Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Outside With the Boys

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Spring has sprung :D..unfortunately so have the weeds :evil:

Luckily I have two lovely companions who love to be outdoors with me as I weed away :cloud9:

My gorgeous Onnie. He doesnt need a lead or harness becuase he likes to stick close.

Neighbours were also picking weeds. Fascinating stuff to a kitteh.

Look at those pearly whites!! Mid-nom. In the background you can see Bunduk on his new lead/harness set-up. He aint no happy kitteh. Also you can see my pansies shrivelling up and dying due to unexpected frost :yell:. Some of the flowers did better than others. Any gardening gurus know if they will come back? :sad:

Jim Hall
May 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
bun will get used d to it did i evermenton i think black cats areway cool ?

breeze
May 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM
great way to capture a picture of a black kitty !!!:thumbs up

that would be a great picture for the photo challenge :cloud9::lovestruck:

and silly Bunduk getting all camera shy.. doesn't he know that he is a very handsome kitty and we need pictures of him in the garden also??:cloud9::lovestruck:

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Yah, I know. I is handsome if I do say so myself.

Hey you, over there! Look at mah face- does this look like a happy kitteh???! Release me at once!! :frustrated:

Fine be useless:rolleyes: I'll wiggle out then you'll be sorry :evil: *Mid crazy acrobatics*

14+kitties
May 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Awww, beautiful pics!! :cloud9: Bunduk will get over being tied, I'm sure. Onnie is a sweetie beside those gorgeous flowers!! Wonderful.
The frost - was it a surface frost or a "killing" frost (really heavy). If it was surface the pansies "may" come back. Seeing as they were in a pot maybe not. You will just have to cross your fingers my dear.

breeze
May 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
O Bunduk it's for your own good :sad: so you won't get into so much trouble..

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Onster just doesn't want anything to happen to you..:grouphug:

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Grrrrr

It won't come off :yell::yell:

Ooooh a birdie!

Jim Hall
May 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
lol ohh a birdie!!!

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Inquisitively tapping the spout which came loose.

Taking a break. Pulling that cable is hard work.

Just chillin'

* Almost done*

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Nomnomnom

Watcha doin' there Onnie? (I took off the lead for a bit cuz he was pulling so hard I thought he was gonna choke himself).

Flowers? who needs to smell flowers? Bark is where it's at. :cloud9:

The end :D consider yourselves lucky, I was gonna take waaaay more but then saw loose doggy across the street and had to put kitties in and call HS after tryign to catch it to no avail :sad:

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
bun will get used d to it did i evermenton i think black cats areway cool ?

u probably did, but I dont remember. I think they are cool too :cloud9: I have to say before Onnie I wasnt a fan :o but he changed my tune.

great way to capture a picture of a black kitty !!!:thumbs up

that would be a great picture for the photo challenge :cloud9::lovestruck:

and silly Bunduk getting all camera shy.. doesn't he know that he is a very handsome kitty and we need pictures of him in the garden also??:cloud9::lovestruck:

4got about the photo challenge! Thanks breeze, I'll submit it :thumbs up Nice to get Onnie in..got bunduk in a few times.

Awww, beautiful pics!! :cloud9: Bunduk will get over being tied, I'm sure. Onnie is a sweetie beside those gorgeous flowers!! Wonderful.
The frost - was it a surface frost or a "killing" frost (really heavy). If it was surface the pansies "may" come back. Seeing as they were in a pot maybe not. You will just have to cross your fingers my dear.

*sniffles* I hope they will. I will give them a few more days then I'll replace them with something else.

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
lol ohh a birdie!!!

hahaha yeah...ptetty much. He will forgot about his arch nemesis the lead when something more interesting shows up :rolleyes:

14+kitties
May 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Love all the pics!! Bunduk will get used to the harness soon. I would put it on as tight as possible because knowing him, he would find a way out. TT likes to try to wriggle his way out of his too. :eek:
Great pics! Beautiful yard!!!

krdahmer
May 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
:laughing::laughing::laugh: .... so very 'cat' "oh a birdie" :laughing:

the pics are awesome such bright colours and the well the subjects are adorable as usual!

And is that a sandcherry tree Onnie is sniffing there... I'm jelous that is my very very favorite spring smell, sandcherry blossoms!

onster
May 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
A sandcherry tree! lol cool! I had no idea what it was. Previous owners planted it...or probably the contractors (our home was the model home on the street). I have never smelled the flowers Kr...maybe I'll give them a whiff now :D

Thanks 14+ - believe me that harness was on tight today! Thanks bout the yard...ours is like the uggliest one on the block :sad: All the neighbours have some pretty awesome landscaping. I still have trouble figuring out which ones are weeds :loser: hahaha. And yeah i really have no idea bout what the actual plants in the garden are called at all. Also dont know the proper way or when to trim things or make pretty shapes out of the bushes. I kinda just hack away lol.

I just planted some dahlia bulbs the other day (i bought a pack from costco cuz the flowers on the cover looked pretty). I thought they were tulip-y though...as in one bulb = one flower. Until I openned the pack :eek: Then read the planting instructions...how far to plant them apart. Oh boy. Now I realise based on their height I maybe didnt plant them in the best spots...ahh well.

onster
May 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
ooh ooh i have a question, now that Im talking bout gardening. Does anyone know, if you can get garden tools sharpened? We have a pair of shears that are blunt now...dunno where you would sharpen them, if you can?

