Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd issue while walking on the leash....

jigga
May 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
My first post on this forum, I've been lurking around for a while now trying to learn as much as possible, and have to say that i have gleaned a lot of useful info from this website so far:thumbs up

I have a bit of an issue with my 7 year old Yorkshire Terrier, Mia. I've had her from 7 weeks of age, with no significant issues over the years. She is a "teacup", meaning that she is very small for her age, but that adds to her charm imo...:angel2:

I have noticed that that while out for walks, this girl tends to have a mind of her own sometimes.

Here is what she does:

We could be walking anywhere, and out of nowhere, she simply stops in her tracks and refuses to walk. Sometimes I might not know that she had stopped walking until I feel the tug on her leash when I walked far enough in front of her. If I pull gently on the leash to encourage her to walk, she simply pulls back, creating a tug of war effect.

This does not occur at any specific time during walks. It has even happened today in the middle of a busy intersection. While crossing a busy 4 lane road, she decided to park herself in the middle of the road, and just not walk any further.

I have observed this behavior even while out for walks in parks, and noticed that if I simply let go of her leash and continue walking, she suddenly gains the desire to walk again... Perhaps she realizes that if she's on her own if she keeps that up..

I am trying to figure out the best way to correct this behavior, as I do not want to resort to simply dragging her across the road, or whenever she decides that she no longer wishes to walk. When she does this in dangerous situations, i simply pick her up and carry her across the road. In other situations where there is no imminent danger, I simply stand stand there, waiting for her to decide to walk again.

Now, I do know that dogs love to sniff around, mark up territory and the like during walks, as it allows them to learn about their surroundings. I definitely allow for her to satisfy her curiosity, as she sniffs the base of lamp posts, fire hydrants, etc. during our daily walks.

What I cannot understand however is whether there is something that I am doing wrong that causes her to suddenly decide to stop walking, and secondly, how to effectively correct her behavior:frustrated:

:2cents: for your thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

jigga
May 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
EDIT: I did a bit of searching, and came across this thread, which appears to mirror what I am facing with Mia on our walks..I will try the suggestions out and report back:)
Snappy Dog Stops Walking (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62544)