Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bunduk & the Harness

onster
May 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Bought bunduk a harness the other day when I picked up their food at globals.

So far its ok-ish. He's kind of scared of the cable lead I attach to it and keeps trying to walk backwards (back out of it). He is much less active with it on but sometimes he does forget about it and move a bit/nibble on some grass/lie around while Ive been weeding in the front yard. Im hoping after a while he'll forget it's there.

I'm just wondering, how long does it take them to get used to it? He really hates the cable, im thinking maybe i should get one made of nylon/more lightweight? The lady working at globals suggested the cable because its more sturdy (u know those green kind with metal inside) but Im tempted to go with something lighter and with better flexibility.

Also, I have no idea how, but today in the backyard bunduk somehow got the harness off. The clasp wasnt undone though :confused::confused: One second he was walking about with the harness and the cable, the next I looked up and the harness was on the floor, intact, with the cable still attached :eek: I did notice that the cable was caught on something though...is it possible that it was just put on a bit too loose and then he was able to back out of it? I thought they can't back out of harnesses?? How much room should I leave? I left 2 fingers worth of wiggle room. I noticed that sometimes the center plastic part (which u attach the cable to) would shift a bit to the one side and I'd center it again...im guessing thats a sign it was a bit too loose?

I still stay with him and keep an eye on him when he has the harness on but I can still get some work done, weeding etc, as I have a few minutes to just work without freaking out where he's run off to.

breeze
May 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Bought bunduk a harness the other day when I picked up their food at globals.

So far its ok-ish. He's kind of scared of the cable lead I attach to it and keeps trying to walk backwards (back out of it). He is much less active with it on but sometimes he does forget about it and move a bit/nibble on some grass/lie around while Ive been weeding in the front yard. Im hoping after a while he'll forget it's there.

I'm just wondering, how long does it take them to get used to it? He really hates the cable, im thinking maybe i should get one made of nylon/more lightweight? The lady working at globals suggested the cable because its more sturdy (u know those green kind with metal inside) but Im tempted to go with something lighter and with better flexibility.

Also, I have no idea how, but today in the backyard bunduk somehow got the harness off. The clasp wasnt undone though :confused::confused: One second he was walking about with the harness and the cable, the next I looked up and the harness was on the floor, intact, with the cable still attached :eek: I did notice that the cable was caught on something though...is it possible that it was just put on a bit too loose and then he was able to back out of it? I thought they can't back out of harnesses?? How much room should I leave? I left 2 fingers worth of wiggle room. I noticed that sometimes the center plastic part (which u attach the cable to) would shift a bit to the one side and I'd center it again...im guessing thats a sign it was a bit too loose?

I still stay with him and keep an eye on him when he has the harness on but I can still get some work done, weeding etc, as I have a few minutes to just work without freaking out where he's run off to.

I don't know about a harness onster, but I would imagine it would be the same as a collar non?:confused:

I know when I put the carry bags on bree I had to make it tighter than what they suggested..

onster
May 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
thanks breeze. Im worried about making it too tight but I think as long as its still shifting to the left/right its not too tight. Its hard to tighten it up when its on him cuz he has soo much floof and he squirms too much :frustrated: There honestly isnt that much room, less room then what I leave with a collar;...but i will tighten.

I didnt think he could back out of a harness because it goes around the belly and the head. Guess he musta yanked real hard :eek:

breeze
May 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
thanks breeze. Im worried about making it too tight but I think as long as its still shifting to the left/right its not too tight. Its hard to tighten it up when its on him cuz he has soo much floof and he squirms too much :frustrated: There honestly isnt that much room, less room then what I leave with a collar;...but i will tighten.

I didnt think he could back out of a harness because it goes around the belly and the head. Guess he musta yanked real hard :eek:

or he could be an escape artist :D like houdini :D

TacoGrl
May 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Ummm...what do I say...Bunduk pretty much sums it up!

