Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

King puts everything in his mouth

King
May 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM
How do I get King to stop chewing on everything, he has his toys which he chews on but he feels the need for everything else as well from shoes to different things he finds on the floor. I try to pick things up off the floor so he can't get it but he still manages to get them. I try to take it away but he is so fast and small he goes under things that I can't reach him mostly under the bed have to use something on one side and my son has to be ready on the other side. I take it away and say no and show him what he is suppose to have. Am I doing something wrong?

Lukka'sma
May 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Have you taught the leave it command. It comes in handy for when you drop a pill or something like that on the floor, it would be worth a try

Tommysmom
May 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
We used to 'trade' with Tommy to teach him to leave things... find an irresistible treat or toy and give it to him the instant he drops the item you don't want him to have (even if he just drops it for a second to get a better grip, LOL). It worked for us because he learned that he got something super fantastic every time we asked him to leave something else alone.

King
May 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I am trying the leave it command and I do trade off, I guess it is something that will have to really really work hard on.

luckypenny
May 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Leave it, drop it, and trading up is what works for us. Best scenario though, is to ensure that there's nothing left within reach of your dog. Just like when our kids were toddlers, anything they could get hurt with, or damage, we simply secured away or stored until they were older.

Dog Dancer
May 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
If your dog is food motivated "leave it" is fairly easy to teach. Get some really tasty treats that he LOVES and break them up really tiny. When he picks something up that he shouldn't wave the treat right in front of his nose and say leave it. When he drops the bad item he gets the great treat. My girl was picking up cigarette butts just to get the treats! (Not our butts, but off the road) Eventually as leave it became a common reaction the treats were weaned off to great praising. To this day she will spit out anything if you tell her leave it, including bones and food. But you have to work at it constantly to make it work. Oh and don't chase him because then you'll make it a game.

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
When you find the answer please let me know. My Eskimo is now 5 and has the same problem. Add to that the fact that whatever he has in his mouth is as tempting as whatever superior offering I might have to trade - or he will grab the "trade" and sit there with a bulging mouth. He knows the leave it etc. commands, he just chooses to ignore them - although from time to time he will drop something just to keep us on our toes. He won't bite me though -nothing like having fingers behind the super big canines of a 22 lb. Eskie. He loves everything inside and out and gets upset when he can't "help" people do their gardening or the garbage collectors do their jobs. I keep everything out of reash as best I can, but the Eskimo is a very smart dog, with long legs and paws like little hands. Of course, if he has an audience of certain people he will behave like an angel and drop the awful thing he has picked up and do a mini beg and look ever so hard done by.

King
May 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I learned not to chase I sat down on the couch because he liked to be chased to get his harnis on for a walk so I waited for him to come to me when he was in front of me I went to grab him but he was faster and ran off I kept going smashing my fingers into the frame of another couch putting a hairline fracture on my ring finger, that was two months ago and it still not healed and bent and swollen now they are saying a bone infection and skin and bone infection whatever that one is? So now I won't but I will try to get what he has that he shouldn't with something in trade.......