Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boston Terrier involuntarly passing stool at night

jamesms
August 10th, 2004, 10:59 AM
For several months my boston terrier has been occassionally passing one or two hard balls of stool at night. For the most part it would happen infrequently, but starting last week it has been happing almost every night. I have tried changing his feeding schedule, walks, playing, and everything else I could think of that might be causing this. Has anybody had this problem and is there anything I can do? I have asked my vet, but was told that on examination there was nothing wrong with his rectal area. Thanks.

Goldenmom
August 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
More details?

What do you feed and when and how much? Is he potty trained all other times?

Heather

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2004, 11:54 AM
If the stools are very hard and dry, he sounds constipated and just may not be able to pass them when he should.

Maybe his food needs to have some fiber or moisture added to it.

jamesms
August 10th, 2004, 01:35 PM
He gets 1 cup of Iams per day. He weighs 22 pounds and is in excellent physical shape. I usually feed him around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I have tried adding water to the food to see if that helps, but generally makes it worse or no difference. He is completely potty trained and I have never had any problems there. He is three years old and part of the reason I have been so surprised about this is because since he was a puppy I have never had a single accident happen inside. Thank you so much for replying. It is nice just to be able to talk to some people about it.

Goldenmom
August 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Some of your problem "may" be the fact your are feeding the dog so late in the afternoon. Iams is not the best dog food out there, however, that is another discussion.

I would try 2 feedings a day, first thing in the morning and about 4:00 at night. Make sure the dog goes out right before bed.

This is really strange???

:confused:

For sure the next step would be a vet visit to rule out any medical problems. Especially if this just started???

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

grizgirls
July 14th, 2005, 08:41 AM
My Boston is 6 years old, 19 lbs, extremely good health. He has been on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach for his entire life (helps tremendously with the flatulence problem known in Bostons). He eats 1 - 2 cups a day, depending on his mood.

What began a year or so ago as a once-every-6-months-or-so problem is now daily. He involuntarily passes one-two hard, practically odorless stools while sleeping. In the beginning, it would occur only at night. Now, it's at least once daily - any time of day - but only when sleeping.

I definitely think he cannot control it - but it's making me crazy! The vet checked his stool for worms - all was fine. There is also no direct correlation between his eating more or less to an episode. It happens every day.

Can anyone lend any insight???

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Heh heh.. Our old Dobie used to do that when he got old... How old is your doggy?

If he's young, I'd go with the constipation idea or maybe something is wrong with the colon. Maybe it has lost sensation so the doggy can't tell..

Luba
July 14th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Feed your dog in the morning then again in late afternoon.

Once a day meals don't cut it...cut the serving in half and feed twice a day (1/2 in morning 1/2 in late afternoon/early evening).

Add fish oil to the diet as supplementation and maybe a teaspoon during one feeding of flax seed oil.

I feed home cooked to my dog, if you're ever interested you can add fresh foods to your dogs diet. Commercially prepared foods are basically for convenience and not he health of the dog.

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
And I'll add that commercial foods, like Iams, also contain stool hardeners which can cause constipation, and if your dog is already prone to it, will probably make it worse.

If your budget allows, look into Wellness, Solid Gold, Merrick, and other foods that are more natural. They may cost more in the beginning, but eventually, you will feed less, and have lower vet costs. :)

Sneaky
July 14th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Hi,
I also disagree with feeding Iams foods,
mostly because of the horrific and cruel practices they use to
test if their food is palatable to dogs (such as chopping
off of limbs and more worse things).
If you live in Canada, there is another food out there
called First Mate. It is very good quality food, has good ingredients,
and is low in the grains department (dogs dont digest grains easily).
They also make an organic natural food, with no preservatives, chemicals, and all the food products in it are organic. Great food, all my pets love it.
It is also quite affordable as well.
I have also found science diet to be a good food,
and I usually purchase those foods that are natural, and holistic.