Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is experiencing fainting spells.

Bryna
May 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have a 12 year old Australian Cattle Dog who recently suffered a trauma. He was gored by a bull. The wound in superficial and just tore the flesh over his ribs. His accident happened April 25, 2009 but just a few days ago (Saturday) he started having fainting spells. It has only happened in the morning so far. He gets up to go outside, take a few steps, starts wobbling and then keels over. His eyes are open, he doesn't show signs of a full blown seizure. He salivates heavily and urinates and then he's fine just a few seconds later. Then he will get up and go to his bed like nothing ever happened. He is still eating and drinking. We took him to our vet and physically she couldn't see anything wrong with him. Everything seemed normal. Any thoughts on what could be happening?

cpietra16
May 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I would get a second opinion. It's obvious that something is not right. Did they do a scan, xrays. These spells may have coincided with the hit from the bull, but it sounds like it is related and something is not right internally.
I hope you get some answers soon

bendyfoot
May 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm totally just speculating here (not a vet), but fainting is usually associated with a circulation issue, right? Is it possible that the blow affected his heart somehow?

JennieV
May 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I would get a second opinion as well. It just sounds like he has some kind of internal trauma, which may be difficult to analyze by just a topical examination. You have to do x-rays and scans to identify the underlying problem. To explain what I mean: reminding you of the sad sad story of Natasha Richardson, when she fell. She seemed fine and then she wasn't. Not to compare the two, but just an example where precious time was lost.

Also, the two things may not even be related, but I suspect they are.

I hope all turns out well!
:pray:

Mat&Murph
May 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Definitly get another look from a vet. Mybe try a differnent vet. Hope all goes good and keep us posted

kandy
May 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
The blow could've also bruised his lung - if his blood isn't carrying enough oxygen, it could cause a fainting spell. I would also suggest a second opinion or at least a more in depth exam - sometimes a physical exam will not give accurate information.