Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor baby-Squirrels

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Well,the neighbors yesterday covered the whole lower part of the roof with chicken-wire and new tiles,the 3 young Squirrels are trapped:cry:
Mama Squirrel was trying desperately to get to her babies, and I could not help her,she is very heavy with milk and there is not a darn,frigging thing I can do about it,I am really upset and really tired of ..people.
I asked them to do it in the morning,the babies have been in my tree early morning,then they go back to the roof,but no,they just don't care.
End of rant,I've had it!!

diandpat
May 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
???? I am sorry...I have not been around for a bit and am not aware of this situation if it has been explained somewhere.

Are you saying these poor babies are separated from their Mum and unable to get food...in other words they are left there TO DIE????? :wall::wall::wall:

OMG there must be AC or SPCA to call and rescue them :cry::cry::cry:

Sickening :yell::yell::yell:

luckypenny
May 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm so sorry Chico :sad:.

14+kitties
May 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Idiots! I don't suppose HS will come out for that. Animals suffering? What is wrong with those stupid people? They let their cats breed willy nilly and have absolutely no concern for anything but their bottom line.... money! :wall::wall:
I am so so sorry chico that you have to live beside this jerks! :sad:

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
how awful!!!! Poor babies and poor momma!! That is sickening of these poeple

Love4himies
May 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Call the humane society, nobody is allowed to allow an animal to suffer and starving babies to death is cruelty.

Love4himies
May 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
PM Chris, she has a lot of knowledge about our SPCA laws in Ontario.

rainbow
May 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
How cruel can people be???? :yell: :sad: :wall:

I wish the humane society would do something.

BenMax
May 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I knew I should not have read this thread.:cry:

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Oy, I wish I hadn't looked either.

Aren't squirrels considered wildlife? Isn't it illegal to willingly cause them harm?

I can't believe they would just do that knowing those babies are there.:sad:

Melinda
May 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM
phone the minstry and the spca, they will be made to either reopen it or allow them to do it to rescue them, did you tell them the smell of dead animals will go all through their home?? They'll soon be tearing out walls to get it cleaned out, and don't put it past mama to chew through everything or make a new home....remember, they chew wires , wood and plaster

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Melinda,the mama was just here for peanuts,her face is scratched,probably from trying to get through the wire:cry:do you really think she can chew through it:confused:
I am just so darn upset,can't function.
I have contacted an agent with our HS,someone I know.
But I will call them first thing tomorrow morning.
Yesterday when the neighbors did this,I saw those little faces peeking out early in the morning,hoping they would get scared and run off the roof,once the banging started,but they probably huddled inside too frightened to move.
I am encouraged people here understand how up-setting this is:cry:

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Trapping laws and animal removal laws in the city in Ontario state that no animal is to be killed or left to die. Also they have to allow the mother to be with her babies

14+kitties
May 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
chico - have you contacted the landlord or was he one of the ones who did this? Maybe if he knows the damage that dead animals can cause to his rental he may come and open the roof. :shrug:
This is just flat out disgusting.
Have you contacted the Ministry yet? Maybe they will come out faster than HS.

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Good idea 14+ they might

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have talked to all of them next door,the landlord was there helping,he's Italian(maybe I should not say that:confused:)he could not care less about any animal.
What Ministry are you talking about? The MNR???
I am going to call our HS right now and see what they say,ok..

14+kitties
May 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have talked to all of them next door,the landlord was there helping,he's Italian(maybe I should not say that:confused:)he could not care less about any animal.
What Ministry are you talking about? The MNR???
I am going to call our HS right now and see what they say,ok..

