Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lethargic 14yr old female pug

psywzrd
May 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I took my 14yr old pug to the vet a couple of days ago because she has been a bit lethargic and sensitive to the touch around her left ear. After the vet examined her it was determined that she has an ear infection, an eye infection and a mouth infection. We were given different antibiotic drops for both her ear and her eye as well as an oral antibiotic that I assume will help all 3 infections. Her appetite has been fine throughout and she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any other symptoms; however, seeing her like this is disconcerting to say the least. The vet didn't seem too concerned and just told me to bring my dog back for a follow-up in a couple of weeks or so. Does it sound normal that my dog would be so lethargic from these infections? The vet did say that it's possible my dog could have a ruptured ear drum but the ear was too swollen to be able to see down there (thus one of the reasons for the follow-up visit). Should I be concerned that this could be something more serious?

hazelrunpack
May 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Any infection can cause a dog to be more lethargic than usual, but definitely watch for a worsening of her symptoms. With luck, the antibiotics will help get her back on track :goodvibes:

kandy
May 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It is normal for the dog to be lethargic - her body is busy fighting the infections.

Are the infections all on the left side? Once the infections are under control, you may want to have your vet check her teeth. An untreated infected tooth can spread that infection.

I hope she feels better soon!

psywzrd
May 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately this story doesn't have a happy ending. My pug stopped eating yesterday and her lethargy worsened. We took her to the vet first thing this morning and they ran some tests (including x-rays) that seemed to indicate an enlarged spleen and some anemia; however, the only way to know for sure if there was something else going on was to do exploratory surgery. It wasn't an easy decision because of her age, but we love our dog and we had to at least give it a shot since the spleen is not a vital organ. Once they opened her up they discovered that what looked like an enlarged spleen on the x-ray was actually a cancerous liver that had grown out of control. At that point there was really no decision to be made as it turns out both the liver and spleen were cancerous and the cancer had likely spread throughout her body. Even if she had somehow made it out of surgery with the spleen removed, she would have had no chance at surviving any length of time with her liver in that condition. My heart is absolutely broken but I take comfort in knowing that we did everything we could to try to save her life. What kills me is that she really didn't exhibit any alarming symptoms until the last 24 hours when her appetite went away and her lethargy worsened (most likely due to the anemia). She literally had an amazing appetite right up until the last 24 hours of her precious life and she hadn't lost any weight at all. I pray that someone will discover a cure for cancer in our lifetime because I've lost way too many people (and now my dog) to this insidious disease.

She was truly a gift from God and I'm so thankful for the time we had with her from the time she was a puppy until now. I will never forget about her and the joy she brought to me and my family. Rest In Peace - we'll see you in Heaven.

diandpat
May 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
:cry::cry::cry: so very sad

I am so sorry for your loss

RIP sweet girl and now run pain free at the Bridge :angel:

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, psywzrd :grouphug: It's just heartbreaking when we lose our little ones...especially when we don't have much warning that there's anything wrong. It's hard to lose them so suddenly, but we always focus on the fact that it means their quality of life was good till the end...

You gave her a great life, full of love. That's definitely something to treasure. And it's that bond of love that will reunite you in the end. :grouphug:

:candle:

pbpatti
May 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, she is over the rainbow bridge running and chasing, playing and eating everything she likes. :rip: little one. pbp

psywzrd
May 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Thank you to all for your kind words. My family and I are absolutely devastated right now but I know we'll all get better in time. As much love as we gave our dog, she gave it right back to us and that makes it hurt even more now that she's gone. It's so hard to lose something you love so much, but unfortunately we all go through it at some point. My only advice to everyone here is to try to enjoy every moment you have with your pets while they're around because once they're gone, all you have is memories of those moments and that's what stays with you for a lifetime.

Romeo's #1 Fan
May 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your girl ~ what was her name? :cry: I have such affection for pugs. My son lost his pug last July 23rd at the tender age of 7 months two weeks after I got my mixed pug/chi and there isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him. His name was Logan. :lovestruck: I think we keep them precious that way, I'm sure you will do the same. I can imagine what you are going through after 14 years. I wish you the very best.

Linda

muggsmom
May 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Dogs have the amazing ability to hide illnesses for a very long time. My SIL lost her Golden, Mojo, in Dec./07. He was the same as your little one, a little lethargic but otherwise seemed fine until the day before he died of cancer.

Take comfort in your memories and the knowledge that you did everything possible for your girl.

:rip:little one

kandy
May 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

:rip: You'll be forever young on that side of the bridge.

psywzrd
May 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Once again, thank you to all for your concern. I figured I'd post a picture of her so you guys could connect a face with the story. Here's Whitney - I miss her so much:rip:.

kandy
May 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Awww - lookit that sweet face! I love pugs.

RIP Whitney