Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I disinfect?

TacoGrl
May 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
If I was to buy a used cat tree, what would the best way be to disinfect it? I have heard through the infamous grapevine :rolleyes: that there is a disease that some cats get that can't be gotten rid of after they pass and you shouldn't have another cat around or use their toys for a couple of years, is this true?

Forgive my ignorance...I tried searching, but :wall: :o

Winston
May 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Maybe you could shampoo any carpeting on it and repaint any of the wood area? then its almost new? I havent heard of anything other than fleas that you could catch?

cell
May 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
you could spray/soak it with dilute bleach water and then dry it outside

TacoGrl
May 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I havent heard of anything other than fleas that you could catch?

Not only that I could catch, I am thinking if it has something on it that my two furries could catch...I wish I could remember the name of the disease...

EDIT (I was beginning to think I was going :crazy:): Feline Panleukopenia

" Infection occurs when cats come in contact with the blood, urine, stool, nasal secretions, or even the fleas from infected cats. A cat can also become infected without ever coming in direct contact with an infected cat. Bedding, cages, food dishes and the hands or clothing of people who handle the infected cat may harbor the virus and transmit it to other cats. It is, therefore, very important to isolate infected cats. Any materials used on or for infected cats should not be used or allowed to come in contact with other cats, and people handling infected cats should practice proper hygiene to prevent spreading the infection.

The virus that causes FP is difficult to destroy and resistant to many disinfectants. At room temperatures, virus present in a cats' environment can still infect other cats for up to one year. Ideally, unvaccinated cats should not be allowed into an area where an infected cat has been — even if the area has been disinfected."

BMDLuver
May 13th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Find a feed mill near you and ask them for a packet of virkon. Then take a tbsp of virkon and put in a dollar store spray bottle. Fill to top with warm water and spray the tree all over. The virkon should look about hubba bubba bubblegum color if you have mixed enough in. Mixed virkon is only good for 3 days max so discard what you don't use and seal the pkg and put in cool dry place if needed again.

sugarcatmom
May 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Since your cats are vaccinated, you really don't have anything to worry about. The panleukopenia vaccine is very effective. I'd be much more concerned with the toxic effects of whatever disinfectanct you were to use.

TacoGrl
May 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Since your cats are vaccinated, you really don't have anything to worry about. The panleukopenia vaccine is very effective. I'd be much more concerned with the toxic effects of whatever disinfectanct you were to use.

I didn't see that name listed on the vacinations sheet, but found out from my vet it is included...thx SCM :)