No, it's ok. A lot of people don't care what happens to poor little innocents. :sad: Yes, the MNR. They will sometimes come out. If the landlord was there then he can be charged too I would imagine. :frustrated:
Good luck with HS chico. :fingerscr:pray:

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Well,HS is closed,only answer to emergencies cats/dogs,nobody would come out tonight anyway.
I have dealt with the MNR before,not good experiences:sad:
,I will call our HS first thing tomorrow morning,if they suggest calling the MNR,I will.
I think the babies will be ok over night,they are quiet big and I hope they make one heck of a racket tonight,so nobody can sleep a wink:evil:

14+kitties
May 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM
:fingerscr you are right. Poor sweeties. I hope someone comes out tomorrow.
:pray:

cpietra16
May 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Is there a wild life association that you can call...it is illegal to trap. I know that when my neighbour was trapping squirrels I called town security and they took away their traps...by the way, can you tell him that if the squirrels are trapped and die they will have flies, bugs maggots, a terrible smell from the bodies...I'm sure he doesn;t want that

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
In Ontario it is not illegal to use humain traps to remove a animal from your home. My BIL does it in TO. But there are certain laws that HAVE to be followed or you lose your licence plus fines or jail time. One of them is you cannot separate mothers from babies.

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I agree with cpietra--tell the tenant that if they die in there, they'll attract maggots and flies and stink for weeks. Then tell them that if they pull up the screening and allow Mom to move the babies, they can reattach it after they're gone and be safe from a recurrence. It's worth a shot, chico! :fingerscr

:grouphug:

Melinda
May 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
if there is a way into the home the mom will find it or create one, in ottawa my sons landlord was forever reshingling the roof and patching the tin aluminum eaves, when squirrels want in they usually make it. HS SHOULD be able to help you. what the hell kind of neighbours do you have???

Golden Girls
May 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I knew I should not have read this thread.:cry:Me too :sad: Hope HS can do something :fingerscr

chico2
May 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
All I want is for them to open up a little so the babies(almost grown)can get out to mom,then close it again.
I don't think she can get through the chicken-wire,I know she tried.
Then she was laying on the roof with her face under the tile she managed to lift:cry:she has a wound on her face.

Melinda,they are not un-friendly people,just do not think the way I do about cats etc...we've talked to them several times,I also told them several times not to trap the babies in the roof:evil:they have to get out.
After I call HS,I will go over to them and tell them I called,even if I don't get any help from HS,maybe that will scare them enough to do something,we'll see.

aslan
May 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Man some people just have no heart. Is it time for me to sneak over with the wiresnips in the middle of the night.

cpietra16
May 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Aslan...I;ve got your back. I will give you an alibi....I invited you to stay at my place so that you can renovate something....:D

chico2
May 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Aslan,excellent plan:laughing:
I always seem to get myself in to these situations:evil:
I'll let you know what happens!

aslan
May 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
You're a good woman cpietra but i'd just send the wife over to talk to them. I figure by the time they figure out what she said, they'll have forgotten what they were mad at.

Chico2 just let me know(seriously) oh and leave the door open so i have somewhere to run.....

Melinda
May 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.rodentstrobe.com/SquirrelFacts.cfm this is why squirrels should NOT be trapped in your attic.....the smell is horrific....print that out for them chico, its in their best interest to open it up

Love4himies
May 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM
And you stopped in here for a visit on your way to cpietras! :laughing: so that is two alibies.

snicker, snicker, Aslan, go get them! Do you think DW can talk them into spaying their kitties while she is at it?

Chris21711
May 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
How heartbreaking Chico, if it is not one thing, it is another....:frustrated:

The momma squiggie should be able to chew through the chicken wire, they chewed through my aluminum eavestroughing, so if she is as determined as most squirrels she should be able to make a hole big enough for the babies to get free, they really don't need that big of a space to squeeze through.

The Ministry of No Response will do absolutely nothing, as per usual :rolleyes:

As far as your HS, this is not something that they are mandated to deal with. Normally a Wildlife Removel Company would deal with it.

You may want to point out to your neighbours landlord that squirrels before their eventual demise through starvation, will do all kinds of damage trying to find a way out.

diandpat
May 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Man some people just have no heart. Is it time for me to sneak over with the wiresnips in the middle of the night.

That's my vote. This whole situation is ridiculous.

How can you let babies or any animal starve to death knowingly????