Merci, thank you :D lol so many things to learn when becoming a full fledged canadian.

14+kitties
May 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Find a knife sharpening place (yellow pages) and they should sharpen the blades for you.
Dahlias in our climate have to be lifted in the fall. They won't survive the winter. :sad: But they are gorgeous. Let me guess. You bought the tall variety, didn't you? You may have to stake them if they get too tall.

kr- My sandcherry is in full bloom right now. It's beautiful!!

onster
May 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
BY stake them do you mean like put a trellis in? Sorry I know this is probably a really dumb question :o..I just didnt really learn this terminology before.

It says on the pack it will 40 inches tall..of course I only read that after I planted them :rolleyes:. Is that the tall variety?

Lifted in the fall eh? Didnt see anything bout that on the pack :o I think I have some reading to do..lol.

thanks for the info bout the sharpening :highfive:

14+kitties
May 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
40 inches is a rather tall dahlia. I have seen much taller though. They should be ok unless your garden soil is really really rich. That's when they tend to grow straggly and floppy.
Staking means just that. You put a stake behind the plant and then tie string around the plant and tie it to the stake to hold the plant upright.
The package probably won't say anything about lifting them in the fall. After all, they want you to buy more bulbs next year. When you lift them you can store them in a cool dry place in peat moss or between layers of newspaper. But it's way too soon to worry about that now. That can wait until fall. They should also have a good frost before they are lifted.
Soooo much to learn, huh?
And that is really off topic!

hazelrunpack
May 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
40 inches is just over a meter, onster. :D Pretty tall. You don't need a trellis--if you can find a dowel, that would work--and they sell plastic stakes...just long plastic spiky things that you can tie the plants to. If you don't mind the 'cage' look, you can use tomato cages (I have to use a dozen or more every year cuz the Pack doesn't remember about not going in the garden... :dog: The only thing saving the plants is the forest of tomato cages I put in there! :laughing:)

As for your pansies--just deadhead the flowers that have wilted, and if there are wilted leaves, cut that part of the plant off. Pansies are pretty frost resistant, though--mine wintered over last year, despite our cold winter! :eek:

hazelrunpack
May 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Man, you type fast, Geri!! :laughing: Took me four minutes longer than you! :o

14+kitties
May 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
40 inches is just over a meter, onster. :D Pretty tall. You don't need a trellis--if you can find a dowel, that would work--and they sell plastic stakes...just long plastic spiky things that you can tie the plants to. If you don't mind the 'cage' look, you can use tomato cages (I have to use a dozen or more every year cuz the Pack doesn't remember about not going in the garden... :dog: The only thing saving the plants is the forest of tomato cages I put in there! :laughing:)

Forgot the tomato cages. Was gonna mention them. :o

As for your pansies--just deadhead the flowers that have wilted, and if there are wilted leaves, cut that part of the plant off. Pansies are pretty frost resistant, though--mine wintered over last year, despite our cold winter! :eek:

Yep, true 'nough if they are in the garden. Onster's look like they were in a patio pot. If it was a hard frost then it may have been enough to hurt the roots. Sometimes they don't recover from that. :o

Man, you type fast, Geri!! :laughing: Took me four minutes longer than you! :o

Sorwy I's off to bed soon. Gotta work tomorrow. So you can type as slowly as you like hazel. :D

onster
May 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the info ladies :D I think I'll go with a stake rather than tomato cages (at least for the front yard).

14+ I dont know what the difference between a hard frost and a soft frost is :p Im assuming hard is more severe than the other lol. I just noticed my flowers were kinda dead one day and then someone told me their flowers they just planted died because of the frost. I said, "frost, what frost???" they said "last night there was a frost" I said "DANGIT"!

hahaha

luckypenny
May 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Yah, I know. I is handsome if I do say so myself.

Aww, that you are Onnie :cloud9: :lovestruck:!

Hey you, over there! Look at mah face- does this look like a happy kitteh???! Release me at once!! :frustrated:

:laughing: Bunduk is such a :clown: :lovestruck:.

chico2
May 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Onster BEAUTIFUL pics,kitties look so good in the grass:lovestruck:
I think the frontal pic ofOnnie is the best pic I've seen of him,beautiful black kitty :lovestruck:
Bunduk,well,I cannot look at his face without laughing,he has mischief written all over him:lovestruck:

As for Dahlias,I love them,but for some reason they always get destroyed by bugs,so I have given up on them,good luck with yours:thumbs up

Love4himies
May 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Before long Bunduk will get used to his harness and will be back to his old self, trying to find things to do that will drive Onster :crazy: :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
May 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Fine be useless:rolleyes: I'll wiggle out then you'll be sorry :evil: *Mid crazy acrobatics*

:laughing: Onnie's looking at Bunduk like he's :crazy:

Looks like it was a nice afternoon to have the boys out for a bit :cloud9:

Brandykins
May 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Aw Onster - what beautiful cats. I love the black one. Both have gorgeous coats. I do love cats:)

Great photos and love those flowers!

TeriM
May 20th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Onster, those are wonderful pictures of your boys :cloud9:.