Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Name help please!

naemsmommy
May 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone! We're getting a puppy next week, and are having a terrible time coming up with a name! He is a Pug/Cocker Spaniel X, I will try and post a pic of him. After days of scouring online pet name sites and reading every name book we could find, we settled on Tucker. We told the breeder, ordered personalized tags, the whole bit! Then a few days later realized that some friends have a dog named Tucker, don't know how we missed that! They are not super close friends, but close enough that we just don't feel right using their name.

So then we decided on Jax, which would have been cute because our cat is Max :) Although in retrospect, maybe that would have been confusing for them? Anyways, we remembered that my brother-in-law had a puppy named Jax a few years ago, he had a heart problem and had to be put down when he was just a few months old :(

We don't generally like names that are "people" names, although there are a few that we like, e.g. Sam (my brother-in-law's new puppy's name). We do like names that are not super common, but we also don't want to have to repeat it for people 10 times and then spell it out for them because it's SO different lol.

So, after all that, anyone have any suggestions???!!!

http://www.babyplanetboutique.com/images/puppy/Puppy1.jpg

http://www.babyplanetboutique.com/images/puppy/Puppy2.jpg

http://www.babyplanetboutique.com/images/puppy/Puppy3.jpg

TIA!
Danielle

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM
OMG what an adorable little guy!

Names are usually good to give once you get your dog or cat. Sometimes their personality will help you with naming him/her.

You can also think about maybe a theme. Like all my cats have Russian names. Mythological animals or gods. Flowers, seasons. I have a friend who loves Harry Potter and named a couple of her pets after the characters from the books.

Winston
May 13th, 2009, 06:35 PM
OMG how adorable!

I know I know !

Hooch!

Winston
May 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Turner?

Webster?

I know I am weird! sorry..:D

Kahne9Lover
May 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
He's sooo squeezably cute!:lovestruck:

Riley
Ryder
Parker
Cooper

Jim Hall
May 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
doorstop
looks like a bollard the thing on piers they tie boats to

look at those ears !!!

horsesinusa
May 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM
that is so cute how about!

Trigger.
tiger.
puff.
Dan.
den.
Skipper.
jack.
gettie-go.
jo-jo.
buck.
buff.
indy.
supper pup.
love bug.
Hubert.
Jerry.
Tim.
Mikey.
max.

hope this helps you out love the pup!

BrownEyedGirl
May 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
He's sooo squeezably cute!:lovestruck:

Riley
Ryder
Parker
Cooper

Cooper was the first name that popped into my mind!

He is SO cute.

naemsmommy
May 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone! I wrote all those down to show my hubby. Except a few, we have friends with a dog named Cooper, we liked that name too. And some other friends have a son named Riley, and our cat is named Max already :)

We just got new pics and he's already growing into that chubby body lol.

Feel free to keep posting ideas, this is great :D

Thanks!

EndOfFashion
May 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I love coming up with names, but I tend to prefer more unusual ones...so this is tough for me!

I like Chase or Chance.
My Pug's name is Milo, and that might suit him too :)
I also thought Ranger might be cute, or Scout! Now that I think about it, I really like Scout for a little guy :laughing:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll know for sure once you're holding him!

cpietra16
May 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM
OMG...what a sweetie...how about ....

Tanner I agree with the others; i always wait a couple of days so that i get to see his personality...it really will help in naming him

cpietra16
May 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM
the second pictures reminds me of Sir Elton John..

rainbow
May 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I like Scout as well :thumbs up or maybe Radar. :shrug:

And I have a dog named Chase that I almost named Chance. :D

I also think you need to have a short list and wait until you get him to see what suits his personality. He sure is a cutie. :lovestruck:

CarolynInPEI
May 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I've always wanted to have a dog named Chance (he was my favorite dog from Homeward Bound) but I have a first cousin named Chance (short for Chancey):sad:

My sister has a dog named Charlie (she's a girl tho) and one of my neighbors have a chocolate lab puppy (boy) called Charlie.

Duke is always a good name.

Harley is too.

Morgan, both of my grandmothers' had dogs named Morgan (one is a Cocker Spaniel, one was a Beagle).

Or Milo, or Joe......

I do agree that once you get to know him a little better and his personality starts to shine, you will have no problem coming up with a name!:thumbs up

CarolynInPEI
May 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I forgot.....I think that Gunner and Drake are really cute names too.

rainbow
May 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
1. Hogan
2. Webster
3. Melvin

Winston
May 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
:D Woohoo thats 2 for Webster! :thumbs up

rainbow
May 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
:D Woohoo thats 2 for Webster! :thumbs up

LOL ...sorry, I didn't see you had already posted Webster. :o

Winston would be a good name too. :D

breeze
May 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
how about

Gulliver

phoozles
May 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
How about Otis? Or Odie?

naemsmommy
May 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! You guys are awesome! At first we did really want to have his name picked in advance, but the more we think about it the more we realize you are all right, we need to see him to decide for sure. We have a tag that says Tucker already haha, so although it has the wrong name it at least has all our info. We were a little nervous because we'll be traveling to get him and bring him home, so we wanted him to have ID right away.

We are getting a good long list of potential names now, this is great!

Romeo's #1 Fan
May 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
OMG the cuteness - I have a pug/chihuahua cross and your little fella is just SO adorable. :lovestruck: When I saw my little guy (who will be a year old on Saturday), he stole my heart so "Romeo" was a no-brainer and it suits him so well to this day.

When I saw your cutey, I thought of two names - Pippin and Jinx. He's got a little air of mischief about him. :D

I wish you all the best, I had fun buying Romeo his birthday treats today, and I can't believe it has gone that fast. Enjoy!

Linda

Shaykeija
May 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
How about Dart... that mark on his chest looks like one in the 2nd picture

corky/max
May 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Total (dog is everything!) :D

lUvMyLaB<3
May 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
SOOOOooOOO CUTE!

Our first JRT we couldn't think of a name that fit for so long.. her name ended up being J.D.. for just dog..

I adopted what people call a 'designer' dog so I gave him a designer name, GUCCI.. so how about Louie???

jasper?
Chugs
spanky?
bailey?
HARLEY!!!

adammo
May 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
We named our family dog Cody. It suited him perfectly and I still think it's a great name.

I also like Sage, Trouble, and Hazard.

kiara
May 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
What a cutie-pie, he looks like a Chico or Milo to me.