Hope you get some good news today Chico and Bless You for trying to look out for these poor souls! :thumbs up

chico2
May 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Thank's Melinda,I printed it out for them,I'm just waiting for HS to call back,then I'll go over.
The poor mom was here by the feeders earlier.:cry:.

Melinda
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
chico, tell them if they undo it the mama will probably have them moved with in 24 hours, loud music piped into the attic/roof will also driver her away

chico2
May 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Thank's again Melinda,I want nothing more:grouphug:
The HS was here,she came just in time to see mama Squirrel hanging over the tiles she had lifted.
She had her tummy pressed close to the wire,probably suckling the babies through the chicken-wire.
The agent,a very nice girl,said this is definitely animal-cruelty and will be dealt with.
The neighbor was not home,but a note was left on their door to call,hopefully they will and as soon as they get home:fingerscr
Did I tell you,the Oakville Humane Society rocks.:thumbs up

diandpat
May 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Way to go Chico for getting the job done. So many just sit and watch. Bless you for caring...it will be the difference between life and death.

The image of the Mum pressed up against the wire just about breaks my heart. Hope they are all reunited soon :goodvibes:

cpietra16
May 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
omg...I AM SO THRILLED TO HEAR THAT SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.....PLEASE KEEP US POSTED. FROM ONE ITALIAN TO ANOTHER TELL HIM THAT I AM NOT IMPRESSED.....HE'S BEING AN A**HOLE. I HOPE HE GETS FINED!!

rainbow
May 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
WOOO HOOO Chico :highfive: ....thank you so much for your persistance and getting HS to come out and help the poor squirrels. :angel: :grouphug:

Melinda
May 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
oh chico, you are wonderful!!!!! way to go girl!!

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Poor mommy squirrel. I hope your neighbors get home and take those tiles and wire off. :pray:

chico2
May 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
cpietra,the owner of the house is Italian,not the renters:laughing:
Some good news,I think:fingerscrthe man(renter)came to my house,I talked to him,almost had him in tears.
He did not realize the babies were still in there,they'd heard no noise.
When I told him the mom had been there all day trying to get in to her babies,he was visibly upset.
So he was going to call the HS agent and then those little babies will be free:thumbs up
:pray:they are still ok:pray:
I told him about the loud music and light and he'll do anything he can to get them out safely:thumbs up
I feel so relieved,a big weight off my shoulders,they've been there since tuesday,they just have to be ok:fingerscr:fingerscr

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Oh Chico, I hope they are still okay.

rainbow
May 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
It was nice of him to come over and tell you that he is finally going to do something .....too bad it took a note on the door from HS before he decided to be co-operative.

I really hope the baby squirrels are still okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
May 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Me too,too see mama watching over her babies from the outside was truly heartbreaking:cry:
The 3 babies already have their bushy tails and are a good size,I'll have to wait and see:fingerscr

krdahmer
May 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
oh those poor babies!!!! :sad: I had to cover up a hole in our roof this spring to keep the squirrels out of our attic too, but I had my dad come over and go up there first to make sure they hadn't had the babies up there yet... BEFORE we close the hole! I hope they called the HS and the babies get out alright! :goodvibes::pray:

Mat&Murph
May 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Ohh I am sooo glad to hear the babies are going to be with their mom. Awsome news!!!

hazelrunpack
May 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Did they get them out, chico? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

We had a soon-to-be-mama red squirrel try to take up residence in the shed...surrounded by the Pack's play area :rolleyes: Luckily we caught her just building her nest and were able to evict her the same day--if she'd tried to raise babies there, the Pack would have driven her to distraction and probably gotten the babies when they left the nest :eek:

rainbow
May 15th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Hoping to hear good news in the morning. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
May 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM
:pray::pray::pray: That the babies and momma have been reunited.