I would go with a softer lead...perhaps he is scared of the cable or he just doesn't want to be "under control" :shrug:

When I used to have Jaeger in a harness, I had to leave a mere finger space or she would wiggle out of it quicker than I could get the door open! You have to remember, cats have no bones and only need the smallest of space to do their escape act :frustrated:

As for getting used to it? I would let Jag wander around the house with it on for a good part of the day and then just hook her up when we were going out...when we first started, it only took a couple of hours before she got hungry, sucked it up quit the fussing and walked to her dish, then the litter box.

pattymac
May 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
i discovered with my first cat, he was a master harness slipper. I had to make it pretty snug or he could slip out fast. There was one I had that was kind of like the dog Lupi harness. I would also put it on and leave it on him for a while then before I actually took him outside then adjust it before going outside.

Jim Hall
May 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM
the lighter the lead the better i ended up with the thinnest nylon rope i could find you have to think different with cats its not like a dog where you can really controll them witht a harness or lead , but it aloows you time to stop them and get over to them.

i used to harenss sherbert wehn we went camping and i ended up fasiniting the lead to the bottom ( of the harnesss that is )

Love4himies
May 15th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I use a very light weight rope with my kitties, I think the cable will be annoying him too much.

All my cats are able to slip out of their harness when the rope gets attached to something and they move backwards.

JennieV
May 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
oy, Onster... :laughing:

sorry, not funny...but I just got a visual of what my cat was doing when I got the harness on him. Max would walk backwards, flip on his side, scratch with hind legs and eventually, no mater how tight, he would wiggle himself out. One time, he actually got himself stuck, because the harness was tighter and he couldn't wiggle out completely...:laughing: It just looked too funny. :laughing:

I know there are different types of harness too, maybe try to find a different design? Not sure what else to suggest. Yea, also, the cable could be a little too much for him. :shrug:

Good luck!

onster
May 15th, 2009, 09:24 AM
lol thanks guys, ill pick up a lighter one for sure :thumbs up

The harness/lead isnt fool proof so i will always be there, a couple feet from him but its more so that it gives me time to react to him etc. When he's not 'tied up' he quickly goes to the edges of the yard/fence and finds a gap :frustrated: Of course that would be behind the tree line so then I have to spend the next 30 minutes maybe catching a glimpse of his tail as he runs away from me :eek:

Anyone seen madagascar 2? You know how the lion cub gets tricked to go out of the reserve? that's pretty much bunduk, lol. He will spot a butterfly/bee then gleefully chase it to God knows where :rolleyes:

onster
May 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Oh and Onnie :evil::evil: loves 'catching' the green cable :laughing:

Bunduk wil be trying to move and then Onnie goes into full pounce mode and stops Bunduk in his tracks :rolleyes:

Jennie, I can imagine max hahahahaha. Bunduk doesnt seem to do the floor flop kicking about and writhing around like he has a giant octopus on his back outside (guess too many distracting things to see) but inside with the harness he does exactly that LOL

Chris21711
May 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I find it hard to believe Onster that you would post this with no pics :frustrated:

Love4himies
May 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Oh and Onnie :evil::evil: loves 'catching' the green cable :laughing:

Bunduk wil be trying to move and then Onnie goes into full pounce mode and stops Bunduk in his tracks :rolleyes:

Jennie, I can imagine max hahahahaha. Bunduk doesnt seem to do the floor flop kicking about and writhing around like he has a giant octopus on his back outside (guess too many distracting things to see) but inside with the harness he does exactly that LOL

:laughing::laughing::laughing: That is what Jasper does to Sweet Peas string.

krdahmer
May 15th, 2009, 01:25 PM
when I used to tie out my guys, I had the heavier cable too, it took them a while to get used to it but they did.... also the rule my vet tech said to use for the harnesses is to have them so you can just slide one finger underneath, anything looser and they can wiggle out, and tighter is too restrictive for them. And Bunduk is now a new toy for Onnie.... cat on a string!!! :laughing:

onster
May 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ack..was just out with the boys then had to go through a whole hullabaloo with a lost dog I saw across the street (saw dog with no owner running around). Didnt catch it though :sad:

Before that took photos of the boys though :thumbs up resizing now