast she sucks up her food.:)

I would think that just based on laws of gravity alone, a raised bowl might be a good thing!

goldenblaze
August 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
My dog's bowl is just at her lower chest level, and don't know if it's coincidence or not, but she never upchucks, no matter how fast she sucks up her food.:)

I would think that just based on laws of gravity alone, a raised bowl might be a good thing!

Do you think a raised bowl is best for any size of dog?
Jordie and Blaze both have the low bowls now should I change that and if so for both boys or what. I have often wondered myself about this. Again one more great find here! :)

Goldenmom
August 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM
I have raised food bowls for my girls. I feel they help their digestion etc. Its all a matter of opinion. It also causes less mess for water. My business sells Raised Food Bowls and everyone is very happy with them.

Heather

LavenderRott
August 11th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I had raised dishes, but found that my girls prefered to remove the food from the bowl and eat it off the floor!

Goldenmom
August 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM
I had raised dishes, but found that my girls prefered to remove the food from the bowl and eat it off the floor!

I had a foster like that! People came over and thought I was a mean ole mom making him eat off the floor. Sorry, whatever it takes!

I have a 3 bowl raised bowl. 2 food bowls and the water in the middle. I love it.

Heather

mastifflover
August 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I have found the raised dishes help them digest their food easier it is a more direct route to their stomachs and they do not get as much air in their stomachs as well. Having a breed that is prone to bloat I am for the raised dishes, and I think any dog would do better with food at a level where they are not bending over to eat. The did a study at Purdue and they did not use a very large cross section of dogs and said basically that they do not deter bloat. Unfortunatley they did not use a lot of dogs that are prone to bloat so that was a waste time and money. Most owners of giant and large breeds that I know all use raised dishes.