chico2
May 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
THEY ARE OUT!:thumbs upThe very persistant HS-girl was here again at 7am to talk to them(the neighbor).
After he left my house yesterday,he had opened up the roof and one little one ran out.
Then this morning with HS being here,he checked the live trap in the attic and there were 2 more babies,they ran straight for my big tree:thumbs up
You have no idea how relieved I am,they are not tiny babies,I am sure they will be ok.:highfive:
They are having a feast right now,eating birdseeds..
A huge :thankyou:to you guys for understanding my panic and a big:grouphug:to "my"HS officer:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
May 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yipeeeee!!!! I'm so happy this turned out well. Thanks chico2, for looking out for these little guys. :highfive:

Love4himies
May 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up I am so glad.

ancientgirl
May 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM
What great news to hear! I'm so glad they got out and are now safe.

Kudos to you Chico, for your persistence and caring.

Golden Girls
May 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
WTG Chico :highfive: So impressed with your HS!

Can't imagine, if we tried making this kind of complaint we'd be in a straight-jacket padded room :frustrated:

... I'm moving to OakVille :thumbs up

cpietra16
May 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'm with you GG...I'm already packing....:D

cpietra16
May 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I hope they left him a lot of poop and pee in the attic....his wood deserves to rot now!!!!:loser:

Melinda
May 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
oh that is wonderful wonderful, the babies should be between 3 and 6 weeks old by now, (first spring batch) are they reunited with mom??? do you have water out for them chico in case mom doesn't arrive this morning?

Chris21711
May 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Great news Chico :thumbs up. I was talking to Ethel about it this morning and she said that it was illegal what had been done, they could have been charged under three different acts. So great to hear that it did not come to that.

You are an angel for caring Chico :angel:

hazelrunpack
May 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
:highfive: :goodvibes: :thumbs up

Yay!!! Good job, chico!!! :grouphug:

Mat&Murph
May 15th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I am sooooo happy to hear that they are out and with mom!!!!! That just made my weekend!!!

Sara1585
May 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The Humane Society should attend....animals in immediate distress.

krdahmer
May 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
well that is just awesome!!! and I too wish we had an HS so attentive! :thumbs up hope those babies get big and strong now... so they can sit in the tree and tease those big bruisers of yours!!! :laughing:

14+kitties
May 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yay!!!!!! I am sooooo glad the babies are out~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made my day for sure!!! Well, that and being back on line. :rolleyes:
chico - You are an amazing lady for being so persistant and caring!!! :grouphug:

chico2
May 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Thank's everyone,here is a very happy momma-squirrel,saying thank's to everyone too:laughing:I'll try to get the babies tomorrow.
You can see the little wound above her nose,from trying to get to her nest.

It's the owner who insisted on putting chicken-wire all around the roof,although the babies were not out,the renter says he would never hurt an animal and he's not mad at me for asking HS for help.
The couple who owns the 3 female in-tact cats have moved to their own house,phew!!

onster
May 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Chico - I just wanted to say that you are amazing!!!

rainbow
May 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I'm so glad the baby squirrels are okay and re-united with their mom. :thumbs up

And, WOOOO HOOOO for the couple with the cats getting another place to live. :highfive:

You must be sooooo happy right now. :cloud9: :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
May 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
lol 66 postson a coupleof squirells you folks are amazing

chico2
May 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Jim,yes they are and it was one momma and 3 babies:laughing:
Big or small,they are all important and if we can change a bad situation we should,right Jim;)

Chris21711
May 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
You got that right Chico :thumbs up

chico2
May 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
About our Oakville HS,it is a great place,or as great as any shelter can be,the staff is wonderful,especially the young lady who helped me out with a trap for the stray cat and now the Squirrels.
They cover a huge area,not only Oakville.
It is a sad place,too many animals needing homes,but no animal gets killed,just because there are too many.
In normal circumstances if you have a wild critter in your roof,you have to call Wild Life people,at a great cost,but this was a case of animal-cruelty and I am very glad I got help.

dmc123
May 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
chico2, thank you for doing all that you did to get those babies out of there! I was so glad when I checked this thread today, to hear they were out! Yippee!!

Diane

Love4himies
May 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Oh chico :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:. I am so happy.

chico2
May 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I am watching 2 of the babies right now,I don't know where the third one is,maybe with mom.
I am going to go and put a suet-cake out and some peanuts,hopefully I'll be able to get a pic of the little guys.
But they are FREE at last and I am sure they'll survive.
A happy ending to this chapter:thumbs up

luckypenny
May 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Chico2, you're my hero :o.

:2huggers:

Melinda
May 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
did you know you can buy squirrel kibble? purina makes it, I use it after the orphaned babies are weaned and I also put some outside the end of may to help the moms out

chico2
May 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Melinda,I don't think Hubby would go for that,I already buy huge bags of good birdseeds,peanuts in the shell,suet,big bags of corn,also I bought a jar of peanut-butter although we do not eat the stuff.
I would have to make hubby look for a job,maybe a greeter at Wal-Mart,he would draw a good female crowd:laughing:

I managed to take a pic of one of the babies,who was brave enough to come and get a peanut on my deck.
This one and another are about the same size,then there is one a little smaller.
I have not seen mom today,no,I am not going to worry:laughing:

NoahGrey
May 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Cute pictures.

ACO22

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Oh, wow, chico! I was thinking they were red squirrels! It's the red squirrels around here that tend to like attics and eaves...the gray squirrels and fox squirrels are mostly tree nesters here. :shrug:

Cute baby!! :lovestruck: He sits up so pretty! :D

ancientgirl
May 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Aww, what precious little babies.

Dee-O-Gee
May 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Ah what a relief Chico--so happy to hear that momma and her kits are all safe.

The pictures are great and it just goes to show that a little perseverance can go a long way. :)

Way to go--Chico2 :thumbs up

chico2
May 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I was watching all 3 this morning,the teeny one is adorable,wish I had a camera with a better Zoom:sad:
Mom is ok too,wound all healed,s,all's good!

Hazel,I have only ever seen one red Squirrel around here,I saw tons when we were in Nova Scotia,cute little guys..

NoahGrey
May 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I saw a red squrriel, while I was on my way to a call the other day. He was gorgous and unique looking. He was a dark red and his tail was a tawny colour with some brown highlights in it *lol*. I was like damnit I forgot my camera....again.

ACO22

chico2
May 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM
ACO,I have a pic somewhere,I'll look,we have one Red Squirrel that seems to come around every summer,probably not the same one,but are they ever cute and quick:lovestruck:

Love4himies
May 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Awww, chico, I am so glad they are back together and no harm done. :lovestruck:. Thank goodness you were there to save them :grouphug:

chico2
May 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
L4H,yes,it was a great relief to see them alive and well,I had good help from our HS though.
They are here every morning,then they go away somewhere,they are just so cute,I am so very happy they did not die up there:thumbs up

the gang
May 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
good job!! :thumbs up! squirl angel, brenda and the pins

NoahGrey
May 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I would love to see the picture of the red squirrel Chico2. Also cute picutres of the babies. They sure do look happy;0)

ACO22

chico2
May 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
ACO,the 2 I posted with the corn are of the Red Squirrel,not good pics,you can't really see the color that good.
He was so much smaller than a regular Grey Squirrel.

BenMax
May 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Chico2 - you have made this a better world! Thank you for being persistant and pro-active. Kudos to the young lady with HS! Wow. I'm with GG - I am ready to pack!

Hugs to you my dear friend - you a WONDERFUL!:grouphug:

chico2
May 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
BenMax thank's,but you are giving me too much credit,I just have a"thing"for all critters:laughing:
After all,they don't understand that living in someones roof is not a good thing and this time they were lucky:thumbs up
The girl from HS helped very much in talking to my neighbor,I talked to him too,but he was more likely to do what HS tells him to do and she came here twice to check:thumbs up
You are all welcome to move to Oakville,lots of houses for sale and rent,but who would take care of the unfortunate animals in Quebec:grouphug:

BenMax
May 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Chico2 - I would love to move and be your neighbour..it would be an honour.
As for the animals in Quebec.....well I will continue to fight for them and do what I can to get them to safety.....to your province.:):thumbs up:D

Jim Hall
May 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
yeahhh peanuts!!!! sq's are greta had one that used to sit by dad on the table by the pool eating sunflowers seeds

chico2
May 18th, 2009, 05:37 PM
BenMax,as long as they are not poor PitBulls,they are safe here,but not everywhere in Ontario.
I think our Humane Society is exeptional:thumbs up

BenMax
May 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
BenMax,as long as they are not poor PitBulls,they are safe here,but not everywhere in Ontario.
I think our Humane Society is exeptional:thumbs up

Funny you should mention that - I am pulling pitties and Amstaffs out of Ontario and sending Ontario some other breeds in return. Good trade off don't you think?

Your HS sounds wonderful! I wish ours had the same b@lls.

chico2
May 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Now,who is the angel:confused:I could not think of a better cause than rescuing Staffies and other pittie-like pups from evil Ontario:grouphug:
I think I am too old to use this expression,but anyway"you rock BenMax".

kandy
May 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I am sooooo glad this had a happy ending! I was really wondering if I should continue reading the thread there for a while!

We have tons of red squirrels in our town, and a whole family of them live in a tree in my yard that has been dead for years. My MIL, who owns the house I live in, hired a tree guy to come in and trim trees. When he came to do the estimate, and my husband was showing him which trees needed trimming - the guy asked about cutting down the dead tree. My husband told him that would be a very bad idea and he might find his chainsaw permanently relocated to a very painful location when I found out about it. My husband sometimes thinks I'm a little on the weird side - but at least he realizes that it's just safer to go along with me. LOL

lUvMyLaB<3
May 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
*aww* what cuties! Chico u are awesome!! We have ooooodles of red squirrels.. it is rare to see theose giant grey ones, but they are around too, the red ones like pinecones.. It is true! Green pinecones before they open up and turn brown they eat the seeds out, their fave! They also apparently like to eat bbq covers, and store pinecones in my car engine, but they are still cute none the less!

chico2
May 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Kandy,LML,we have 99% Grey Squirrels,the ones rescued were not Red Squirrels.
The pic is one of a Red one from a few years back.
The Baby-Greys are soo cute,smart little monkeys...I put the peanuts in a box,so the Black-Birds and Blue-Jays don't get them all and the babies crawl very carefully into the box to get one:lovestruck:

Kandy I can relate to the tree-cutting,when Fates owner wanted to cut down his cedar-hedge,I knew it was a condo for birds,I asked him to wait and he did:thumbs up

ian_sue
May 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Just reading the story of Chico's rescue of the squirrels. Very impressive, indeed. Kudos to you for being persistent!!
I have been rehabbing a baby red squirrel for over two weeks now.
I'm in NB
It fell from a nest in the eave of my daughter's baby barn on a Sunday, over two weeks ago. The nest was in the insulation in the roof of the shed.
We placed it back in the eave after about 5 hours of watching to see if Mom would come for it. We heard the rustle in the roof & thought she had retrieved it. Perhaps she did but on Tuesday night, my daughter came over with a severely dehydrated, cold baby that was in it's last minutes of life. It had no life except a leg that would twitch every now & then.
We still don't know if it was the same baby as Sunday or another.
I warmed him up in my hands & gave him a bit of warm pedialyte in a small syringe.
He came to life but was weak.
I fed him every few hours & started him on Esbilac puppy milk the next day.
His eyes opened & he was feeding very well. (I have lots of experience feeding orphaned puppies, kittens, etc over the years but this was the 1st squirrel.)
My daughter found a dead baby the following day in the same spot.
I called the only wildlife rehabber & they said they would take him if I wanted, but I could care for him if I'd like also. She said I could keep him with a permit if I decided to keep him.
I realize if they are raised alone that they are hard to release.
Well, Mr. Squiggly has grown up so fast. He has gone from a scrawny pup to a bright eyed, not so busy tailed-yet cutie.
I have a huge flight cage that I built a wild kingdom in for him & he is learning to climb & jump.
He gets offerings of everything imaginable to eat, including apple trees, buds, acorns, & loves to nibble on fir boughs
His favorite food thus far is banana, but he is learning to chew on cashews & almonds if i hold them for him.
I live in the city but we are in a well treed, quiet area....bad thing is...lots of cats are around.
We have parrots & a secure bird proof room (porcelain heated floors & partial walls) if he needed to stay.
I am thinking of keeping the little gaffer as a pet in case he can't make it alone. I don't know if it would be a mistake as I know the damage they can do, but a huge cage & supervised play time out in the bird safe room might not be bad????
Comments would be good...lol
What does everyone think? I love Mr. Squiggles & want the best for him.

ian_sue
May 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Wow...didn't realize how BIG my pics were!!
I just noticed my little one was peeing in the picture lol AND I didn't realize how badly I needed a manicure!!! LMAO.:D:D:D

chico2
May 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
ian-sue,OMG he's cute,thank you for saving him,every little life is precious:thumbs up
My friend from a few yrs back,left her Squirrel lose in the house when she was home,then slowly introduced him to the outdoors.
I really believe a Squirrel nursed by humans can make it out there on their own eventually,to do what Squirrlies do.
I can understand the attachment though and the worry,bad things happen to Squirrels all the time:sad:

As for "my"Squirrels,the renter of the house,never bothered to close up the hole again and now we've seen a female Squirrel with building material in her mouth go in there,more babies:confused::yell:
The man is a nice man,says the noise doesn't bother him,the owner might think otherwise:yell:they can be very destructive..

Melinda
May 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I can't believe a rescue suggested keeping him, if I have a single orphan I usually call the rescue to get a litter mate roughly around the same age so they can be released, but at times I have released singles, it takes a while longer and a lot of heartache the first night they don't return, but in my opinion a wild animal belongs in the wild, can you call the rescue back and allow them to finish the rehab? The best place for you to release him back into the wild would be near the barn that he was found, the smells would be familiar with him and instinct will guide him to a nesting spot.

chico2
May 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Melinda,my friend when the Squirrel was big enough,let him go outside and explore her backyard,but always came back until one day he did not,my friend was sad,but the Squirrel was perfectly capable at integrating in to the life he was supposed to live.

ian_sue
May 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
The baby barn is in my daughter's back yard...we are in the city & there are tons of cats in & around our yards, so I am afraid that one might get him...actually my daughter's boxer was the one that found him the 2nd time & had him in her mouth!! Luckily, she did not bite him, thank goodness.
I will call the rescue again & probably let him go there....
They have a large wildlife reserve that I imagine is quite safe...I know it is the best for him in the long run.....(sniff) :cry2:

ian_sue
May 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Plus...the baby barn/ shed that they were nesting in has motorbikes/ dirt bikes & gas fumes galore in it....they were in the insulation in the roof...poor little things.:sick:

chico2
May 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
ian_sue,are you going to keep him for as long as he needs to be fed??
If not,hopefully they will treat him as the baby he is and feed him.
I can see how you have fallen in love with this little boy,I certainly would,he is adorable:lovestruck:
Take comfort in knowing,you saved his life:grouphug:

ian_sue
May 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, I will keep him until he is weaned & eating well on his own...He is a boy actualy....Mr. Squiggles...(hubby named him...lol)

smithduke
May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I just read this post for the first time. Way to go Chico!!!! :thumbs up:thumbs up You saved some very special lives!!! What a great mommy squirrel! :lovestruck:

chico2
May 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Thank's,but I did not do much,now I get the pleasure of seeing these little guys at my feeders every day,they are really cute:lovestruck:
Momma is keeping an eye on them.
Unfortunately they are back in the roof,but the young man who rents the house does not care,so the Squirrels are going in and out freely.they are not going to be trapped anymore.